Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Indra Kumar|
|Produced by||Ajay Devgn|
Sri Adhikari Brothers
|Story by||Indra Kumar|
|Edited by||Dharmendra Sharma|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹228.27 crore|
Total Dhamaal (also known as Dhamaal 3) is an Indian 2019 Hindi-language adventure comedy film directed, co-produced and written by Indra Kumar. The third installment of the Dhamaal franchise, it is the continuation and soft reboot of the 2007 film Dhamaal, and based loosely on the 1963 Hollywood film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, with some scenes borrowed from 2015 film Vacation. Total Dhamaal features a large ensemble cast including Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi, Javed Jaffrey, Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Mishra, Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit. Johnny Lever and Manoj Pahwa in supporting roles with Pitobash Tripathy, Esha Gupta and Boman Irani in cameo appearances. Sonakshi Sinha also made a special appearance in the song "Mungda".
Production of the film began in March 2017. Deshmukh, Warsi and Jaffrey were chosen to be a part of Total Dhamaal too. Meanwhile, Devgn, Kapoor and Dixit were added to the cast as well. Principal photography of Total Dhamaal began in January 2018. Devgn also co-produced the film. Filming concluded in August 2018. The official teaser of the film was released on 19 January 2019 following which the trailer was launched on 21 January. Due to the Pulwama Attack held on 14 February, the film was not released in Pakistan.
The film was theatrically released on 22 February 2019. It grossed over ₹2 billion worldwide within twelve days of its release. Earning ₹2.28 billion worldwide, the film became one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2019 and one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time.
Guddu (Ajay Devgan) and his partner Johnny (Sanjay Mishra) plan and steal ₹500 million of black money from a Police Commissioner (Boman Irani). When they try to escape, Pintoo (Manoj Pahwa), their associate, double-crosses the both and drives away with the money.
Avinash and Bindu are troubled couples who are filing a divorce and argue over keeping their child. Lallan and Jhingur are partners who are working in a fire brigade service where they try to bribe people and earn more money which leads to them being fired after causing a mishap while rescuing people from a house in fire. Adi and Manav find a job at an art gallery where they accidentally destroy the whole gallery and escape with the owner's advanced remote-controlled car. Meanwhile, Pintoo plans to leave the country but Guddu and Johnny catch up to him. While running from them, Pintoo gets onto a private plane to escape but learns that instead of the pilot, he brought the janitor with him. The janitor escapes with the only parachute and the plane crashes. Coincidentally everyone arrives at the site of the crash where Pintoo reveals that the money is kept in the Janakpur Zoo by him and asks them to look under an OK. After learning about the money, everyone decides to grab the money for themselves. Guddu and Johnny's car breaks down and they wait on the road to find another car. Avinash drives the car into the forest while claiming he knows a shortcut. Lallan takes him and Jhingur to a nearby helicopter service. Adi and Manav use the stolen car to reach Janakpur. Guddu and Johnny find an advanced car with a sarcastic G.P.S system which leads them to wrong routes and ultimately leads the car down a steep slope and destroys the car. Avinash and Bindu get lost in the forest and meet a local villager who claims to know the route to highway. They both take him with them. Lallan and Jhingur arrive at the helicopter service where they travel on a old and broken helicopter of the owner which is on the verge of crashing. Adi crashes the car in a desert after getting distracted by an attractive woman and gets stuck in quicksand. Manav takes a snake and asks Adi to grab it to get out. Somehow Adi gets out and bashes Manav for not bringing the nearby rope. Soon, they get attacked by a flock of vulture. Guddu and Johnny come across the Police Commissioner who then chases them both to a railway crossing. Avinash and Bindu try to cross a wooden bridge to get to the other side which breaks down. After luckily avoiding falling into the cliff, they realize that the villager was instead leading them to a restaurant called Highway which leads Avinash to beat him. Guddu and Johnny escape the Commissioner when a train collides with their car. Lallan and Jhingur jump off the crashing helicopter and land on a building under construction. Adi and Manav mess up with the remote and barely escape the burning car. Avinash and Bindu try to cross a river which gets filled by water when the dam gets opened and get swept to the edge of the waterfall. Guddu and Johnny get on a plane which they believe is going on a swimming trip but soon find out that it is actually going for skydiving trip. The both reluctantly jump off the plane. After somehow escaping near-death scenarios, everyone reaches Janakpur Zoo where they start finding the hidden money. They see that a man named Chinappa Swamy is planning to illegally close the zoo by killing all the animals. When the caretaker Prachi disagrees, he locks her inside the control station. The group then sees that Chinappa's men are poisoning the animal's food to kill them. When Jhingur, Manav, Johnny and Bindu ask to save them, the group decides to save the animals. Guddu comes across a lion and succeeds in keeping him from eating the poisoned steak. Lallan and Jhingur try to stop a baby gorilla from eating the poisoned bananas but Lallan gets beaten up by the father gorilla. Lallan saves the gorillas by convincing them to not eat the bananas. Adi and Manav try to rescue a baby elephant which has eaten the poisoned sugarcanes. They save him but the elephant pukes on Adi and the elephants thank them. Avinash and Bindu try to stop a tiger from eating the poisoned steak but Bindu gets chased by the tiger and she escapes him by climbing up a tree. Avinash then succeeds in convincing the tiger. Prachi gets freed when her pet monkey Security opens the door. After successfully saving the animals, the group confronts Chinappa but get saved when Security holds a gun to Chinappa's face. The animals then chase Chinappa. The group finds the OK and decides to split the money equally between all of them. The Commissioner forgives Guddu and Johnny when he also receives the money. Avinash and Bindu forgive each other and decide to live happily together. Guddu falls in love with Prachi with Johnny asking if he can get a girlfriend too.
- Riteish Deshmukh as Deshbandhu "Lallan Bhai" Roy, a fire officer who can do anything for money. He and his partner Jhingur try to bribe people and earn more money.
- Arshad Warsi as Aditya "Adi" Shrivastav, a taxi driver. He is Manav's twin brother and the more intelligent among the two.
- Javed Jaffrey as Manav Shrivastav, a mentally disabled man. He is Adi's twin brother and has a childish personality and always causes trouble for the duo.
- Sanjay Mishra as Johnny, a thief. He is Guddu's partner.
- Ajay Devgn as Sushant “Guddu” Rastogi, a thief and Johnny's partner. Later on in the movie, he falls in love with the caretaker, Prachi. Guddu claims to get the money for themselves because the money was stolen by them and belongs to them.
- Anil Kapoor as Avinash "Avi" Patel, a businessman. He is Bindu's husband and has a strained relationship with her. He tries for a divorce in the beginning of the movie but at the end, he accepts her and decides to live happily with her.
- Madhuri Dixit as Bindiya "Bindu" Patel, a strong architect. She is Avinash's wife and has a strained relationship with him. At the end, she forgives him and decides to live happily with him.
- Pitobash Tripathy as Jhingur, a fire officer. He is Lallan's assistant.
- Esha Gupta as Prachi, the caretaker of the animals of Jankakpur Zoo. She has a pet monkey and later in the movie becomes Guddu's love interest.
- Johnny Lever as Raju. He is the pilot of Auto Chopper.
- Boman Irani as Shamsher "Don" Singh. He is a Police Commissioner.
- Vijay Patkar as Abbas Patkar. He is a police inspector and Don's partner.
- Manoj Pahwa as Pintu Choksey. He is Guddu and Johnny's partner who betrayed them by taking Don's money and hide it in Omkar Zoo.
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Chinappa Swamy. He illegally attempts to close down Omkar Zoo.
- Ali as the Tamilian jungle man. He leads Avi and Bindu to Hotel Highway, a South Indian restaurant.
- Crystal the Monkey as Security. He is Prachi's pet monkey.
- Sudesh Lehri as Altaaf
- Niharica Raizada as a woman with whom Adi falls in love.
- Hans Dev Sharma as Man who jumps from building set on fire and gives Lallan Bhai 2 lakhs as bribe to save him.
- Jackie Shroff as GPS (Voice only).
- Sonakshi Sinha has a special appearance in the song 'Mungda'.
Besides Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi and Javed Jaffrey, director Indra Kumar signed Ajay Devgn for the third part of his Dhamaal film series in late May 2017. Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit were also signed in mid-November 2017 marking their collaboration after seventeen years when they acted together in the film Pukar. Esha Gupta was signed in June 2018.
|Soundtrack album by |
Gourov-Roshin, Sandeep Shirodkar
|Released||22 February 2019|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The film score was composed by Sandeep Shirodkar while the songs in the film were composed by Gourov-Roshin, with lyrics by Kumaar and Kunwar Juneja. Vatsal Chevli Assisted in mixing all the songs. All songs mixed by Aftab at headroom studios.
|1.||"Paisa Yeh Paisa" (From Karz)||Kunwar Juneja||Dev Negi, Subhro Ganguly, Arpita Chakraborty||4:01|
|2.||"Mungda" (From Inkaar)||Kunwar Juneja||Jyotica Tangri, Shaan, Subhro Ganguly||3:16|
|3.||"Speaker Phat Jaaye"||Kumaar||Harrdy Sandhu, Abuzar Akhtar, Aditi Singh Sharma, Jonita Gandhi||2:58|
|4.||"Theme Song"||Kumaar||Dev Negi||3:10|
Promotion and release
The first teaser look of the film is released on 14 January 2019. The first look theatrical poster was released on 18 January 2019. The second look poster released on 19 January 2019 with trailer release date announcement on 21 January 2019. Third official theatrical poster of the film is unveiled on 20 January 2019. It is promising "The wildest adventure ever!"
The film was set to release worldwide on 7 December 2018 but due to extended VFX work the release date has been pushed back to 22 February 2019. The film has been certified with runtime of 127 mins by British Board of Film Classification and all set to release on schedule. The film was released on 22 February 2019 on 3700 screens in India and on 786 screens in overseas market making worldwide count of 4486 screens.
After Pulwama attack, Ajay Devgn and Total Dhamaal makers have decided not to release Total Dhamaal in Pakistan. The makers of the film including the entire crew, actors and makers have donated ₹50 lakhs to families of soldiers who died in the Pulwama attack.
As of July 2020[update], the film holds a 30% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on ten reviews with an average rating of 3 out of 10. Taran Adarsh rated the film with three stars and found it entertaining and loaded with clean humour. Himesh Mankad from Koimoi gives 3 star out of 5 says "Total Dhamaal is a fair clean entertainer that can be enjoyed with the entire family. It's definitely an improvement over previous installment Double Dhamaal" Trade analyst Sumit M kadel stated that "Total Dhamaal is funny specially in Ist half. Its a no brainer fast paced family entertainer, lavishly shot & well performed by Ajay Devgn, Madhuri Dixit, Anil Kapoor, Riteish Deshmukh & the entire cast. 2nd half is moderate & it could have been better. Overall Good film." Rating- 3 out of 5 Ronak Kotecha writing for The Times of India gave two stars out of five and feels that in the ensemble cast, the film had the potential to be a comic roller coaster ride. He concluded saying "However, the fact that the film is slapstick is not a problem, what brings it down is poor writing and execution." Raja Sen writing for Hindustan Times rated the film with one star out of five.
The opening day (non-holiday) collection of the film from Indian market was ₹16.50 crore. Its lifetime domestic gross collection was ₹182.09 crore and from overseas markets it was ₹46.18 crore. The worldwide gross collection of the film was ₹228.27 crore. The film grossed ₹100 crore (US$14 million) worldwide in three days of release. In opening week the film grossed ₹150 crore (US$21 million). In 12 days of its release the film crossed ₹200 crore (US$28 million) mark in gross collection.
Full On Dhamaal (TBA)
After the trailer release of Total Dhamaal, in an interview, director Indra Kumar said that another Dhamaal sequel is definitely on the cards and added that he has already registered two titles - Triple Dhamaal and Full On Dhamaal - for the next installment of the franchise. With the third film named Total Dhamaal, the fourth film will most probably be titled Full On Dhamaal.
Sanjay Dutt and Aashish Chaudhary who were part of first two films but not the third film are expected to return for the fourth film along with Ajay Devgn, Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi, Javed Jaffrey.
- Ajay Devgn [@ajaydevgn] (25 October 2018). "December date with you'll looks challenging, but still keeping my Feb date! Due to extensive VFX work, Total Dhamaal will now release on 22nd Feb and De De Pyaar De moves to 26th April" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal 2019 | British Board of Film Classification". Bbfc.co.uk. 12 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal box office collection prediction: Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor starrer set for double-digit opening". Zeebiz. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal Box Office Collection till Now – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "AJAY "DEVGN TO PLAY THE LEAD IN TOTAL DHAMAAL".
- "Excited to work with Anil Kapoor after 17 years in Total Dhamaal: Madhuri Dixit". The Indian Express. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "INDRA "KUMAR REUNITES MADHURI DIXIT, ANIL KAPOOR".
- Hungama, Bollywood (16 June 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Esha Gupta joins Total Dhamaal; film to release in 3D - Bollywood Hungama".
- "Ajay "Devgn collaborates with Fox Star India for Total Dhamaal".
- "Ajay Devgn starrer Total Dhamaal release date announced". 8 January 2018.
- "dna". dna.
- "Madhuri, Ajay, Anil recreate 80s hit song Paisa Yeh Paisa in Total Dhamaal"
- "Aamir "Khan Gives First Clap For Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit's Total Dhamaal Shoot".
- "AJAY "DEVGN KICKS OFF TOTAL DHAMAAL WITH REGULARS AND NEW ENTRANTS ANIL KAPOOR, MADHURI DIXIT, BOMAN IRANI".
- "Total Dhamaal: Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit recreate Karz's song Paisa Yeh Paisa". PINKVILLA.
- "'80s hit track 'Paisa Yeh Paisa' recreated for 'Total Dhamaal' - Times of India".
- "Total Dhamaal - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". JioSaavn.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (14 January 2019). "First look of Ajay Devgn with Crystal from #TotalDhamaal... Costars Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi, Jaaved Jaaferi, Sanjay Mishra and Pitobash... Directed by Indra Kumar... Fox Star Studios presentation... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/DzfHHWDHvP" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal first look: Ajay Devgn and a Hollywood star named Crystal". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (18 January 2019). "And here comes the first look poster of #TotalDhamaal... Trailer on 21 Jan 2019... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/P3aEAUlS3b" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (19 January 2019). "Trailer on 21 Jan 2019... Here's the second poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/pd40DIZkk7" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (20 January 2019). "Trailer out tomorrow... Here's the third poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/1jpCIJ5zdY" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (21 January 2019). "Trailer out today... New poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release... #TotalDhamaalTrailer t.co/AA4Q3glF3o" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (21 January 2019). "And here's another poster of #TotalDhamaal before the trailer drops today... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release... #TotalDhamaalTrailer t.co/Duc8kEUWGx" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal: Anil Kapoor-Madhuri Dixit-Ajay Devgn's film to release on next year"
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (17 February 2019). "#TotalDhamaal certified PG by British censors on 15 Feb 2019. Approved run time: 126 min, 52 sec [2 hours, 6 minutes, 52 seconds]... #Overseas #UK" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (22 February 2019). "#TotalDhamaal screen count... India: 3700 Overseas: 786 Worldwide total: 4486 screens Has opened well in mass circuits... Metro plexes are decent... Biz at plexes should grow in evening shows when family audience, generally, turns up" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Hungama, Bollywood (18 February 2019). "After Pulwama Terror Attacks, Ajay Devgn and makers to NOT release Total Dhamaal in Pakistan - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal". Hotstar. April 2019. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal (2019)". Retrieved 14 June 2020 – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (22 February 2019). "#OneWordReview…#TotalDhamaal: ENTERTAINING. Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ No one is looking for logic here... Focusses on humour and entertainment... First half hilarious... Second half could've been tighter... Loaded with clean humour... Families and kids should like. #TotalDhamaalReview t.co/EQitTkHEH2" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Kotecha, Ronak. "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Times of India. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Sen, Raja. "Total Dhamaal movie review: Yet another Ajay Devgn atrocity. 1 star". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "'Total Dhamaal' director Indra Kumar plans next instalment; registers two titles - 'Triple Dhamaal' and 'Full On Dhamaal'". Times of India. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 11 March 2019.