Tororo Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture of Construction Materials|
|Products||Cement, Galvanized Iron, Steel Bars, Nails|
Number of employees
Tororo Cement Limited (TCL), a Ugandan company, is one of the largest manufacturers of construction materials in eastern Africa.
The main factories of TCL are in the town of Tororo, approximately 230 kilometres (140 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. This is approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi), by road, west of the border town of Malaba and the international border between Uganda and Kenya. The coordinates of the main factory are 0°39'36.0"N, 34°09'18.0"E (Latitude:0.6600; Longitude:34.1550).
TCL is the largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda, producing an estimated 1.8 million metric tonnes annually. In second place is Hima Cement Limited, which produces an estimated 850,000 metric tonnes annually.
In July 2015, TCL began a US$25 million (about USh:86 billion) expansion to increase annual production to 3.0 million metric tonnes.
TCL was established in 1952 by the British colonial government to manufacture cement from the abundantly available limestone in the area around the town of Tororo in the Eastern Region. The company, then known as Uganda Cement Industries (UCI), was administered as a parastatal company under the umbrella of the Uganda Development Corporation. In 1995, the government of Uganda divested from UCI, which was then acquired by the present owners and re-branded as Tororo Cement Limited.
The shares of stock of TCL are privately held. The detailed shareholding in the company is not publicly disclosed.
- Tajuba, Paul (3 September 2015). "UNRA to erect weighbridges on Tororo road to prevent damage". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Tororo With Map". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Map Showing Malaba And Tororo With Distance Marker". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Google. "Location of Tororo Cement Limited At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Mugabe, David (10 September 2014). "CMA to discuss funding options at oil and minerals meet". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Lafarge Uganda. "Hima Cement Limited". Lafarge.Co.Ug (Lafarge Uganda). Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Odeke, Faustine (30 July 2015). "Tororo cement in sh86b expansion". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Tororo Cement. "Brief History of Tororo Cement Limited". Tororo Cement Limited. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Michira, Moses (27 January 2011). "New cement firms ride on low prices to grow sales". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 1 August 2015.