|Neighborhood of Philadelphia|
The Frankford Avenue bridge over the Poquessing Creek bordering Torresdale
|Area code(s)||Area code 215|
Torresdale, also formerly known as Torrisdale, is a neighborhood in the Far Northeast section of Philadelphia. Torresdale is located along the Delaware River between Holmesburg and Bensalem Township in neighboring Bucks County.
The adjacent confluence of the Poquessing Creek with the Delaware River had been favored by William Penn's surveyor, Thomas Holme, as the site for the city that Penn planned to found. Although a more southerly site was finally selected, Holme and others acquired property there, where he is buried.
Long before there was what is referred to today as the Pennsylvania Main Line, Torresdale, along with Holmesburg to its south and Andalusia to its north, had been Philadelphia's posh suburban neighborhood, as evidenced by Glen Foerd on the Delaware, a luxurious riverside estate.
The Union League Golf Club at Torresdale, a Donald Ross designed golf course, is located at Frankford and Grant Avenues and is one of the finest golf courses in the Philadelphia region. In 2015, the Union League of Philadelphia undertook a complete restoration of the course and historic clubhouse, which drew significant national attention.
All Saints' Episcopal Church was established in 1772.
Eden Hall Chapel, built in 1849, was demolished in 2007.
The municipal Baxter Water Treatment Plant opened in 1909 as the Torresdale Water Treatment Plant.
Glen Foerd on the Delaware is a historic estate established in 1850, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic American Landscape Survey.
Prominent former residents include Virginia Knauer, William J. Green, Jr., William J. Green, III, Francis Anthony Drexel, Saint Mother Katharine Drexel, 1930s news commentator Boake Carter, Philadelphia mayor Edwin Henry Fitler, model Gia Carangi, and Player David M Benson Jr
- "Torresdale", Historical Northeast Philadelphia: Stories and Memories ~1994, William C. English and Elaine D. Malinowski, Torresdale Historical Society
- List of winners of the regatta of the Rowing Association of American Colleges
- "Thomas Holme Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 11, 2016.
- "Joseph H. Brown Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 10, 2016.
- "Abraham Lincoln High School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 10, 2016.