|Comune di Torre Orsaia|
Fountain in Cairoli Square
Torre Orsaia within the Province of Salerno
|Frazioni||Borgo Cerreto, Calleo, Castel Ruggero|
|• Mayor||Pietro Vicino|
|• Total||21.03 km2 (8.12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||295 m (968 ft)|
|• Density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Torresi / Ursentini|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Lawrence|
|Saint day||10 August|
The settlement, originally named Turris Ursajae, was founded in the 11th century, in the current location of the nearby village of Castel Ruggero.
The municipality, located in southern Cilento and included in the Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Park, borders with Caselle in Pittari, Morigerati, Roccagloriosa, Rofrano, San Giovanni a Piro and Santa Marina. It counts the hamlets (frazioni) of Borgo Cerreto (shared with Rofrano), Calleo and Castel Ruggero (autonomous municipality until 1929).
The medieval town is situated on a green hill in the middle of centuries old Pisciotta olive trees. The stone fountains "dell’Olmo" and "della Scalitta" which are situated just outside the town are witnesses of the local craft industry.
The town is crossed in the middle by the national highway SS 18 and is served by an exit, "Torre Orsaia", on the SS 517/var highway Padula-Policastro, that is 7.6 km far. Torre Orsaia station, located in the village of Calleo and part of the Naples-Salerno-Reggio Calabria railway, is 6.4 km from the town.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Source: Istat 2011
- 40270 Torre Orsaia on OpenStreetMap
- "Information" Archived 2008-12-03 at the Wayback Machine
- see it:Carmine Tripodi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Torre Orsaia.|
- Official website ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
- Office of Tourism of Torre Orsaia ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
- Torre Orsaia on tuttaitalia.it ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|