Top Country Albums
Top Country Albums is a chart published weekly by Billboard magazine in the United States. The 50-position chart lists the most popular country music albums in the country, calculated weekly by Nielsen Music based on physical sales along with digital sales and streaming. The chart was first published in the issue of Billboard dated January 11, 1964 under the title Hot Country Albums, when the number one album was Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash by Johnny Cash.
The chart changed its name to Top Country LP's in the issue of Billboard dated January 13, 1968, Top Country LPs (with no apostrophe) in the issue dated May 31, 1980, and Top Country Albums in the issue dated October 20, 1984.
From its launch until May 1991, the chart was compiled based on sales reports submitted by a representative sample of record stores nationwide. In 1991 the sales reports were replaced by electronic point of sale data. Since February 2017 the chart has been "based on multi-metric consumption (blending traditional album sales, track equivalent albums, and streaming equivalent albums)".
The record for the most weeks spent at number one by an album is 50, achieved by both Shania Twain's Come On Over and This One's for You by Luke Combs. George Strait has achieved the most number ones, reaching the top spot with 27 albums.
Artists with most cumulative weeks at number one
The followings acts have achieved at least 50 weeks at number one, as of the issue of Billboard dated May 1 2021.
Artists with most consecutive number one albums
The following artists have garnered the most consecutive number one albums on the Top Country Albums chart.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Joel Whitburn Presents Hot Country Albums: Billboard 1964 to 2007. Record Research, Incorporated. p. 6. ISBN 9780898201734.
- McIntyre, Hugh (November 4, 2019). "Luke Combs' Debut Is Now Tied As The Longest-Running No. 1 Country Album Ever". Forbes. Retrieved November 21, 2019.
- Hermanson, Wendy (October 28, 2019). "Luke Combs Ties Shania Twain For Longest No.1 Country Album". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- Cerio, Michael (April 10, 2019). "George Strait scores his 27th number one album". AOL. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- "Carrie Underwood 'My Savior' debuts at No 1". The Music Universe. 2021-04-06. Retrieved 2021-04-08.