Torrey Joël DeVitto
June 8, 1984
Huntington, New York, U.S.
|Drake and Josh|
One Tree Hill
The Vampire Diaries
Pretty Little Liars
|Home town||Winter Park, Florida, U.S.|
(m. 2011; div. 2013)
Torrey Joël DeVitto (born June 8, 1984) is an American actress, musician and former fashion model. She is best known for her recurring roles as Melissa Hastings in the ABC Family/Freeform mystery/thriller series Pretty Little Liars from 2010 to 2017, Dr. Meredith Fell in The CW fantasy drama The Vampire Diaries from 2012 to 2013 and as Carrie in The CW drama One Tree Hill from 2008 to 2009. In 2013, she starred as Maggie Hall in the seventh and final season of the Lifetime drama Army Wives. In 2015, she began starring as Dr. Natalie Manning in the NBC medical drama Chicago Med. She is also involved in a number of philanthropic organizations and is a Hospice Ambassador.
DeVitto was born in Huntington on Long Island, New York to Mary (née Torrey) and Liberty DeVitto and raised in Winter Park, Florida. Her father was a long-time drummer for Billy Joel and her mother had been Stevie Nicks's best friend since the late 1970s and met DeVitto's father in 1983 when he was the drummer on Nicks' Wild Heart Tour. On the day of her birth, Joel was performing at the Wembley Arena and made a special note before beginning "The Longest Time" that DeVitto's wife was having a baby, causing a standing ovation for DeVitto, who was playing the drums at the concert. She was named Torrey after her mother's maiden name. She is of Italian descent.
She is the second of four daughters with an older sister Devon, and two younger sisters Maryelle and the youngest sister's name has not yet been revealed. Her sister Maryelle was a contestant in the Discovery Kids reality competition show Endurance. As a child, DeVitto spent a lot of time touring with her parents. She described her childhood to CVLUX magazine by saying: "We spent every Thanksgiving at Billy Joel’s house. I grew up with his daughter, Alexa; it was a lot of warm, happy memories." By the fourth grade, she was playing violin with the local high school orchestra, and at the age of twelve she performed a solo at actress Christie Brinkley and architect Peter Cook’s wedding. She attended Youngsville Elementary School, part of Kings Park Central School District. After graduating from Winter Park High School in Winter Park, Florida, she spent her summer in Japan working as a model and had earlier spent time in Chicago.
DeVitto's modelling career started at the age of 15, when she began appearing in commercials, which she described to be a stepping stone to get to TV and film jobs. She was signed to Ford and Avenue One modeling agencies, but in 2002, she realized her future was not in modeling and chose to pursue a career in acting. DeVitto has been featured in several fashion blogs and magazines such as Cliche Magazine, Miami Living, Bello, CVLUX, Most Magazine, Crookes Magazine and Obscurae. She also modeled for TV Guide, That Magazine and Chicago Splash. Staying true to her love of music in 2002, she played violin with the Tommy Davidson Band at the Sunset Room in Hollywood. She also played violin on Raphael Saadiq's 2004 album, Ray Ray, as well as Stevie Nicks' 2011 album In Your Dreams.
DeVitto co-starred in the ABC Family drama Beautiful People as aspiring model Karen Kerr from 2005 to 2006. She also appeared in the 2006 horror film sequel I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer as Zoe Warner. She guest-starred on Drake & Josh, Scrubs, Jack & Bobby and had a small part in the romantic drama short film Forbidden Love. DeVitto made her film debut in the dramatic short film Starcrossed, which tells about brothers, who develop a sexual attraction to one another. Later she starred as an actress Sierra Young in the comedy film Heber Holiday and co-starred in the comedy-drama Green Flash with David Charvet and Kristin Cavallari. She appeared in the horror comedy Killer Movie with Paul Wesley, Kaley Cuoco and Leighton Meester. From 2008 to 2009, DeVitto had a recurring role in the fifth and sixth seasons of The CW drama One Tree Hill, where she played Carrie.
She was in Will.I.Am's Vote Obama video "We Are The Ones". In 2010, DeVitto began a recurring role as Melissa Hastings in the ABC Family mystery/thriller series Pretty Little Liars based on Sara Shepard's book series of the same name. On November 10, 2011, DeVitto was confirmed to have a recurring role in the CW fantasy drama The Vampire Diaries as Dr. Meredith Fell, who is fascinated by Alaric Saltzman (Matthew Davis), when she notices how quickly he recovers from an injury. In November 2012, it was reported that she had signed on to star as Maggie Hall in the seventh season of the Lifetime drama Army Wives. On September 24, 2013, Lifetime announced the show's cancellation, it honored the show with a two-hour retrospective special with the cast members which aired in 2014. She had a lead role as Jennie Stanton in the Hallmark Channel television film Best Christmas Party Ever in 2014.
In August 2015, DeVitto signed on to star in the NBC medical drama Chicago Med. She was cast as Dr. Natalie Manning, the ED pediatrician. She has also appeared as Dr. Natalie Manning in Chicago P.D. and Chicago Fire.
In 2007, DeVitto began dating her Killer Movie co-star Paul Wesley. They married in a private ceremony in New York City in April 2011. From early 2012 to early 2013, DeVitto had a recurring role on The CW fantasy drama The Vampire Diaries, which Wesley starred in. They filed for divorce in July 2013 after two years of marriage. They "have decided to amicably split. They will continue to remain good friends," Wesley's rep confirmed to People magazine. The divorce was finalized in December 2013.
She dated actor Rick Glassman from 2014 to 2016. She dated Dancing with the Stars pro Artem Chigvintsev from 2016 to 2017. In September 2018, DeVitto confirmed that she began dating Chicago P.D. star Jesse Lee Soffer.
Outside of work, DeVitto dedicates much of her time to philanthropy. She is a Hospice Ambassador since 2011 and also supports PETA and HSUS. Before she became a Hospice Ambassador, she volunteered at a children's hospital. While filming for Chicago Med in Chicago, she works with Rainbow Hospice. She has been A Hospice Ambassador for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization since 2011. She hosted a screening of the Hospice Foundation’s first documentary, Okuyamba, at UCLA’s James Bridges Theatre in 2012. Also in 2012, she travelled to Africa, where she spent two weeks as a member of the crew filming Road to Hope.
An animal rights advocate, DeVitto has two rescued dogs, Beau and Homie, and partnered with the Shelter Pet Project to promote adoption. She has appeared in several advertisements, interviews and videos for PETA. In 2016, she teamed up with HSUS and their Be Cruelty-Free campaign.
She declared herself "vegan in my fashion and vegetarian in my food".
|2006||I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer||Zoe Warner||Direct to video|
|2007||Heber Holiday||Sierra Young||aka. Shooting Star|
|2008||Killer Movie||Phoebe Hilldale|
|Green Flash||Mia Fonseca|
|Stevie Nicks: In Your Dreams||Featured Violinist Vampire||Documentary film|
|2015||It Had To Be You||Darby Powell|
|Road to Hope||Herself|
|2016||Stevie D||Daria Laurentis|
|2016||Amy Makes Three||Carla Forrest||Completed|
|2003||Dawson's Creek||Girl #1||Episode 6.19: "Lovelines"|
|Scrubs||Gorgeous Girl with Dog||Episode 3.03: "My White Whale"|
|2005–2007||Drake & Josh||Denise Woods / Tori||Recurring role, 3 episodes|
|2005||The King of Queens||Traci||Episode 7.09: "Cologne Ranger"|
|Jack & Bobby||Tiffany||Episode 1.17: "Querida Grace"|
|2005–2006||Beautiful People||Karen Kerr||Main role (Season 1: 16 episodes)|
|2006||Runaway||Soccer Coach||Episode 1.08: "End Game" (uncredited)|
|2008||CSI: Miami||Kelly Chapman||Episode 6.14: "You May Now Kill the Bride"|
|2008–2009||One Tree Hill||Carrie||Recurring role (Season 5–6: 14 episodes)|
|2009||Castle||Sierra Goodwin||Episode 2.03: "Inventing the Girl"|
|2010–2017||Pretty Little Liars||Melissa Hastings||Recurring role (Season 1–7; 40 episodes)|
|2011||Marcy||Torrey||Episode 1.01: "Marcy Does Yoga"|
|2012||The Real St. Nick||Kate||Lifetime TV movie|
|2012–2013||The Vampire Diaries||Dr. Meredith Fell||Recurring role (Seasons 3–4: 12 episodes)|
|2013||Army Wives||Maggie Hall||Main role (Season 7: 13 episodes)|
|2014||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Susan McDowell / Kitty||Episode 14.21: "Kitty"|
|2014||Major Crimes||Nicole||Episode 3.13: "Acting Out"|
|2014||Best Christmas Party Ever||Jennie Stanton||Hallmark Channel TV movie|
|2015–present||Chicago Med||Dr. Natalie Manning||Main role|
|2016–present||Chicago P.D.||Recurring role|
|2018||The Hoaxing||Horror short film|
|2019||Saving Daisy||Documentary film|
|2008||"We Are the Ones"||Will.i.am|
Awards and nominations
|2016||Prestige Film Awards||Voice Over Talent||Road to Hope||Won|
|2018||Social Impact Leaders Awards||2018 Emcee||Won|
- Prieve, Michael. "Paul Wesley is Officially Divorced From Torrey DeVitto". Celebuzz.com. Celebuzz!. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Radloff, Jessica. "10 Surprising Facts About Chicago Med's Leading Lady Torrey DeVitto". Glamour. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "Back To Basics". CVLUX. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Biography for Torrey DeVitto". September 28, 2007. Archived from the original on August 25, 2008. Retrieved May 18, 2008.
- Interview with Torrey DeVitto My Fan Base.de. April 25, 2008.
- "Torrey DeVitto on Activism, Family and 'Chicago Med' - Inspirer". inspirer.life. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Surpless, Emily (2015-12-09). "Torrey DeVitto Interview". Digital Fashion Magazine | Free Fashion Magazine | Fashion Magazine Online. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Miami Living Magazine - Torrey DeVitto". digital.miamilivingmagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "» Get The Look: BELLO mag 'Beauty Breakdown' With Torrey Devitto". Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "CVLUX JAN|FEB 2017". Issuu. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Volume34". Issuu. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Liga das Séries » Arquivos » Scans: Torrey DeVitto para "That Magazine"". ligadasseries.com.br. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Torrey DeVitto At Maria Ponce Photoshoot for Chicago Splash - Celebzz". Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Torrey DeVitto fan - biography Archived November 17, 2007, at the Wayback Machine February 20, 2008
- Torrey DeVitto Actor page Movies.yahoo.com
- "Heber Holida movie profile". April 21, 2008. Archived from the original on March 3, 2008. Retrieved May 18, 2008.
- "Pretty Little Lairs Blog-Cast". Archived from the original on May 30, 2012.
- Barrett, Annie (2011-11-09). "'Vampire Diaries' casts Persia White | Inside TV | EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 2012-02-05.
- Bags Hooper (November 10, 2011). "Vampire Diaries Gets a Dose of Pretty Little Liars, Torrey DeVitto Signs on to Cast". BuzzFocus.com. Archived from the original on January 30, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 30, 2012). "Ashanti, Torrey DeVitto & Elle McLemore Join 'Army Wives' As New Series Regulars". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (24 September 2013). "Lifetime's 'Army Wives' Cancelled After Seven Seasons, Will Wrap Run With Special".
- Carra, Mallory. "You Should Know 'Best Christmas Party Ever's Star". Bustle. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- ""Best Christmas Party Ever" star Torrey DeVitto - Video | Home & Family | Hallmark Channel". Hallmark Channel. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Roots, Kimberly; Roots, Kimberly (13 August 2015). "Pretty Little Liars' Torrey DeVitto to Scrub In on Chicago Med".
- "Vampire Diaries' Paul Wesley and actress Torrey DeVitto married! - Life and Style". Lifeandstylemag.com. April 29, 2011. Archived from the original on February 25, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Nahas, Aili (July 30, 2013). "Paul Wesley and Torrey DeVitto to Divorce". People Magazine. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Paul Wesley and Torrey DeVitto to Divorce". People. 30 July 2013.
- "'Vampire Diaries' star Paul Wesley finalizes divorce". Toronto Sun. December 24, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- "Torrey DeVitto, Rick Glassman Split After More Than a Year of Dating". Us Weekly. February 23, 2016. Retrieved May 22, 2017.
- "Dancing with the Stars' Artem Chigvintsev and Chicago Med's Torrey DeVitto Split". People. May 10, 2017. Retrieved May 22, 2017.
- Hearon, Sarah (September 13, 2018). "Torrey DeVitto: I'm the 'Happiest I've Ever Been' With Boyfriend Jesse Lee Soffer". US Weekly. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "Torrey DeVitto Interview". Digital Fashion Magazine | Free Fashion Magazine | Fashion Magazine Online. 2015-12-09. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Caring Connections". National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO). Archived from the original on July 20, 2012.
- "'Pretty Little Liars' Star Shows Some Skin". peta2. March 7, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- "Torrey DeVitto: Actor talks about living a cruelty-free lifestyle". Humane Society of the United States. October 19, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- "Torrey DeVitto | CROOKES Magazine | Exclusive Interview". crookesmagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Torrey DeVitto | Road to Hope". www.roadtohopefilm.com. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Why Torrey DeVitto Leaves Wildlife out of Her Wardrobe | PETA". PETA. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Torrey DeVitto: 'You Wouldn't Dissect Her, So Don't Dissect Anyone' | PETA". PETA. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "'Pretty Little Liar' Tells Truth About Fur | PETA". PETA. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Stephens, Stephanie. "Chicago Med's Torrey DeVitto: 'We Have a Book Club!'". Parade. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Di Nunzio, Miriam (January 24, 2018). "'Chicago Med' star Torrey DeVitto takes holistic approach to health, life". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- "About Best Christmas Party". Hallmark Channel. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Torrey DeVitto". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- "Chicago Social Impact Leaders Award Luncheon 2018 - The Chicago School of Professional Psychology". www.thechicagoschool.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Torrey DeVitto|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Torrey DeVitto.|