||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
|Stable release||11g Release 1 (220.127.116.11.0) / June 1, 2011|
|Platform||Java Virtual Machine|
In computing, TopLink is an object-relational mapping (ORM) package for Java developers. It provides a framework for storing Java objects in a relational database or for converting Java objects to XML documents.
The Object People (that's the "Top" in the Name) originally developed TopLink in Smalltalk in the 1990s. In 1996-1998 a Java version of the product was created named "TopLink for Java". After the joint acquisition of The Object People in April 2000 by BEA Systems and WebGain, the TopLink product-line became the property of WebGain
In 2006, Oracle donated source code from the TopLink product and development resources to the open-source Sun Microsystems java.net GlassFish project. It became the Java EE EJB 3.0 JPA reference implementation.
In March 2008 the Eclipse Foundation announced that Sun Microsystems had selected the EclipseLink project as the reference implementation for the JPA 2.0, JSR 317 standard. 
As well as functioning as an object-relational mapping tool, TopLink has other features including:
- query framework that supports an object-oriented expression framework, Query by Example (QBE), EJB QL, SQL, and stored procedures
- an object-level transaction framework
- caching to ensure object identity
- a set of direct and relational mappings
- object-to-XML mappings, in addition to JAXB support
- EIS/JCA support for non-relational datasources
- visual mapping editor (Mapping Workbench)
- limited support for query in memory
- A Brief History of TopLink by Donald Smith
- "Oracle Proposes Open Source Persistence Project at Eclipse Foundation". Oracle. March 6, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Eclipse Announces EclipseLink Project to Deliver JPA 2.0 Reference Implementation". Eclipse Foundation. March 17, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- Best Java Data Access Tool or Driver by Java Pro
- Best Java Data Access Tool by JavaWorld
- 4th best Java persistence architecture by Java Developer's Journal
- Oracle TopLink Official Home
- Oracle TopLink Quick Tour
- Oracle TopLink Forum
- Oracle TopLink Wiki
- TopLink Essentials Home
- TopLink Essentials Mailing List
- Unofficial TopLink Wiki
- Master the New Persistence Paradigm with JPA