Torpo stave church
Torpo stave church (Norwegian: Torpo stavkyrkje) is a stave church located in Torpo, a small village in Ål municipality, in Buskerud County, Norway. Torpo is located along Norwegian National Road 7, the Norwegian national road which runs between Oslo and Bergen.
Built in 1192, the Torpo stave church is the oldest building within the valley and traditional district of Hallingdal. The church was dedicated to Saint Margareta. The stave church was purchased by the municipality in 1875. It was initially planned to expand it with an annex to the east, but in 1879 it was decided instead to modernize the interior with new ceiling and gallery. Following protest from the Ancient Monuments Society (Fortidsminneforeningen), the municipality decided to build a new church (Torpo Kyrkje) on the adjacent property. The new church was built north of the old one with the two churches standing side by side.
Runic inscription N 110
The Torpo stave church is one of two stave churches that are signed by their craftsmen, the other being the church at Ål. In both churches a runic inscription reads: Torolf built this church. The full runic inscription in the Torpo stave church, which is listed as N 110 in the Rundata catalog, reads:
- §A þorolfr : gærþi : kirku þesa ÷: askrimr ÷ hakon ÷ ælikr ÷ pal ¶ æinriþi ÷ siønti ÷ þorolfr
- §B þorer ÷ ræist
- §C olafr
This translates as "Þórolfr made this church. Ásgrímr, Hákon, Erlingr, Páll, Eindriði, Sjaundi, Þórulfr. Þórir carved. Ólafr."
- Torpo stavkirke (Olavsrosa)
- Torpo Kirke (Norsk Institutt for kulturminneforskning)
- Middelaldermaleriet i Torpo stavkirke (University of Oslo, 2007)
- Ål kommune: Torpo stavkirke / Torpo Stabkirche og Torpo kyrkje (Bilder av stavkirken)
- Project Samnordisk Runtextdatabas Svensk - Rundata entry for N 110.
- Bugge Gunnar. Stavkirker, Stave Churches in Norway (Dreyers Forlag. Oslo: 1983) ISBN 82-504-2072-1
- Christie, Sigrid and Haakon. Norges kirker – Buskerud (Norske Mindesmerker. Oslo: 1981) ISBN 82-05-13123-6
- Dietrichson, Lorentz. Norske Stavkirker: Studier Over Deres System, Oprindelse Og Historiske Udvikling (Kristiania: 1892) New edition: (Gregg Publishing; September 1971) ISBN 0-576-19100-0