Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Argyll
The Duke of Argyll
|Duke of Argyll|
Portrait by Allan Warren, 2013
|Known for||Chief of Clan Campbell, elephant polo, landowning|
|Born||Torquhil Ian Campbell|
29 May 1968
|Parents||Ian Campbell, 12th Duke of Argyll|
Torquhil Ian Campbell, 13th and 6th Duke of Argyll (born 29 May 1968), styled as Earl of Campbell before 1973 and as Marquess of Lorne between 1973 and 2001, is a Scottish peer.
The family's main seat is Inveraray Castle, although the Duke and Duchess spend time at other residences, including one in London.
The Duke is the elder child and only son of Ian Campbell, 12th and 5th Duke of Argyll and Iona Mary Colquhoun, daughter of Sir Ivar Colquhoun, 8th Baronet. He was educated at Craigflower Preparatory School, Cargilfield Preparatory School, Glenalmond College, and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. At the latter, he trained as a chartered surveyor.
He served as a Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth II from 1981 to 1983. He became a sales agent, salesman and company manager. Among his 29 titles are: Master of the Royal Household of Scotland, Admiral of the Western Coasts and Isles, and the Chief of Clan Campbell.
He is the captain of Scotland's national elephant polo team which won the 2004 and 2005 World Elephant Polo Association World Championships. He represents Pernod Ricard distillers, promoting Scotch whiskies. He is a Freeman of the City of London and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Distillers.
Marriage and children
On 8 June 2002 at St. Mary's Church, Fairford, Gloucestershire, the Duke married Eleanor Cadbury, a member of the Cadbury chocolate family. She is the daughter of Peter Hugh George Cadbury (previously chairman of Close Brothers Corporate Finance) and his wife Sally Strouvelle.
The Duke and Duchess have three children:
- Archibald "Archie" Frederick Campbell, Marquess of Lorne (born London, 9 March 2004). He served as a Page of Honour to the Queen from 2015-2018.
- Lord Rory James Campbell (born London, 3 February 2006)
- Lady Charlotte Mary Campbell (born London, 29 October 2008).
- Torquil, for background on the name Torquhil
- "Burke's Peerage – The Official Website".
- "Argyll, 13th Duke of". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2016 (November 2015 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Dickie, Mure (8 August 2015). "Scottish peer with a clan-do attitude". Financial Times. p. 2.
- "No. 48481". The London Gazette. 2 January 1981. p. 77.
- "No. 49465". The London Gazette. 2 September 1983. p. 11587.
- Tomlinson, Richard (20 December 1992). "They also serve, who only ush". Independent.
- "Elephant polo stars just champion". BBC News. 6 December 2004. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- "Elephants trumpet their success". BBC News. 11 September 2005. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Walker, Tim (11 May 2013). "Prince Harry to be greeted by models at charity polo match in America". The Telegraph. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Burke's Landed Gentry (1972 Edn) CADBURY of Northfield
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage
- "The Peerage, entry for 13th Duke of Argyll".
- "Buckingham Palace 18 May 2016". Court Circular.
- "Patronesses". Royal Caledonian Ball. Archived from the original on 14 October 2013.
- Debrett's People of Today
- Inveraray Castle
- Cracroft's Peerage
- Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Argyll
| Page of Honour
1981 – 1983
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Duke of Argyll
2001 – present
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Duke of Argyll
2001 – present