Top Chef: Just Desserts
|Top Chef: Just Desserts|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Magical Elves|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||September 15, 2010– October 26, 2011|
Top Chef: Just Desserts is an American reality competition show, spun off from Top Chef. It premiered on the cable television network Bravo on September 15, 2010. Top Chef: Just Desserts features pastry chefs competing in a series of culinary challenges, focusing on pastries and desserts. The show is produced by Magical Elves Productions, the same company that created Top Chef and Project Runway, and distributed by Bravo and Tiger Aspect USA. It is hosted by Gail Simmons, with head judge Johnny Iuzzini, head pastry chef at Jean-Georges. Other judges include Hubert Keller, owner of restaurant Fleur de Lys and a Top Chef Masters finalist, and Dannielle Kyrillos, "an entertaining expert and Editor-at-Large of DailyCandy".
In every episode of Top Chef: Just Desserts, there are two challenges: a Quickfire Challenge and an Elimination Challenge. The Quickfire Challenge is a short challenge that tests each contestant's fundamental skills. The Elimination Challenge is usually more difficult and tests the chefs' creativity and adaptability in using specific ingredients or fulfilling a certain client's needs.
This was the first season of the spin-off show for Top Chef. The series premiered on September 15 and concluded on November 17, 2010. The winner of this season was Yigit Pura.
A second season was announced on February 3, 2011. The show premiered on August 24, 2011. The second season had 10 episodes and the finale aired on October 26, 2011. Chris Hanmer was declared the winner.
- "Save Room For Bravo's "Top Chef Just Desserts"". The Futon Critic. July 30, 2010.
- "Gail Simmons to Host First Season of Top Chef: Just Desserts". Eater National. January 10, 2010.
- "Bios: Hubert Keller, Top Chef Just Desserts judge". Bravo TV.com. Bravo Media LLC. 2010.
- "Bios: Dannielle Kyrollos, Top Chef Just Desserts judge". Bravo TV.com. Bravo Media LLC. 2010.
- "About: Top Chef: Just Desserts, Season One". Bravo TV.com. Bravo Media LLC. 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (February 3, 2011). "Bravo Announces Sweet Pick-up of "Top Chef Just Desserts" Season Two". TV by the Numbers via Bravo press release.
- "About: Top Chef Just Desserts, Season Two". BravoTV.com. Bravo Media LLC. 2011.