|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2013)|
|Developer(s)||Qrome, m2e, IhatemyISP, MMaster23, others|
|Initial release||November 12, 2004|
|Stable release||2.4 (June 18, 2008) [±]|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
TorrentFlux is a free and open source multi-user GUI for BitTornado. Unlike most BitTorrent clients, its main user interface is a web interface. It is scripted in PHP, with a MySQL database and runs on a web server.
Its web interface allows it to be operated on a remote server, which is useful for file services based at an Internet service center.
The most recent beta release also includes support for ADOdb, allowing for use of other database backends. Numerous "hacks" have been written to add additional functionality.
The latest release is 2.4 final for Linux, released on June 18, 2008. The latest Windows version is 1.3, released August 15, 2004.
In January 2007 a fork called TorrentFlux-b4rt was created by a TorrentFlux forum member with the alias "b4rt". TorrentFlux-b4rt incorporates many of the mods created by the community, as well as some new features and display themes, into a single package. An existing TorrentFlux installation can be converted to a TorrentFlux-b4rt installation, preserving all settings and data, by using the scripts included with TorrentFlux-b4rt. The newer versions of TorrentFlux-b4rt are completely rewritten, and no longer based on the original TorrentFlux source code.
Key TorrentFlux-b4rt additions:
- A more advanced queue management system.
- The ability to periodically scan RSS feeds for new transfers to start.
- The ability to change upload/download rates while a transfer is running.
- Transfer statistics logging and bulk operations (start/stop all transfers).
- The ability to use clients besides BitTornado: Transmission and Azureus for torrents, wget for http and ftp downloads, and nzbperl for usenet downloads (using NZB files).
- The ability to use VLC Player to stream across the network.
In October 2010, a few TorrentFlux-b4rt enthusiasts created a fork from TorrentFlux-b4rt. The reason for this is that project development for TorrentFlux-b4rt has come to an end, the continuous stream of spam on the forums, a website that had not been updated for years and a lack of permissions and access for others to update the project and the site.
TorrentFlux NG wants to include the following features in its first release:
- Encryption of torrent traffic
- Magnet links for adding torrents
- Better memory management (1 process for multiple torrent downloads instead of 1 process per torrent)
- No need to write patches for each new release of Transmission
- New user interface/theme
One of the key targets for future releases was the separation of the front-end from the back-end.
TorrentFlux NG is no longer actively developed.
- "TorrentFlux - PHP Torrent Client at SourceForge.net". TorrentFlux.SourceForge.net. 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- QuickStart Guide To TorrentFlux b4rt
- TorrentFlux on SourceForge.net (not updated since 2010)
- Official TorrentFlux-b4rt website (not updated since 2010)
- Torrentflux-NG by th3penguinwhisperer - fork
- Torrentflux-NG by epsylon3 - fork