Torch Theatre, Milford Haven
|Address||St. Peter's Road|
Milford Haven, Wales
|Owner||Torch Theatre Company|
|Capacity||297 (Main House)|
102 (Studio Theatre)
Established in 1977, it is one of only three building-based producing theatres in the whole of Wales. The initial concept was a small community enterprise, linked with a Further Education centre in the adjacent building. Expansion however meant that it became a much larger project. The theatre was designed by local architect, Monty Minter. It was built at a cost of £500,000, and opened with a production of Relatively Speaking. As well as hosting touring productions, the Torch possesses its own independent theatre company which produces and tours its own shows. Since the late 1980s, it has been the only cinema in the town.
In 2006, the theatre commenced a £5.4 million redevelopment. In August 2007, Milford Haven Town Council voted to cut the grant it provides to the theatre, which in turn will affect the much more substantial income from the Arts Council of Wales.
- Wing Commander Ken McKay A Vision Of Greatness: The History of Milford 1790-1990, Brace Harvatt Associates, 1989. ISBN 9780951521205
- "Torch Theatre celebrates its 40th Anniversary, with a spectacular re-working of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest!". Tenby Observer. 22 September 2017.
- Home Page www.torchtheatre.co.uk
- "About The Torch Theatre". torchtheatre.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-03-09.
- Funding row over Connie theatre BBC News, Article, 09-08-2007