June 4, 1981 |
|Other names||Triple Threat|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg)|
|Reach||67 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Houston,Texas|
|Team||Gracie Barra Champions
4 oz Fight Club
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Tonya Evinger (born June 4, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist. She previously competed for EliteXC and Raging Wolf, and now fights for Invicta Fighting Championships. Evinger is the current Invicta bantamweight champion.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 Mixed martial arts exhibition record
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Mixed martial arts career
Evinger faced Jennifer Tate at IFC: Warriors Challenge 21 on June 3, 2006 and lost via triangle choke in the second round. The fight was the first women's bout ever sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
She faced Brittany Pullen at FFF 1: Asian Invasion on February 17, 2007. She won the fight via a 16-second knockout in the first round.
Evinger faced Shonie Plagman at X-1: Extreme Fighting 2 on March 17, 2007. She won the fight by knockout 10 seconds into the second round.
Evinger faced Alexis Davis at Raging Wolf 7: Mayhem In The Mist 3 on May 8, 2010 for the Raging Wolf Women's Flyweight Championship. She lost the fight by rear-naked choke submission in the third round.
On November 6, 2010, Evinger rematched Alexis Davis at Raging Wolf 10. She was defeated by submission due to a rear-naked choke in the first round.
On September 23, 2011, Evinger stepped in on short notice to face Anita Rodriguez at XFL: Rumble on the River 5 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She defeated Rodriguez by submission due to a rear-naked choke in round one.
Evinger defeated Lacie Jackson by knockout in the first round at Fight Me MMA on April 13, 2012.
On November 10, 2012, Evinger made her flyweight debut against Carina Damm at Fight Hard MMA. She defeated Damm by split decision.
The Ultimate Fighter
In August 2013, it was announced that Evinger was one of the fighters selected to be on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate. In the elimination fight to get into the TUF house, Evinger faced Raquel Pennington and lost via guillotine choke submission in the second round.
Invicta Fighting Championships
After switching camps to Houston, Texas she joined team Gracie Barra Champions and 4 oz Fight Club, training her Boxing and Kickboxing with Aaron Pena (GBC) and MMA with Jeremy Mahon (4oz). Evinger next fought Ediane Gomes at Invicta Fighting Championships 8 on September 6, 2014. She won the fight via first round submission.
Evinger next fought Cindy Dandois at Invicta Fighting Championships 10 on December 5, 2014. She won the fight via second round submission, making her the front runner to fight for the vacant Invicta FC bantamweight title.
Evinger next fought Irene Aldana for the vacant Invicta FC bantamweight title at Invicta Fighting Championships 13 on July 9, 2015. She dominated the fight from bell to bell, almost finishing the fight early with an arm bar. Evinger would go on to stop Aldana in the 4th round via TKO(punches), claiming the Invicta FC bantamweight title.
Evinger next fought undefeated prospect, Pannie Kianzad. This was originally set as a title defense but both Evinger and Kianzad were unable to make weight,both being fined a percentage of their purse and was changed to a five round non title fight. Evinger ended up dispatching Kianzad in the 2nd round by TKO due to punches.
Evinger next fought Colleen Schneider at Invicta Fighting Championships 17 on May 7, 2016. Evinger successfully defended her bantamweight title by unanimous decision. Following the fight, Evinger celebrated her victory by kissing interviewer Laura Sanko on the lips.
Evinger would lose her bantamweight championship in an upset defeat to Russian newcomer Yana Kunitskaya by armbar submission in the first round on November 18, 2016. The loss was controversial because the referee told her to move from a legal position which may have led directly to the submission. Evinger appealed her loss and on December 1, 2016 the loss was changed to a no contest, so Evinger retained her title.
Evinger faced Kunitskaya in a rematch in the main event of Invicta FC 22 on March 25, 2017. She won the fight by submission in the second round to retain her title.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|25 matches||19 wins||5 losses|
|Win||19–5 (1)||Yana Kunitskaya||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Invicta FC 22: Evinger vs. Kunitskaya II||March 25, 2017||2||4:32||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Bantamweight Championship.|
|NC||18–5 (1)||Yana Kunitskaya||NC (overturned)||Invicta FC 20: Evinger vs. Kunitskaya||November 18, 2016||1||1:59||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Originally a submission loss (armbar). Overturned to a No Contest after Tonya Evinger successfully appealed her loss to the Missouri AC. Evinger retains her title.|
|Win||18–5||Colleen Schneider||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 17: Evinger vs. Schneider||May 7, 2016||5||5:00||Costa Mesa, California, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||17–5||Pannie Kianzad||TKO (punches)||Invicta FC 14: Evinger vs. Kianzad||September 12, 2015||2||3:34||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Catchweight (136,7 lbs); Kianzad missed weight; non-title bout|
|Win||16–5||Irene Aldana||TKO (punches)||Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin||July 9, 2015||4||4:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won the Invicta FC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||15–5||Cindy Dandois||Submission (armbar)||Invicta FC 10: Waterson vs. Tiburcio||December 5, 2014||2||1:23||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||14–5||Ediane Gomes||Submission (armbar)||Invicta FC 8: Waterson vs. Tamada||September 6, 2014||1||3:31||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||13–5||Sarah D'Alelio||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 7: Honchak vs. Smith||December 7, 2013||3||5:00||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||12–5||Carina Damm||Decision (split)||Fight Hard MMA||November 10, 2012||3||5:00||St. Charles, Missouri, United States||Flyweight debut.|
|Win||11–5||Lacie Jackson||KO (punch)||Fight Me MMA||April 13, 2012||1||1:47||St. Charles, Missouri, United States|
|Win||10–5||Anita Rodriguez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||XFL: Rumble on the River 5||September 23, 2011||1||1:57||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||9–5||Sara McMann||Decision (unanimous)||Titan FC 19: Krause vs. French||July 29, 2011||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
|Loss||9–4||Alexis Davis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||RW 10: Mayhem in the Mist 5||October 6, 2010||1||1:25||Niagara Falls, New York, United States||For Raging Wolf Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–3||Adrienna Jenkins||TKO (punches)||RW 8: Cage Supremacy||July 17, 2010||2||3:16||Salamanca, New York, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Alexis Davis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||RW 7: Mayhem in the Mist 3||May 8, 2010||3||1:47||Niagara Falls, New York, United States||For Raging Wolf Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||8–2||Sarah Schneider||Decision (unanimous)||True Fight Fans||June 6, 2008||3||5:00||Missouri, United States|
|Win||7–2||Julie Kedzie||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series||January 25, 2008||1||1:43||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||6–2||Katrine Alendal||Submission (armbar)||PFP: Ring of Fire||December 9, 2007||1||N/A||Manila, Philippines|
|Loss||5–2||Gina Carano||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EliteXC: Uprising||September 15, 2007||1||2:53||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Vanessa Porto||Submission (armbar)||FFF 2: Girls Night Out||July 14, 2007||1||2:14||Compton, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Ginele Marquez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tuff-N-Uff 2||April 14, 2007||3||1:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||Shonie Plagmann||KO (punch)||X-1: Extreme Fighting 2||March 17, 2007||2||0:10||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||3–0||Angela Hayes||TKO (punches)||Kick Enterprises||March 10, 2007||1||1:02||Ft. Myers, Florida, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brittany Pullen||KO (punch)||FFF 1: Asian Invasion||February 17, 2007||1||0:16||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|win||1–0||Brittany Pullen||KO (punches)||IFC: Warriors Challenge 21||June 3, 2006||2||1:56||Tuolumne, California, United States||First women's bout sanctioned by the CSAC.|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|1 match||0 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||0–1||Raquel Pennington||Submission (guillotine choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate||September 4, 2013||2||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
- "Tonya Evinger Awakening Profile". Awakeningfighters.com. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Tonya Evinger MMA Stats". Sherdog.com. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Nick Newell, Jake Ellenberger, Tonya Evinger, Torin Hill by MMA Roasted | Free Listening on SoundCloud". Soundcloud.com. 2015-04-29. Retrieved 2015-05-03.
- "Unified Women's Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "WATCH OUT tap or sleep midwest is still on the rise". YorkBlog.com. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Jennifer Tate Interview". FighterGirls.com. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Sacramento IFC Card Coming Together". Sherdog.com. 2006-03-24. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- "Ward, Modafferi and Case Win on All-Women’s Card". Sherdog.com. 2007-02-18. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Correira Loses, Vitale Wins in Front of Hawaiian Crowd". Sherdog.com. 2007-03-18. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "MMA Tournament Debuts in Las Vegas". Sherdog.com. 2007-04-15. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Ward Wins While Eying Mega Megu". Sherdog.com. 2007-07-15. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Elite XC notes: Carano carries torch for sport". Yahoo! Sports. 2007-06-16. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "ShoXC Play-by-Play". Sherdog.com. 2008-01-25. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Davis To Defend Against Evinger At Raging Wolf 7". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "Alexis Davis retains championship belt". SLAM! Fighting. 2010-05-09. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- "Jenkins Set To Face Evinger At Raging Wolf 8". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Evinger Dominates Jenkins At Raging Wolf 8". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Davis Submits Evinger Again, Retains Title At RW 10". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- "Sara McMann vs Tonya Evinger Agreed For Titan FC 19". MMARising.com. 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "Bobby Lashley Pulls Out of Titan Fighting Bout". MMAFighting.com. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "Sara McMann Defeats Tonya Evinger In TFC 19 Co-Feature". MMARising.com. 2011-07-29. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Weekend Recap: Jessica Eye, Tonya Evinger Earn Victories". MMARising.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "Fight Me MMA Results". Sherdog.com. 2012-04-13. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Weekend Recap: Tonya Evinger, Tamikka Brents Earn Key Wins". MMARising.com. 2012-11-11. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- Staff (2013-08-15). "'Ultimate Fighter' Season 18 cast revealed, including LaRosa, Baszler, Modafferi". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "INVICTA FC 7 COMING TO KANSAS CITY ON DECEMBER 7TH". InvictaFC.com. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Invicta FC 7 Adds Budd-Tweet, Kobold-Evinger, Holland-Ansaroff". MMARising.com. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Cyborg to face Evinger as Anderson withdraws". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.