Torbay (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Torbay in Devon
Location of Devon within England
|Electorate||76,219 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Paignton and Torquay|
|Member of Parliament||Kevin Foster (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
1974-1983: The County Borough of Torbay.
1983-2010: The Borough of Torbay wards of Cockington with Chelston, Coverdale, Ellacombe, Preston, St Marychurch, St Michael's with Goodrington, Shiphay, Tormohun, and Torwood.
2010–present: The Borough of Torbay wards of Clifton with Maidenway, Cockington with Chelston, Ellacombe, Goodrington with Roselands, Preston, Roundham with Hyde, St Marychurch, Shiphay with the Willows, Tormohun, Watcombe, and Wellswood.
The constituency covers the majority of the Torbay unitary authority in Devon, including the seaside resorts of Torquay and most of Paignton. The remainder of the borough is covered by the Totnes constituency.
- Political history
After being held for several Parliaments (taking together various predecessor areas) by Conservatives, from 1997 the seat was held by Liberal Democrats until 2015 when a Conservative re-took it. The majority in 1997 was the most marginal of that election, and the majority of 2,029 in 2005 was the lowest since then.
- Prominent frontbenchers
Consisting almost entirely of coastal towns and villages, the constituency has a range of shopping, tourist and visitor facilities from Paignton Zoo, safe bathing and boating to mini-golf, as well as a few nearby luxury resorts. Perhaps owing to the seasonal rise in employment, workless claimants, registered jobseekers, were in November 2012 significantly higher than the national average of 3.8%, at 5.0% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
The seat is home to the Plainmoor football ground, home to Torquay United. Past MP Adrian Sanders is a notable supporter of the football club.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||Sir Frederic Bennett||Conservative|
|1997||Adrian Sanders||Liberal Democrat|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Lee Howgate|
|Liberal Democrats||Deborah Brewer||12,858||25.1||−8.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||16,265||33.8||−13.2|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrats||Swing||+7.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||23,126||47.0||+5.2|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+1.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||19,317||40.8||−9.7|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||−4.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||24,015||50.5||+10.9|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+7.05|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||21,094||39.6||−0.2|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Paul Wild||100||0.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats gain from Conservative||Swing||5.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Adrian Sanders||22,837||39.8||+2.2|
|National Front||Robert Jones||268||0.5||N/A|
|Natural Law||Alison Thomas||157||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
Elections in the 1970s
|National Front||June Spry||647||1.0||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)
- Council, Torbay. "Parliamentary elections". www.torbay.gov.uk. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "2017 general election candidates in Devon". Devon Live. 11 May 2017. Archived from the original on 11 May 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Torbay - 2015 Election Results - General Elections Online". geo.digiminster.com. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated and Notice of Poll: Torbay". Torbay Borough Council. 21 April 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Torbay". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1987. Politics Resources. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1983. Politics Resources. Retrieved 16 November 2011.