|Perennial stream, diverted|
Overlooking Tooma River from Ardenside Road, Tooma
|States||New South Wales, Victoria|
|Regions||IBRA: Australian Alps, Snowy Mountains, Victorian Alps|
|Local government areas||Tumbarumba, Towong|
|Part of||Murray River, Murray–Darling basin|
|- left||Bulls Head Creek, Broadway Creek, Little River (Snowy Mountains), Yellow Bog Creek, Taylors Creek|
|- right||Pugilistic Creek, Hell Hole Creek, Tumbarumba Creek|
|- location||Mount Jagungal, New South Wales|
|- elevation||1,590 m (5,217 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Murray River|
|- location||near Tintaldra, Victoria|
|- elevation||236 m (774 ft)|
|Length||74 km (46 mi)|
Tooma River, a perennial stream that has had its flow diverted as a result of the Snowy Mountains Scheme, is part of the Murray catchment within the Murray–Darling basin and is located in the Australian Alpine region of New South Wales and Victoria, Australia.
Course and features
The river rises near Mount Jagungal on the western slopes of the Snowy Mountains and its natural flow drains generally north, then west before turning south, joined by eight tributaries including the Tumbarumba Creek, and reaching its confluence with the Murray River between the villages of Tooma and Tintaldra; descending 1,350 metres (4,430 ft) over its 74 kilometres (46 mi) course.
The Tooma Reservoir, part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme, captures water in the headwaters of the Tooma River, and diverts the water to the Tumut Pondage on the Tumut River, where the water is used to generate electricity in the sequence of hydro-electric power stations along the length of the Tumut River. This diversion results in a transfer of water from the Murray River catchment (which includes the Tooma River), to the Murrumbidgee River catchment (which includes the Tumut River). However, a compensating opposite transfer from the Murrumbidgee to the Murray basins is made using a different part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme.
- List of rivers of New South Wales (L-Z)
- List of rivers of Australia
- Snowy Mountains
- Rivers of New South Wales
- Rivers of Victoria
- "Tooma River". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Thoms, Martin; Suter, Phil; Roberts, Jane; Koehn, John; et. al (June 2000). "Report of the River Murray Scientific Panel on Environmental Flows" (PDF). Murray–Darling Basin Commission. p. 26. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Map of Tooma River". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Murray River catchment (NSW)" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.
- Snowy Flow Response Monitoring and Modelling
- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954). Announcement of the Snowy River Scheme and planned diversion. 15 February 1949.
- Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Agreements Act 1958 No 20