|Born||21 May 1951
Livingston, Montana, U.S.
Wales since 1980
|Alma mater||Whitman College|
|Known for||factual books about her experiences|
|Fields||autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, selective mutism|
Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born 21 May 1951 in Livingston, Montana, U.S.), is a special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counseling children with special needs.
Hayden attended high school in Billings, Montana and graduated in 1969. She attended Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington. She received a master's degree in special education from Montana State University Billings in 1975 and moved to University of Minnesota in Minneapolis for a doctorate in educational psychology. While there, she also worked with the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in the university hospitals.
Hayden moved to Wales in 1980 and married a Scotsman named Ken in 1982. In 1985 they had a daughter (Sheena). Hayden is divorced.
She has written four books of fiction in addition to her non-fiction books (see below).
- One Child (1980)
- Somebody Else’s Kids (1981)
- Murphy’s Boy (1983) / Silent Boy (British title for Murphy's Boy)
- Just Another Kid (1988)
- Ghost Girl (1991)
- The Tiger’s Child (1995)
- Beautiful Child (2002)
- Twilight Children (2005)
- Skylark (expected, May 2018)
- The Sunflower Forest (1984)
- The Mechanical Cat (1998) / Overheard In A Dream (English title for The Mechanical Cat)
- The Very Worst Thing (2003)
- Ziji or The puppy who learned to meditate (2009)
- Innocent Foxes (2011) (In UK)
- "The Books". Torey Hayden official website. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Biography". Torey Hayden official website. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Hall of Fame 2007 Torey Hayden Author". National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- Cowdrey, Katherine. "Bluebird reveals raft of new deals with Johansen, Hart and Hayden". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2 June 2017.