Total Control (band)
|Genres||Post-punk, garage rock, new wave, indie rock|
|Labels||Fuse, Iron Lung, Sub Pop|
|Associated acts||Eddy Current Suppression Ring, UV Race, Lace Curtain, Thee Oh Sees|
Total Control is an Australian post-punk band that formed in Melbourne, Australia in 2008. The band's line-up includes Mikey Young (guitar, keyboards), Dan Stewart (vocals), Al Montfort (guitar), Zephyr Pavey (bass), and James Vinciguerra (drums). After a series of singles, the band's debut album, Henge Beat, was released in August 2011. Their second album, Typical System, was released in June 2014.
Total Control was formed in 2008 by Eddy Current Suppression Ring band member Mikey Young and UV Race's Dan Stewart. The pair, who came together over a shared interest of early 1980s acts such as Devo, Gary Numan, The Screamers, and The Adolescents, recorded some songs using a sampler and synthesizers at Young's home studio. They gained a following over the next few years after releasing a series of 7-inch singles and playing only a handful of live shows. Total Control became a quintet with the additions of guitarist Al Montfort, bassist Zephyr Pavey, and drummer James Vinciguerra. Young explained the reason for the expansion to The Washington Post: "Bands with drum machines and three synths are just not as much fun to watch as bands with drummers and guitars," he said. "We realized it couldn't be good live, so we tried to adapt the songs to work in a rock-and-roll band."
The band released their debut full-length album, Henge Beat, in August 2011 on Seattle's Iron Lung Records. They went on a US tour with San Francisco-based band Thee Oh Sees, with whom they also released a split EP, and performed at the All Tomorrow's Parties music festival in Minehead, Somerset in December 2011. The single "Scene From a Marriage" was released by Sub Pop in October 2012. The group released their second album, Typical System, in June 2014.
- "Stare Way"/"Meds"/"Total Control"/"Full Moon" - Aarght! Records (2008)
- "Retiree"/"Meds II" - Iron Lung Records (2009)
- "Paranoid Video"/"Real Estate" - Smartguy Records (2010)
- "Pyre Island"/"Mineshaft" - Hustle Muscle (2011)
- "Scene From A Marriage"/"Contract" - Sub Pop (2012)
- 7"s (collects tracks from first four 7"s) - Blinded Records (2013)
- Thee Oh Sees/Total Control [split EP] - Castle Face (2011)
- Carpet Rash - Home Loan Records (2012)
- Leitko, Aaron (23 May 2013). "Total Control's Mikey Young finds inspiration in all the right places". The Washington Post. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Thomas, Fred. "Total Control - Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Leitko, Aaron (8 December 2011). "Fear & Mythologies: An Interview With Total Control". The Quietus. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Bort, Ryan (11 January 2012). "Song of the Day: Total Control - 'One More Tonight'". KEXP-FM. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (1 October 2012). "Tracks: Total Control - 'Scene From a Marriage'". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Hughes, Josiah (10 April 2014). "Total Control Return with 'Typical System'". Exclaim!. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Pearis, Bill (9 April 2014). "Total Control ready 'Typical System' for June (stream a track); Lace Curtain released third EP". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 12 April 2014.