|• Mayor||Hilde Crevits (CD&V)|
|• Governing party/ies||CD&V|
|• Total||45.23 km2 (17.46 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
Torhout (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈtɔrɦʌu̯t]) (West Flemish: Toeroet) is a municipality located in the Belgian province of West Flanders. The municipality comprises the city of Torhout proper, the villages of Wijnendale and Sint-Henricus, and the hamlet of De Driekoningen. On January 1, 2012, Torhout had a total population of 20,149. The total area is 45.23 km² which gives a population density of 445 inhabitants per km².
People associated with Torhout
- Rimbert, saint
- Josse van Huerter, first settler, and captain-major of the island of Faial in the Portuguese Azores.
- Karel Van Wijnendaele (Founder of Tour of Flanders (Tour of Flanders))
- Benny Vansteelant (Multiple World Champion Duathlon) and Joerie Vansteelant
Torhout-Werchter was until 1999 one of the largest annual pop festivals in Europe. Efforts were made to have a world music festival in Torhout after Torhout Werchter became Rock Werchter, held in Werchter only.
The main club of the city is Torhout 1992 KM.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- Media related to Torhout at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website - Information available in Dutch and limited information available in French, English and German
|This West Flanders location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|