Lofthus with Halles Komet at Oslo Jazzfestival 2017
10 March 1977|
Øystese, Hordaland, Norway
|Genres||Progressive rock, jazz|
|Associated acts||Elephant9, Red Kite|
Torstein Lofthus (born 10 March 1977) is a Norwegian drummer and composer who has been a member of Shining, Elephant9, Mathias Eick Band, D'Sound, and Ebersson/Zanussi/Lofthus. He is married to Hege Lofthus.
Lofthus has had a major influence on Norwegian music through studio work, live concerts and teaching at Norwegian Academy of Music and at University of Agder (the Faculty of Fine Arts). Based in Oslo, he now tours Norway and Europe with different bands and artists after finishing his master at the Norwegian Academy of Music spring 2006. He plays several genres, well known with both jazz and pop music. He has been the most sought drummer in Norway recent years, if not on tour with Vamp, Jarle Bernhoft, Oslo Gospel Choir, Mathias Eick or Marit Larsen, he collaborates with Maria Mena, Kurt Nilsen, Torun Eriksen, Bertine Zetlitz, Silje Nergaard, Eivind Aarset, D'Sound, Noora Noor, The Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Jon Eberson and Per Zanussi, to mention a few, both in studio and on stage.
He has worked with Shining, Elephant9, Red Kite, Marit Larsen, Maria Mena, Jarle Bernhoft, Chrome hill, Mathias Eick Band, D'Sound, Oslo Gospel Choir, Jørn Øien Trio, Liarbird, Torun Eriksen, Ebersson/Zanussi/Lofthus, Garness, Søyr, Morten Halle, Eivind Aarset, Silje Nergaard, Beady Belle, Damp, Bertine Zetlitz, Kurt Nilsen, Maria Solheim
Awards and honors
- 2010: Spellemannprisen in the category Jazz for the album Walk the Nile with Elephant9
- 2011: Spellemannprisen as Innovator of the Year with Shining
- 2015: Gammleng-prisen in the category studio musician
- Blackjazz (2010)
- Grindstone (2007)
- In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster (2005)
- Sweet Shanghai Devil (2003)
- Where the Ragged People Go (2002)
- All Good Things (2010)
- Still Awake (2010)
- Digging in the Dark (2010)
- Earthlings (2008)
- Skala (2011)
Ola Kvernberg's Liarbird
- Liarbird (Jazzland, 2011), the commissioned work, live from Moldejazz 2010 including Bergmund Waal Skaslien (viola), Eirik Hegdal (saxophone), Håkon Kornstad (saxophone), Mathias Eick (trumpet), Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Ole Morten Vågan (bass), as well as Erik Nylander (drums)
- Solidarity Breaks (2011)
- 1: Man 2: Band (2010)
- Bring it on (2006)
- Darkness Out of Blue (2007)
- Petter Snus og vårmelodien (2007)
- Frail (2004)
- Behind Closed Doors (2002)
- To Sing You Apple Trees (2006)
- Shedding Skin (2004)
- Naken Uten Gitar (1999)
- Stolpesko (2002)
- "Artist Biography: Torstein Lofthus - Zildjian".
- "Torstein Lofthus Biography". Cosmopolite.no. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- Rakvaag, Geir (2013-01-18). "Travel trommis: Shinings Torstein Lofthus er Norges mest etterspurte trommeslager" (in Norwegian). Dagsavisen. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- "Shining vant Spellemann-pris - Kultur". Dagbladet.no
- "Liarbird Kolben 17.09.2011, Rikskonsertene". YouTube. 2011-09-17. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Torstein Lofthus.|
Ole Petter Andreassen and Kim Ofstad
| Recipient of the Studio musician Gammleng-prisen