2016 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Isaac
5 July 1995 |
Moree, New South Wales
|Club||University of Queensland|
|Coached by||Wayne Leaver|
Torita Isaac (born 5 July 1995) is an Indigenous Australian athlete. She represented Australia at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in athletics and won a bronze medal at the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships. She represented Australia at the 2016 Rio Paralympics in athletics.
Isaac was born on 5 July 1995 in Moree, New South Wales. She is from Jimboomba, Queensland. She was born with cerebral palsy, is blind in her right eye and has only 10% minimised vision in her left. She has fractured her legs eleven times. She has broken both arms falling off a horse. Isaac is from the Kamilaroi Aboriginal people in the Moree region of New South Wales.
Isaas is an ambassador for the Raise the Bar Academy, a program run by Athletics Australia and Melbourne University, for indigenous secondary school students. She said "“I’ve always wanted to inspire and show my heritage off.I’d like to be a mentor to indigenous kids and also kids with disability in sports. I want to represent Australia, but also my community and my culture. If I can show young indigenous kids you can do something, that nothing can stop you, then that’s extra special for me." 
Isaac first joined an athletics club in 2011, and specialises in sprints. She has been classified as a T13 before being reclassified to T38. She is a former member of Jimboomba Athletics Club.
Isaac competed in the 2012 Sydney Track Classic, 2012 Brisbane Track Classic and the 2012 Adelaide Track Classic. At the 2012 Summer Paralympics, she finished seventh in the 100 m T38, seventh in the 200 m T38 and fourth in the 4 × 100 m Relay T35-38event.
Competing at the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, she finished seventh in both the Women's 100m and 200m T38. At the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships in Doha, she won a bronze medal in the Women's 400m T38.
- "Doha 2015". Athletics Australia website. 26 October 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Australian Paralympic Athletics Team announced". Australian Paralympic Committee News, 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Torita Isaac profile". International Paralympic Committee website. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Torita Isaac". Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Kay, Ross (2012-08-09). "Who are our Queensland Paralympians? - ABC Wide Bay Qld — Australian Broadcasting Corporation". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Boswell, Tom (2012-07-11). "London looms for Jimboomba athlete Torita Isaac | News, events and sport for Logan". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Aug. 7, 2012, 3:44 a.m. (2012-08-07). "Isaac ready for London". Moree Champion. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Lawrence, Ellisa (5 September 2016). "Paralympics 2016: We're the Superhumans - Queensland's champions". Courier Mail. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Sullivan named among final seven for Australian London 2012 athletics team | Athletics News". insideworldparasport.biz. 2012-07-20. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Torita Isaac recent performances". Nswathletics.info. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Paralympics Team List". BigPond Sport. 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Rio Paralympics Results https://www.rio2016.com/en/paralympics/athletics-women-s-400m-t38-final. Retrieved 5 November 2016. Missing or empty