Top Spin 3
|Top Spin 3|
Players Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick appear on the U.S. cover art for the game. Roddick was replaced by Andy Murray (UK version) and by Rafael Nadal (Spanish version)
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Top Spin 3 is the third title in the Top Spin series of video games. The game was developed by PAM Development and published by 2K Sports. New game elements include real-time weather effects, more options of professional tennis players, an in-depth character creation tool and new unparalleled gameplay mechanics. It also features impressive advancements in an audio/visual sense with improved Dolby Digital surround sound and "Evolutionary" visuals. Top Spin 4 was released as a sequel about three years later.
Top Spin 3 incorporates various new features including:
- The incorporation of the right thumbstick, allow for more precise movements and shot variety
- World tennis players' movements and likeness are accurately depicted along with apparel.
- Tennis Legends are now included in the roster of playable licensed players.
- All-new soundtrack: New music is included featuring Jamiroquai, Calvin Harris, Boys Like Girls, The Go! Team, The Stone Roses, and Franz Ferdinand with 'Huddle Formation' being the menu song.
- World Tour: Players are given the opportunity to participate in ranked online tournaments and matches. A new season starts every 1st and 16th day of the month.
The Wii version features motion controls, several venues including three Grand Slams, and multiplayer party games. It features 16 licensed players. This version does not contain online multiplayer gameplay nor does it contain career mode. It runs on a modified Top Spin 2 engine, and features stylized graphics.
Top Spin 3 includes 20 playable professional tennis players including today's superstars, and past professionals.
|PS3||PlayStation 3 Exclusive|
|Unavailable on Wii|
Grand Slam Majors:
- Roland Garros - Paris - Clay
- US Open - New York - Hard
- Australian Open - Melbourne - Hard
- Brinsley Carlenton Court - Dublin - Grass
- Pacific Life Open - Indian Wells - Hard
- Sony Ericsson Open - Miami - Hard
- BNP Paribas Masters - Paris - Indoor
- Canada Tennis Center - Toronto - Hard
- Madrid Indoor Sports Arena - Madrid - Indoor
- Cincinnati Tennis Center - Cincinnati - Hard
- Stadio San Alessandro - Rome - Clay
- Hamburg Stadhalle - Hamburg - Hard
- Moscow Tennis Arena - Moscow - Indoor
- Seoul Colosseum - Seoul - Hard
- Thorsten Brom Stadium - Munich - Grass
- Casablanca Tennis Complex - Casablanca - Clay
- Amsterdam Tennis Park - Amsterdam - Hard
- Buenos Aires Tennis Center - Buenos Aires - Clay
- Barcelona Tennis Arena - Barcelona - Clay
- Estadio do Sol - Estoril - Hard
- Westside Drive - Houston - Clay
- London Tennis Club - London - Grass
- Texas Arena - Dallas - Hard
- Vienna Tennis Center - Vienna - Hard
- Boston Bay Tennis Center - Boston - Grass
- Abhijava Stadium - New Delhi - Hard
- Dubai Sports Complex - Dubai - Indoor
- Silvije Krleza - Omis - Hard
- Rio Beach Tennis Center - Rio de Janeiro - Indoor
- Teranga Tennis Court - Dakar - Clay
- Stavgaard Tennis hall - Stavgaard - Indoor
- New Hampshire College Court - New Hampshire - Grass
- Tennis Park - Hamilton - Hard
- Chicago Public Courts - Chicago - Hard
- Atlanta's Doves - Atlanta - Hard
- Mediterranean Leisure Club - Zakynthos - Hard
- Kobe Community Tennis Courts - Kobe - Hard
- El Sol Spring Camp - Mexico City - Hard
- Suva Sports Resort - Suva - Indoor
- Tokyo Tennis Box - Tokyo - Indoor
Nintendo DS Exclusive:
- Shanghai Challenge - Shanghai - Hard
- Indoor!! - Houston - Indoor
- Amazon Jungle - Amazon - Clay
- Beach Night - Hawaii - Hard
- Garden - Athens - Grass
- Rooftop - New York - Grass
Note: along with the exclusive ones, the only available courts for the DS are the 4 Grand Slams, Indian Wells, Miami, Rome and Chicago.
- German website 4Players gave the game 64/100, citing awkward controls and a steep learning curve as the game's downfall.
- GamePro Germany rated the game 89/100 with the reviewer claiming excellent gameplay.The reviewer believed the gameplay, although having a steep learning curve, offers great depth and a more realistic simulation of tennis.
- IGN AU awarded Top Spin 3 an 8.0/10, one of the only downsides being that the risk shot system 'still isn't right', referring to the previous problems in Top Spin 2 and the original.
- Xbox World 360 awarded the game 90/100, saying that it would "take stiff competition for Top Spin 3 to be anything other than the best sports title of 2008", praising the game's emphasis on skill and calling it as big a step forward for tennis games as Skate was for skateboarding.
It was a nominee for Best Sports Game for the Nintendo DS by IGN for their 2008 video game awards.
- Top Spin 3 for PlayStation 3 - Top Spin 3 PlayStation 3 Game - Top Spin 3 PlayStation 3 Video Game
- Top Spin 3 for Wii - Top Spin 3 Wii Game - Top Spin 3 Wii Video Game
- Top Spin 3 for Xbox 360 - Top Spin 3 Xbox 360 Game - Top Spin 3 Xbox 360 Video Game
- Top Spin 3 for DS - Top Spin 3 DS Game - Top Spin 3 DS Video Game
- Top Spin 3 bouncing onto PS3 and 360 at GameSpot
- Sarkar, Samit (2008-02-27). "Top Spin 3 roster and screens: check out Boris Becker's rugged good looks". Destructoid. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- Top Spin 3 DS Gameplay on YouTube, showing the complete list of courts for the DS.
- "Top Spin 3 Review", Official Xbox Magazine UK (July 2008): 85.
- "IGN DS: Best Sports Game 2008". IGN.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2008-12-19.