Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Indra Kumar|
|Produced by||Ajay Devgn|
Sri Adhikari Brothers
|Story by||Indra Kumar|
|Edited by||Dharmendra Sharma|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹228.27 crore|
Total Dhamaal (also known as Dhamaal 3) is an Indian 2019 Hindi-language adventure comedy film directed, co-produced and written by Indra Kumar. The third installment of the Dhamaal franchise, it is a reboot of the 2007 film Dhamaal, and based loosely on the 1963 Hollywood film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Total Dhamaal features an large ensemble cast including Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi, Javed Jaffrey, and Esha Gupta. It also stars Sanjay Mishra, Pitobash Tripathy, Boman Irani, Johnny Lever, and Manoj Pahwa in brief roles, with Sonakshi Sinha appearing in a item number "Mungda". The film has been produced on a budget of ₹90 crore (US$13 million).
Production of the film began in March 2017. Deshmukh, Warsi and Jaffrey were chosen to be a part of Total Dhamaal too. Meanwhile, Devgn, Kapoor and Dixit were added to the cast as well. Principal photography of Total Dhamaal began in January 2018. Devgn also co-produced the film. Filming concluded in August 2018. The official teaser of the film was unveiled on 19 January 2019, whereas trailer released on 21 January. Due to the Pulwama Attack held on 14 February, the film was not released in Pakistan.
The film was theatrically released on 22 February 2019. It received mixed reviews from critics. The film grossed over ₹200 crore (US$29 million) within 12 days of its release. With a worldwide gross of ₹228.27 crore (US$33 million), it became one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2019 and one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time. The film netted ₹154 crore (US$22 million) domestically and was termed a Super Hit by Box Office India.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2019)
Total Dhamaal starts with a different storyline from Dhamaal and Double Dhamaal. Guddu (Ajay Devgan) and his partner Johnny (Sanjay Mishra) steal ₹500 million of black money from the Police commissioner (Boman Irani). As they put the suitcases containing the money in a car, Pintoo (Manoj Pahwa), who is driving the car, double-crosses Guddu and Johnny, running away with the money. After that we are introduced with the other characters of the movie – Bindu Patel (Madhuri Dixit), Avinash Patel (Anil Kapoor), Lallan (Riteish Deshmukh), Aditya Shrivastav (Arshad Warsi), and Manav Shrivastav (Jaaved Jaffrey). Adi and Manav are the only characters the same as the prequels.
One month later, Pintoo plans to leave the country but Guddu and Johney catch him. While running from them, Pintoo gets onto a private plane but the plane crashes as the pilot of the plane was a cleaner. The plane crashes and Guddu-Johnny, Avinash-Bindu, Lallan-Jhingur, and Adi-Manav meet Pintoo at the spot of crashing. Here Pintoo reveals that money was hidden in the Janakpur zoo. All of them commences the journey to gain that money separately. The story goes on with their adventures until they reach the Janakpur.
All of them reach Janakpur at the same time along with Police Commissioner where they found that a man named Chinappa Swamy (Mahesh Manjrekar) wants to illegally close down the Zoo and attempts to kill all the animals. He kidnaps the zoo caretaker Prachi (Esha Gupta). Guddu-Johnny, Avinash-Bindu, Lallan-Jhingur, and Adi-Manav save the animals. Chinappa Swamy caught them to save the animals and attempts to kill all of them. But the animals save them. Finally, they get rid of Chinnapa Swamy and decided to divide 6 equal parts of 500 million rupees with 5 parts for themselves and one part for the zoo. Guddu falls in love with Prachi.
- Ajay Devgn as Guddu Rastogi, a thief.
- Anil Kapoor as Avinash "Avi" Patel, a businessman. He is Bindu's husband.
- Madhuri Dixit as Bindiya "Bindu" Patel, a strong architect. She is Avinash's wife.
- Riteish Deshmukh as Deshbandhu "Lallan" Roy, a fire officer.
- Arshad Warsi as Aditya "Adi" Shrivastav, a taxi driver. He is Manav's twin brother.
- Javed Jaffrey as Manav Shrivastav, a mentally disabled man. He is Adi's twin brother
- Sanjay Mishra as Johnny, a thief. He is Guddu's partner.
- Pitobash Tripathy as Jhingur, a fire officer. He is Lallan's assistant.
- Esha Gupta as Prachi, the caretaker of the animals of Omkar Zoo. She is Guddu's love interest.
- Johnny Lever as Raju. He is the pilot of Auto Choper.
- Boman Irani as Shamsher "Don" Singh. He is a Police Commissioner.
- Vijay Patkar as Abbas Patkar. He is a police inspector and Don's partner.
- Manoj Pahwa as Pintu Choksey. He is Guddu and Johnny's partner who betrayed them by taking Don's money and hide it in Omkar Zoo.
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Chinappa Swamy. He illegally attempts to close down Omkar Zoo.
- Crystal the Monkey as Security. He is a monkey.
- Ali as the Tamilian jungle man. He leads Avi and Bindu to Hotel Highway, a South Indian restaurant.
- Sudesh Lehri as Altaaf
- Niharica Raizada as Adi's love interest
- Jackie Shroff (Voice only)
- Sonakshi Sinha (special appearance in song "Mungda")
Besides Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi and Javed Jaffrey, director Indra Kumar signed Ajay Devgn for the third part of his Dhamaal film series in late May 2017. Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit were also signed in mid-November 2017 marking their collaboration after seventeen years when they acted together in the film Pukar. Esha Gupta was signed in June 2018.
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||22 February 2019|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|1.||"Paisa Yeh Paisa" (From Karz)||Kunwar Juneja||Dev Negi, Subhro Ganguly, Arpita Chakraborty||4:01|
|2.||"Mungda" (From Inkaar)||Kunwar Juneja||Jyotica Tangri, Shaan, Subhro Ganguly||3:16|
|3.||"Speaker Phat Jaaye"||Kumaar||Harrdy Sandhu, Abuzar Akhtar, Aditi Singh Sharma, Jonita Gandhi||2:58|
|4.||"Theme Song"||Kumaar||Dev Negi||3:10|
Promotion and release
The first teaser look of the film is released on 14 January 2019. The first look theatrical poster was released on 18 January 2019. The second look poster released on 19 January 2019 with trailer release date announcement on 21 January 2019. Third official theatrical poster of the film is unveiled on 20 January 2019. It is promising "The wildest adventure ever!"
The official trailer of film was released on 21 January 2019. To boost their marketing efforts Fox Star Hindi has released the spoof trailers of the film in different Indian languages.
The Video Song from film titled as "Paisa Paisa" was premiered on 29 January 2019.
The film was set to release worldwide on 7 December 2018 but due to extended VFX work the release date has been pushed back to 22 February 2019. The film has been certified with runtime of 127 mins by British Board of Film Classification and all set to release on schedule. The film was released on 22 February 2019 on 3700 screens in India and on 786 screens in overseas market making worldwide count of 4486 screens.
After Pulwama attack, Ajay Devgn and Total Dhamaal makers have decided not to release Total Dhamaal in Pakistan. The makers of the film including the entire crew, actors and makers have donated ₹50 lakhs to families of soldiers who died in the Pulwama attack.
Going by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has scored 43% based on 7 reviews. Taran Adarsh rated the film with three stars and found it entertaining and loaded with clean humour. Himesh Mankad from Koimoi gives 3 star out of 5 says "Total Dhamaal is a fair clean entertainer that can be enjoyed with the entire family. It's definitely an improvement over previous installment Double Dhamaal" Trade analyst Sumit M kadel stated that "Total Dhamaal is funny specially in Ist half. Its a no brainer fast paced family entertainer, lavishly shot & well performed by Ajay Devgn, Madhuri Dixit, Anil Kapoor, Riteish Deshmukh & the entire cast. 2nd half is moderate & it could have been better. Overall Good film." Rating- 3 out of 5 Ronak Kotecha writing for The Times of India gave two stars out of five and feels that in the ensemble cast, the film had the potential to be a comic roller coaster ride. He concluded saying "However, the fact that the film is slapstick is not a problem, what brings it down is poor writing and execution." Raja Sen writing for Hindustan Times rated the film with one star out of five.
The opening day (non-holiday) collection of the film from Indian market was ₹16.50 crore. Its lifetime domestic gross collection was ₹182.09 crore and from overseas markets it was ₹46.18 crore. The worldwide gross collection of the film was ₹228.27 crore. The film grossed ₹100 crore (US$14 million) worldwide in three days of release. In opening week the film grossed ₹150 crore (US$22 million). In 12 days of its release the film crossed ₹200 crore (US$29 million) mark in gross collection.
- Ajay Devgn [@ajaydevgn] (25 October 2018). "December date with you'll looks challenging, but still keeping my Feb date! Due to extensive VFX work, Total Dhamaal will now release on 22nd Feb and De De Pyaar De moves to 26th April" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal 2019 | British Board of Film Classification". Bbfc.co.uk. 12 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal box office collection prediction: Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor starrer set for double-digit opening". Zeebiz. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal Box Office Collection till Now – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Sonakshi Sinha and Ajay Devgn in remake of 'Mungda'". 19 September 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "AJAY "DEVGN TO PLAY THE LEAD IN TOTAL DHAMAAL".
- "Excited to work with Anil Kapoor after 17 years in Total Dhamaal: Madhuri Dixit". The Indian Express. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "INDRA "KUMAR REUNITES MADHURI DIXIT, ANIL KAPOOR".
- Hungama, Bollywood (16 June 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Esha Gupta joins Total Dhamaal; film to release in 3D - Bollywood Hungama".
- "Ajay "Devgn collaborates with Fox Star India for Total Dhamaal".
- "Ajay Devgn starrer Total Dhamaal release date announced". 8 January 2018.
- "dna". dna.
- "Madhuri, Ajay, Anil recreate 80s hit song Paisa Yeh Paisa in Total Dhamaal"
- "Aamir "Khan Gives First Clap For Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit's Total Dhamaal Shoot".
- "AJAY "DEVGN KICKS OFF TOTAL DHAMAAL WITH REGULARS AND NEW ENTRANTS ANIL KAPOOR, MADHURI DIXIT, BOMAN IRANI".
- "Total Dhamaal: Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit recreate Karz's song Paisa Yeh Paisa". PINKVILLA.
- "'80s hit track 'Paisa Yeh Paisa' recreated for 'Total Dhamaal' - Times of India".
- "Total Dhamaal - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". JioSaavn.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (14 January 2019). "First look of Ajay Devgn with Crystal from #TotalDhamaal... Costars Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Riteish Deshmukh, Arshad Warsi, Jaaved Jaaferi, Sanjay Mishra and Pitobash... Directed by Indra Kumar... Fox Star Studios presentation... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/DzfHHWDHvP" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal first look: Ajay Devgn and a Hollywood star named Crystal". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (18 January 2019). "And here comes the first look poster of #TotalDhamaal... Trailer on 21 Jan 2019... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/P3aEAUlS3b" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (19 January 2019). "Trailer on 21 Jan 2019... Here's the second poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/pd40DIZkk7" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (20 January 2019). "Trailer out tomorrow... Here's the third poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release. t.co/1jpCIJ5zdY" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (21 January 2019). "Trailer out today... New poster of #TotalDhamaal... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release... #TotalDhamaalTrailer t.co/AA4Q3glF3o" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (21 January 2019). "And here's another poster of #TotalDhamaal before the trailer drops today... Directed by Indra Kumar... 22 Feb 2019 release... #TotalDhamaalTrailer t.co/Duc8kEUWGx" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Total Dhamaal - Official Trailer - Ajay Devgn - Anil Kapoor - Madhuri Dixit - Indra Kumar". YouTube.
- "Total Dhamaal - Trailer Spoof Punjabi - Ajay-Anil-Madhuri-Indra Kumar|Feb. 22nd". FoxStarHindi on YouTube. 11 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal - Trailer Spoof Gujarati - Ajay-Anil-Madhuri-Indra Kumar|Feb. 22nd". FoxStarHindi on YouTube. 12 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal - Trailer Spoof Bhojpuri - Ajay-Anil-Madhuri-Indra Kumar|Feb. 22nd". FoxStarHindi on YouTube. 12 February 2019.
- "Paisa Paisa Total Dhamaal - Ajay Devgn - Anil Kapoor". Saregama on YouTube.
- "Total Dhamaal: Anil Kapoor-Madhuri Dixit-Ajay Devgn's film to release on next year"
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (17 February 2019). "#TotalDhamaal certified PG by British censors on 15 Feb 2019. Approved run time: 126 min, 52 sec [2 hours, 6 minutes, 52 seconds]... #Overseas #UK" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (22 February 2019). "#TotalDhamaal screen count... India: 3700 Overseas: 786 Worldwide total: 4486 screens Has opened well in mass circuits... Metro plexes are decent... Biz at plexes should grow in evening shows when family audience, generally, turns up" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Hungama, Bollywood (18 February 2019). "After Pulwama Terror Attacks, Ajay Devgn and makers to NOT release Total Dhamaal in Pakistan - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Total Dhamaal". Hotstar. April 2019. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "TOTAL DHAMAAL (2019)". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (22 February 2019). "#OneWordReview…#TotalDhamaal: ENTERTAINING. Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ No one is looking for logic here... Focusses on humour and entertainment... First half hilarious... Second half could've been tighter... Loaded with clean humour... Families and kids should like. #TotalDhamaalReview t.co/EQitTkHEH2" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Kotecha, Ronak. "TOTAL DHAMAAL MOVIE REVIEW". Times of India. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Sen, Raja. "Total Dhamaal movie review: Yet another Ajay Devgn atrocity. 1 star". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 February 2019.