|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Revenue||£1.8 billion|
|£357.5 million|
Topman is a UK-based multinational men's fashion store chain founded by Burton (later renamed Arcadia) in 1978. Along with its women's clothing counterpart Topshop, Topman was a subsidiary of the Arcadia Group when it went into administration in late 2020. The brand was purchased by ASOS on 1 February 2021.
Arcadia Group financial problems
In May 2019, the BBC and The Wall Street Journal both reported that, after its parent company Arcadia Group filed for bankruptcy, Topshop would close all 11 of its U.S. stores, including Topman. Apparel would be distributed digitally and through other wholesale partners, such as Nordstrom.
In the UK, Arcadia Group went into administration at 8pm GMT on 30 November 2020. On 25 January 2021, ASOS said it was in "exclusive" talks to buy Arcadia's Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge and HIIT brands out of administration, though it only wanted the brands, not the shops. A consortium including Next had earlier dropped a bid to buy Topshop and Topman; interest in Arcadia operations had also been expressed by Mike Ashley's Frasers Group, a consortium including JD Sports, and online retailer Boohoo.
On 1 February 2021, ASOS announced it had acquired the four Arcadia brands out of administration for £265 million, paying an additional £65 million for current and pre-ordered stock. ASOS will keep 300 employees on as part of the deal but will not keep any of the brands' 70 stores, putting 2,500 jobs at risk.They plan to relaunch in May 2021.
Topman was nominated for the 'Menswear Design of the Year' award by the British Fashion Council, winner of 'Best Fashion Retailer' at the Maxim Style Awards for 2005 and winner of 'Best High Street Retailer' at the 2007 FHM Fashion and Grooming awards.
In 2011, Topman worked closely with Teenage Cancer Trust. The company worked in collaboration with children from the charity to produce a range of sunglasses designed by them whilst supporting the 'Rock your Shades' campaign in May 2011.
- "Topman "Our History"". Arcadia Group. Archived from the original on 30 June 2014. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Sciarretto, Amy (24 May 2019). "Topshop Is Closing All Of Its U.S. Stores After Bankruptcy Filing". Bustle. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- Butler, Sarah; Partridge, Joanna (30 November 2020). "Philip Green's Arcadia Group collapses into administration". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Mustoe, Howard (27 November 2020). "Topshop owner Arcadia on brink of collapse". BBC News. Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "Asos frontrunner to buy Topshop, Topman and Miss Selfridge brands". BBC News. 25 January 2021. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- Makortoff, Kalyeena (1 February 2021). "Asos buys Topshop and Miss Selfridge brands for £295m". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- Nazir, Sahar (1 February 2021). "Asos acquires Topshop, Topman & Miss Selfridge in £330m deal". Retail Gazette. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Topman". heartintelligence.be.
- "Topman". The Retail Appointment.