Torres-Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians
|4,146 people living on the reservation|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, Cahuilla language|
|traditional tribal religion,
Christianity (Roman Catholicism and Protestantism)
|Related ethnic groups|
|Cahuilla and Chemehuevi tribes|
The Torres-Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians is a federally recognized tribe of Cahuilla and Chemehuevi Indians, located in Imperial and Riverside counties in California. Their autonym is Mau-Wal-Mah Su-Kutt Menyil, which is said to mean "among the palms, deer moon."
Torres-Martinez Indian Reservation
The Torres-Martinez Indian Reservation is a federal reservation in Imperial and Riverside Counties, with a total area of 24,024 acres (9,722 ha). It was established in 1876 and was named for the village of Toro and the Martinez Indian Agency. In 1970, 42 of the 217 enrolled tribal members lived on the reservation.
The tribe's headquarters is located in Thermal, California. Their current tribal administration is as follows:
- Mary L. Resvaloso, Tribal Chairperson
- Raymond Torres Vice-Chairperson
- Alesia Reed, Secretary
- Thomas Tortez, Treasurer
- Joseph Mirelez, Council Member
- Michelle Morreo, Council Member
- "California Indians and Their Reservations." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2012. Retrieved 1 Nov 2012.
- Eargle, 111
- Bean, 584-5
- Bean, 585
- "Home." Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians. 2009 (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- "Torres-Martinez Desert Band of Cahuilla." Gallery of Nations. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- Pritzker, 120
- "Tribal Council." Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians. 2011 (retrieved 12 Feb 2011)
- "Red Earth Casino." 500 Nations. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
- Torres Martinez Reservation Cemetery Find A Grave
- Bean, Lowell John. "Cahuilla." Heizer, Robert F., volume ed. Handbook of North American Indians: California, Volume 8. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978. ISBN 978-0-16-004574-5.
- Eargle, Jr., Dolan H. California Indian Country: The Land and the People. San Francisco: Tree Company Press, 1992. ISBN 0-937401-20-X.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- James, Harry Clebourne (1968) . The Cahuilla Indians. Morongo Indian Reservation: Malki Museum Press (Westernlore Press). ASIN B0007HDH7E. LCCN 60010491. OCLC 254156323. LCC E99.K27 J3 ASIN B0007EJ4OM
- Torres-Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians, official website
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Torres-Martinez Reservation