Toroidion is an aspiring Finnish car manufacturer domiciled in Raasepori. In 2015 Toroidion introduced the electric supercar 1MW Concept. Toroidion Ltd claimed to have solved core problems that have prevented making electric cars practical, but evidence of this claim has not emerged. A utility model details a central stator divided in multiple sections, each of which is fed three-phase current with a separate frequency converter. This enables a lower voltage at higher power. More elements can be added to the engine in axial direction, so that an engine can have 20 or more frequency converters. Toroidion has claimed that the lower operating voltage makes an electric car safer. Racing driver Mika Salo joined Toroidion's R&D team in 2016. Toroidion is aiming at participation in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race within a few years.
The 1MW produces 1,341 hp (1,000 kW; 1,360 PS). Each wheel is powered by its own motor. The front wheels each have 268 hp; 272 PS (200 kW) motors and rear wheels each have 402 hp; 408 PS (300 kW) motors. The car is capable of accelerating from 0 to 400 km/h (249 mph) in 11 seconds. The battery of the car is of rapid-swap and high-capacity type.
On 8th January 2019 was reported that production of Toroidion is starting, cars are made upon orders and maximum production capacity is 75. Produced model is named as EUSSTA M1. The car is priced as 250 000 Euros.
- Honkanen, Velimatti (2015-04-29). "Toroidion – superautoluokan sähkötekniikkaa Suomesta (lisäkuvat)". Tekniikan Maailma (in Finnish). Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- "IS Monacossa: Ruhtinas Albert paljasti yli tuhannen hevosvoiman suomalaisen superauton!". Ilta Sanomat (in Finnish). 2016-04-16. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- "Hakemuksen asiakirjat U20164015" (in Finnish). Patentti- Ja Rekisterihallitus. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Tervola, Janne (2016-09-12). "Salaisuus 1 341 hevosvoiman takana - näin toimivat suomalaisen superauto Toroidionin sähkömoottorit". Tekniikka & Talous. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Biesbrouck, Tim (2016-09-12). "Toroidion attracts Mika Salo while preparing for Le Mans". Electric Autosport. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Sommer, Marcel (2016-02-01). "Toroidion 1MW: In 11 Sekunden auf 400 km/h: Der Elektro-Überhammer mit 1360 PS". Focus (in German). Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Weiss, C.C. (2015-04-18). "Finland's Toroidion electrifies the street with 1,341-hp 1MW concept car". New Atlas. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- Talouselämä: Toroidionin valmistus alkaa - Länsi-Uusimaa: 250 000 eurolla saa suomalaisen supersähköauton | Talouselämä, accessdate: 8. January 2019