|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Initial release||1.00d September 25, 1993|
6.58 rc 1 (April 23, 2008[±])
2.52 beta 3 (August 9, 2010[±])
2.80 beta 10 (May 3, 2017[±])
|Written in||Object Pascal (Delphi)|
|Operating system||Windows, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, Android, Windows Phone|
|Size||4.1 MiB (32 bit) / 4.8 MiB (64 bit) / 1.9 MiB (Android) / 2.7 MiB (Windows Phone)|
Freeware (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, Android, Windows Phone)
Total Commander is a shareware Orthodox File Manager (OFM) for several variants of Microsoft Windows, including desktop versions, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and Windows Phone, and for Android. Features include a built-in FTP client, tabbed interface, file compare, archive file navigation, and a multi-rename tool with regular expression support.
This application is written by the Swiss Christian Ghisler using Delphi 1 (16-bit version), Delphi 2 (64-bit version). The program is extensible by programmers via an open plugin-API, and it can bind external programs for viewing or editing files. Many plugins are freely available for e.g. different packer formats or file viewer for special file formats. Many functions not available by default are supported and can be assigned to icons.
The program is distributed as shareware with a trial period of 30 days, but will continue to function, with a subscription reminder, after that. It is available in 16-, 32-, and 64-bit versions for the various versions of Windows, and is for the most part compatible with Linux using Wine.
From 1993 until 2002 Total Commander was called Windows Commander; the name was changed in 2002 after Microsoft pointed out that the word "Windows" was their trademark.
- Comparison of file managers
- Comparison of file verification software
- Comparison of FTP client software
- USB On-The-Go
- "Total Commander 7.03 final available!". Ghisler.ch. 2008-05-24. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Total Commander 9.00a final available (32bit+64bit)". Ghisler.ch. 2016-12-14. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Total Commander CE/Pocket version 2.51 available". Ghisler.ch. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "Total Commander 2.80 final for Android". Ghisler.ch. 2017-05-09. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "Total Commander – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store". Ghisler.ch. 2016-04-28. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "Total Commander 9.10 beta 1 available". Ghisler.ch. 2017-09-20. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- "Total Commander - Windows Phone Apps+Games Store". Windowsphone.com. 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2015-06-27.
- WineHQ entry- Total Commander (a.k.a. Windows Commander)