Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians
|4,146 people living on the reservation|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States (California)|
|English, Cahuilla language|
|traditional tribal religion,|
Christianity (Roman Catholicism and Protestantism)
|Related ethnic groups|
The Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians is a federally recognized tribe of Cahuilla Indians, located in Imperial and Riverside counties in California. Their autonym is Mau-Wal-Mah Su-Kutt Menyil, which is said to mean "among the palms, deer moon."
Torres Martinez Indian Reservation
The Torres Martinez Indian Reservation is a federal reservation in Imperial and Riverside Counties, with a total area of 24,024 acres (9,722 ha). It was established in 1876 and was named for the village of Toro and the Martinez Indian Agency. In 1970, 42 of the 217 enrolled tribal members lived on the reservation. As of the 2010 Census the population was 5,594.
- Tribal Chairman Thomas Tortez Jr.
- Vice-Chairman Joseph Mirelez
- Secretary Altrena Santillanes
- Treasurer RoseMarie Morreo
- Council Member Elesha Duro
- Council Member Arthur Lopez
- Council Member Proxy Gary Wayne Resvaloso Jr.
- "California Indians and Their Reservations." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2012. Retrieved 1 Nov 2012.
- Eargle, 111
- Bean, 584-5
- Bean, 585
- "California Indians and Their Reservations." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- "Home." Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians. 2009 (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- "Torres-Martinez Desert Band of Cahuilla". Gallery of Nations. Mid-America All-Indian Museum. Archived from the original on 2010-12-23. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Pritzker, 120
- Staff, Website Services & Coordination. "US Census Bureau 2010 Census Interactive Population Map". www.census.gov. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Dirmann, Tina (2002-03-29). "Tribe Impoverished by Salton Sea Gets Windfall". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- "Tribal Council." Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians. 2019 (retrieved 12 Feb 2019)
- "Red Earth Casino." 500 Nations. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
- "Torres Martinez Reservation Cemetery in California - Find A Grave Cemetery". www.findagrave.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Bean, Lowell John. "Cahuilla." Heizer, Robert F., volume ed. Handbook of North American Indians: California, Volume 8. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978. ISBN 978-0-16-004574-5.
- Eargle, Jr., Dolan H. California Indian Country: The Land and the People. San Francisco: Tree Company Press, 1992. ISBN 0-937401-20-X.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- James, Harry Clebourne (1968) . The Cahuilla Indians. Morongo Indian Reservation: Malki Museum Press (Westernlore Press). ASIN B0007HDH7E. LCCN 60010491. OCLC 254156323. LCC E99.K27 J3 ASIN B0007EJ4OM
- Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians, official website
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Torres-Martinez Reservation