|Language(s)||Norwegian, Scottish Gaelic|
|Derivation||1. Þorr + móðr|
|Meaning||1. Þorr + "mind", "courage"|
Tormod is a masculine Norwegian and Scottish Gaelic given name. The Norwegian name is derived from the Old Norse personal name Þórmóðr. This name is composed of two elements: Þorr, the name of the Norse god of thunder; and móðr, meaning "mind", "courage". The Gaelic name is derived from the Old Norse personal names Þórmóðr and Þormundr. A variant of the Norwegian name is Thormod . An Anglicised form of the Scottish Gaelic name is Norman.
People with the given name
- Tormod Andreassen, Norwegian curler
- Tormod Kark, slave and friend of Håkon Sigurdsson
- Tormod Kristoffer Hustad (1889-1973), Norwegian councillor of state and minister
- Tormod Granheim (born 1974), Norwegian adventurer and motivational speaker
- Tormod Haugen (1945-2008), Norwegian author
- Tormod Kristoffer Hustad (1889-1973), Norwegian architect and politician
- Tormod Knutsen (born 1932), Norwegian Nordic combined athlete
- Tormod MacGill-Eain (1937-2017), Scottish Gaelic comedian, novelist, poet, musician and broadcaster
- Tormod MacLeod (fl.13th century), a Scottish clan chief
- Tormod Mobraaten (1910–1991), Norwegian-Canadian skier
- Tormod Skagestad (1920-1997), Norwegian poet, novelist, playwright, actor and theatre director
- Tormod Petter Svennevig (1929–2016), Norwegian diplomat and politician
- Coleman, NL; Veka, O (2010). A Handbook of Scandinavian Names. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. ISBN 978-0-299-24834-5 – via Google Books.
- Cox, RAV (2009). "Towards a Taxonomy of Contact Onomastics: Norse Place-Names in Scottish Gaelic" (PDF). The Journal of Scottish Name Studies. 3: 15–28. ISSN 1747-7387 – via Clann Tuirc.
- Hanks, P; Hardcastle, K; Hodges, F (2006) . A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- Hanks, P; Coates, R; McClure, P, eds. (2016). The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland. Vol. 3. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-879883-5.
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|