Hagen in 1988
1943 (age 74–75)|
Norwegian Institute of Technology|
Founder & chairman, |
|Net worth||US$2.2 billion (March 2018)|
|Spouse(s)||Ellen-Karine Hagen (div. 2017)|
Early life and education
Early years in cruise industry (1974-96)
Hagen was a consultant, and later partner, for McKinsey & Company in Europe, helping to bring Holland America Line back from near-bankruptcy in 1974. In 1976, he became CEO of Bergen Steamship Company (Bergenske Dampskibsselskab), and then became CEO of Royal Viking Line from 1980 to 1984. He joined the board of Holland America Line in 1985, and later served on the board of Kloster Cruise. In the early 1990s, he acquired a 27% stake in Royal Nedlloyd, a Rotterdam-based shipping company, becoming the biggest shareholder. He sold his shares several years later at a loss.
Viking Cruises (1997-present)
In 1997, Hagen founded Viking River Cruises with the purchase of four river ships, launching the company with four Russian river cruises. In May 2013, the company announced plans to start an ocean cruise division, and changed its name to Viking Cruises. Its first ocean cruise was launched in 2015. As of 2017, the company has a fleet of over 60 vessels, and four ocean going ships.
- "Forbes profile: Torstein Hagen". Forbes. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "The Second Coming Of Torstein Hagen: Full Circle In Bergen". Avidcruiser.com. 2015-05-24. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "When Holland Inc. Goes Shopping, Belgium Always Gets Bought Out - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- Fran Golden, "Perfect Examples," Porthole Cruise Magazine, August 21, 2017.
- Arnie Weissmann, "Rolling on the rivers," Travel Weekly, April 2, 2013.
- Schwammenthal, Daniel. "Dutch Discount - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- Erica Silverstein, "Viking Ocean Cruises Takes Delivery of New Cruise Ship," Cruise Critic, September 26, 2017.
- Tom Stieghorst, "Viking Cruises' Torstein Hagen," Travel Weekly, October 25, 2016.
- Christian L. Wright, "Cruise Vacations for the Anti-Cruise Crowd," Wall Street Journal, April 4, 2017.
- O'Bannon, Isaac M. (1 March 2017). "Viking Launches Third Luxury Ocean Liner". CPA Practice Advisor. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Anne Kalosh, "Pair of Viking Longships are named in Koblenz," Seatrade Cruise, March 7, 2017.
- "Divorcing Norwegian couple spend £10m in legal fees," Financial Times, June 28, 2017.
- Hamburg Messe (2015-06-26). "Karine Hagen is Viking Sea's godmother". Seatrade-cruise.com. Retrieved 2017-03-20.