Total Drama: Revenge of the Island
|Total Drama: Revenge of the Island|
The Total Drama: Revenge of the Island logo.
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original release||January 5 –|
April 12, 2012
Total Drama: Revenge of the Island (also called TDROTI for short) is the fourth season of the Total Drama franchise. The series' extension was commissioned by Teletoon from the producers, Fresh TV Inc. It is a sequel to Total Drama Island, Total Drama Action, and Total Drama World Tour and is a parody of reality TV shows, with this series taking the contestants back to Camp Wawanakwa (the original setting of the first season), only this time the island is radioactive. Previous contestants from past seasons no longer compete in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island since this season features an entire new cast. The thirteen new contestants who are introduced in here are Anne Maria, B, Brick, Cameron, Dakota, Dawn, Jo, Lightning, Mike, Sam, Scott, Staci, and Zoey. This new season has new friendships, new rivalries, and new relationships. However, the season is only half the length of any previous seasons, with just 13 episodes. The season introduced the new cast to what previous contestants have gone through before and prepared them for Total Drama All-Stars. Such a change occurred again in Total Drama: Pahkitew Island.
Like Total Drama Island, this season is a fictional reality show that follows the competition of thirteen new 16-year-old contestants at Camp Wawanakwa, a summer camp on a fictional island located in an unspecified area in Muskoka, Ontario. However, since the island has been forgotten and left alone for the past two seasons, the island has been used as a toxic nuclear waste dump, transforming it into the perfect location for the most dramatic and brutal challenges yet. The new cast of campers must then participate in competitions to avoid being voted off the island as they all try to get ready to compete with some of the most popular original contestants in the fifth season. They spend almost 2 weeks (13 days) in this camp competing in challenges for immunity and at the end of the season, one winning contestant will have the chance to win one million Canadian dollars. The competition is hosted by Chris McLean (Christian Potenza), who is assisted by the camp's chef, Chef Hatchet (Clé Bennett).
At the beginning of the season, the thirteen campers are placed onto two teams, the Mutant Maggots and the Toxic Rats. In each episode, the teams participate in a challenge, in which one or more campers can win invincibility for their team. The losing team is called to the elimination ceremony at night, where they vote one of their own members off the island. At the ceremony, Chris declares which contestants are safe by calling their name and giving them a marshmallow, while the one whose name is not called is eliminated from the game and given a radioactive marshmallow. The eliminated camper is then taken to the Hurl of Shame and catapulted to the Playa de Losers. However, an eliminated camper can still come back to the game if they find a wooden Chris head.
About halfway through the season, the Toxic Rats and the Mutant Maggots are disbanded, after which the challenges continue; the winner of each challenge then only receives invincibility for him or herself, whereupon a camper without invincibility is voted off the island. This process of elimination is continued on until two players (Cameron and Lightning) remain on the island, where then they are subject to a final contest. At the end of the season, Lightning is crowned winner of the season and is given the million dollars by Chris. Cameron however, wins in the alternate ending, which airs only in Canada.
Total Drama: Revenge of the Island premiered on both Teletoon and Cartoon Network 2012. Teletoon has aired Total Drama: Revenge of the Island on Canada on Thursday nights at 7:00 p.m. EST from January 5, 2012, to April 12, 2012, while on June 5, 2012, the U.S. started airing it on Tuesday nights at 7:30 p.m. EST on Cartoon Network. However, the first worldwide airing for this season was in France via Canal+ Family.
|Season||Episodes||Country||Network||First air date||Last air date|
|4||13||Australia||ABC3||May 28, 2012||June 13, 2012|
|Canada||Teletoon||January 5, 2012||April 12, 2012|
|France||Canal+ Family||December 21, 2011||December 29, 2011|
|United States||Cartoon Network||June 5, 2012||August 28, 2012|
|Chris McLean||Christian Potenza||Chris returns as the host of the series.|
|Chef Hatchet||Clé Bennett||Hatchet returns as the cook and co-host of the series.|
The contestant pool consists of 13 new characters, while several characters from the first three seasons make cameo appearances throughout the season.
|Camper||Original Team||Switched Team||2nd Switched Team||Merge||Finish|
The Compulsive Liar
|Toxic Rats||13th place|
|Dakota||Toxic Rats||Original Elimination|
The Strong Silent Genius
|Toxic Rats||12th place|
Returned to game
|Toxic Rats||Toxic Rats||11th place|
The Nice Guy Gamer
|Toxic Rats||Toxic Rats||10th place|
|Mutant Maggots||Toxic Rats[b]||Toxic Rats||Disqualified|
The Jersey Shore Reject
|Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Quit[c]|
The Fame Monger
|Toxic Rats||N/A||Mutant Maggots||7th place[d]|
The Multiple Personality Disorder
|Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Merged Teams||6th place[e]|
The Take-No-Prisoners Jockette
|Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Toxic Rats[b]||5th place|
The Devious Guy
|Toxic Rats||Toxic Rats||Mutant Maggots[f]||4th place|
The Indie Chick
|Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||3rd place[g]|
The Athletic Overachiever
|Toxic Rats||Toxic Rats||Toxic Rats||Winner/runner-up|
The Wide-Eyed Bubble Boy
|Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Mutant Maggots||Winner/runner-up|
|Team Status||Original Teams||Team Swap #1||Team Swap #2||Team Swap #3|
|Team Status||Merged Teams|
Unlike previous seasons, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island features a new set of contestants, which are Anne Maria, B, Brick, Cameron, Dakota, Dawn, Jo, Lightning, Mike, Sam, Scott, Staci, and Zoey. All of the new contestants have their own audition tapes for the new season. They can be seen online on Teletoon's official website, online on Cartoon Network's official website, or on YouTube.
- Anne Maria, known as the Jersey Shore Reject, a vain girl who is constantly worried about her appearance. Voiced by Athena Karkanis.
- B, known as the Strong Silent Genius, is an intelligent individual who does not speak at all. B's real name is Beverly, as revealed in the second episode of the season.
- Brick, known as the Cadet, is a cowardly military cadet who is always interested in serving the army. Voiced by Jon Cor.
- Cameron, known as the Wide-eyed Bubble Boy, a physically weak boy due to living in an inflatable bubble up until competing. However, what he lacks in strength he is able to make up for with brains and he is shown to be extremely smart which helped his team win many challenges. He is one of the finalists, along with Lightning. Voiced by Kevin Duhaney.
- Dakota, known as the Fame Monger, is the heiress to a wealthy family. She was second to be voted off but managed to get back on due to her father bribing Chris, but Chris made her an intern instead of a contestant, to her horror. Exposure to the toxic waste caused Dakota to mutate into an enraged 10-foot tall, green haired monster called the "Dakotazoid". Voiced by Carleigh Beverly.
- Dawn, known as the Moonchild, is a hippie environmentalist who is often seen meditating. She usually studies witchcraft which makes her hold special powers (like reading people's minds and feelings) and tries to help her teammates along the way. Voiced by Caitlynne Medrek.
- Jo, known as the Take-no-prisoners Jockette, is very strong, athletic and dog-eat-dog, but also never feminine, causing Lightning to think that she is a male.. Voiced by Laurie Elliot.
- Lightning, known as the Athletic Overachiever, is strong and athletic, while being an over-achiever who says that he always wins and never loses. However, Lightning is very arrogant and doesn't want to help his team. He is one of the finalists, along with Cameron. Voiced by Tyrone Savage.
- Mike, known as the Multiple Personality Disorder, unfortunately has dissociative identity disorder which causes him to have split personalities. Mike has a relationship with Zoey, due to one of his personalities having a relationship with Anne Maria, though in the end he overwhelmed his personalities and stayed with Zoey. Voiced by Cory Doran.
- Sam, known as the Nice Guy Gamer, is a video game expert but also an addict. He is always seen playing video games as Dakota is always seen on her cellphone, eventually causing Sam and Dakota to get together. Voiced by Brian Froud.
- Scott, known as the Devious Guy, is a farm boy with a rosy complexion and the main antagonist of the season. His strategy revolves around throwing challenges to get his teammates eliminated. He also deals with multiple attacks from a mutated shark named Fang, who wishes to eat him after he unintentionally takes one of his teeth. Voiced by James Wallis.
- Staci, known as the Compulsive Liar, is known for her compulsive lies about her ancestors when she continues to talk and lie for a long time, making everyone around her get annoyed really fast, causing her to be the first eliminated. Voiced by Ashley Peters.
- Zoey, known as the Indie Chick, is a nice and friendly redhead who tries to be friends with everyone. Throughout the entire season, she mostly has a relationship with Mike which causes both her and Mike to fall in love with each other. Voiced by Barbara Mamabolo.
There are two teams again in this season, which are the Toxic Rats and the Mutant Maggots. Here are the original members for each team as of Episode 1:
- Toxic Rats: B (Full name "Beverly"), Dakota, Dawn, Lightning, Sam, Scott, and Staci.
- Mutant Maggots: Anne Maria, Brick, Cameron, Jo, Mike, and Zoey.
Note that at the start of the season, Brick was on the Mutant Maggots but then switched to the Toxic Rats in Episode 4, while in Episode 6 Jo and Scott volunteered to swap teams with one another, and in Episode 7 Dakota was brought back to replace Anne Maria (who quit) and placed on the Maggots.
In the early production stages, the character lineup had twelve contestants, and most of them had body shapes, colors, clothing, heights, hair styles and faces that were completely different from the final designs. The thirteenth character who was added later was B. His design was similar to that of the character used in the Total Drama Island special as the man in the car when Courtney "discovered" civilization. That character also happened to be DJ's prototype from the original Camp T.V. promos. Jo was later renamed to B (which stands for Beverly) while also getting his final design. The only other characters to have their name changed was Mary; she ended up using the name 'Jo'. Despite the rename, this character underwent the least amount of change in design. The other contestant who got renamed was Molly, being renamed to 'Zoey', while also carrying over her label. Anne Maria, Brick, Lightning and Scott had minor modifications made to their outfits. Sam and Scott had different facial hair. The characters who had the most changes made to their designs were Dakota, Staci, and Zoey. Zoey's final design actually used the clothing and body shape from the original design for Dakota. Mike and Cameron had their ethnicities changed. Dawn, who was not in the original lineup, replaced an unused character named Zoey. Cameron's initial design would be reused for Jay and Mickey on Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race.
Although the original contestants did not compete again in this season (according to Chris, they had outlived their usefulness), nine of them still had cameo appearances throughout the season: Bridgette, DJ, Duncan, Ezekiel, Gwen, Heather, Izzy, Lindsay, and Owen. However, at the beginning of the season, all of the original contestants (except for Blaineley) were seen together on a yacht, revealing their status after Total Drama World Tour. They were all last seen (except for the nine who cameo) leaving on the yacht right before the new contestants were first introduced.
A list of all the cameos in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island and their roles during their cameos are shown below:
The fifteen original contestants who no longer appeared after the first episode of the fourth season were Alejandro, Beth, Cody, Courtney, Eva, Geoff, Harold, Justin, Katie, Leshawna, Noah, Sadie, Sierra, Trent, and Tyler. Harold was thought to have a cameo as soon as Brian Froud was confirmed to be part of the cast, but it turned out that Brian voices Sam instead. Out of all the cameos, Ezekiel is the only original contestant who made cameos in more than one episode in the season (he appeared in three episodes), while DJ is the only cameoing character who has the same voice actor as a main character (Chef) already with a major role.
Total Drama: Revenge of the Island was developed and produced by Fresh T.V. Inc. and distributed by Cake Entertainment. Since all the characters in this season are completely new, the studio had to hire several new voice actors to come and voice the new characters, but Brian Froud (the voice actor of Harold) has returned to voice Sam, one of the new characters. This season was directed by Keith Oliver and Chad Hicks, and Todd Kauffman had a small role in the making of this season. Production started in early 2010 when the season was first announced as Total Drama Reloaded, and the new characters were first released to the public by then. Production continued for almost a year well on schedule for a 2011 release date. However, major delays in 2011 caused the season's air date to be pushed back to 2012, since many scenes consisting of radioactive material had to be cut out or edited. There were some other things that did not make the final cut also, like some backgrounds, extra scenes, a flying squirrel concept and an episode about Dakota hosting the show when she locks Chef and Chris in a closet.
Air date conflict and production delays
As revealed by Christian Potenza on the Total Drama: Live Action Panel at Canada's 2011 Fan Expo, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island was originally scheduled to air in July 2011 in the United States and in September 2011 in Canada, but due to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami and the nuclear accident which caused many Japanese citizens to receive radiation poisoning, many staff members found some of the season's scenes of radioactive material and creatures to be considered insensitive to victims of the disaster. This initiated the producers decision to modify the storyline of the season in order to remove some of the radioactive references, leading to many scenes being edited out.
This process of re-editing the entire season required more production time, causing the U.S. air date to be delayed until September 2011 (the time when Canada was originally supposed to air the season), but failure to complete the full season by then (with many scenes that still had to be changed) now caused more delay for both the U.S. and Canada, until the season was fully finished by late 2011 for an early French airing. Now, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island aired three months later on Canada than originally expected on January 5, 2012, while the new rescheduled air date for the U.S. was not until June 5, 2012 (eleven months later than the original air date of July 2011). However, France has aired the entire season in just 8 days from December 21, 2011 to December 29, 2011, becoming the only country in the world to air the season still in 2011. Although, they only aired the French spoken version of the season that did not include the voices from the original voice actors (except Chris and Chef).
On May 28, 2012, Australia also began to air the season almost as fast as France did (one episode per weekday), but this time in English. Italy started to air the season on January 9, 2012, while Cartoon Network also aired the season in the Netherlands, Romania, Scandinavia and Hungary starting on March 5, 2012, Russia and Bulgaria on March 6, 2012, Poland and Africa on March 8, 2012 and Latin America on April 2, 2012. Originally, the season finale was set to air in the U.S. on September 11, 2012, but was instead pulled up to August 28 (two weeks from original date) due to that date being a national memorial holiday. The final two episodes were then combined into a one-hour full-length season finale.
On March 25, 2011, all the shapes of all the 13 contestants were revealed in this video. On March 27, 2011, all the names and personalities of the contestants were revealed in a press release. On April 5, 2011, Christian Potenza posted a YouTube video of him recording the first line of Total Drama: Revenge of the Island. The quote was:
Camp Wawanakwa! Once a paradise on earth, now a radioactive [biohazardous] dump! The perfect setting to drop a gang of teen-freaks and let 'em run wild! We're going back to the island, baby! A whole new set of campers. Each one more abnormal than the next [last]. A whole new set of radioactive [dangerous] challenges! Insane, deranged, disgusting! These are just a few words that describe this season's high level of drama and another million dollar prize! Stay tuned for a brand new vengeful season of Total! Drama! Revenge of the Island!
This line is used for the promotional trailer that Teletoon showed at the end of the Total Drama World Tour finale, which was first released on April 24, 2011 (Easter Sunday). On June 1, 2011 Christian Potenza released on his Facebook the new season logo along with more final designs of the characters. On June 3, 2011 there were snapshots of radioactive Camp Wawanakwa. On August 25, 2011 the new Total Drama: Revenge of the Island flipbook was released. On August 28, 2011, the first official cast image was released to the public via Facebook. On September 24, 2011, the third official trailer was released which contained new scenes and confirmed the team assignments. On September 27, 2011, at the Total Drama: Live Action Panel at Canada's 2011 Fan Expo, Cory Doran confirmed all of Mike's personalities, and Christian Potenza said that the team name for the Radioactive Rats was scrapped. On October 13, 2011, Christian Potenza revealed some stuff about the intro of the season and said that promos will be out soon. On November 28, 2011 the official Canadian air date for the season was announced for January 5, 2012. On December 14, 2011 an animated interview with Chris McLean and a fan was released and revealed that the new team name is now "Toxic Rats". On December 18, 2011, the official Canadian TDRI website was launched that includes interactive menus and biographies of all the new contestants, as well as videos and season descriptions. On December 21, 2011, France began to air the season's episodes, two weeks before Canada. On Christmas 2011, all of the auditions of the 13 new characters were released on Teletoon's official Total Drama site. Cartoon Network viewers were able to vote for Zoey before the finale due to them airing Episode 12 and 13 in the same day.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)
Total Drama: Revenge of the Island has received mostly mixed to positive reviews. In the United States, over 3.3 million people have viewed the season, with over 51% growth over last year, making Total Drama: Revenge of the Island the #1 telecast of the year for Cartoon Network. Tom McGillis said in an interview that both Total Drama: Revenge of the Island and Total Drama Island are the highest rated shows on the series. This season has been viewed in over 100 countries, worldwide. On Metacritic, the season currently holds a 7.3, which indicates "generally favorable reviews".
Madman Entertainment is set to release Part 1 of Season 4 of Total Drama on August 1, 2014 on a Region 4 DVD in Australia with plans to release Part 2 in the fall.
- Chef didn’t show up with the Marshmallow of Toxic Loserdom because Izzy was shooting him with toilet plungers, Brick volunteered to be eliminated, but Chris put him on the opposite team instead. Because of this, Chris was bummed that no one was going for as he put it, “a catapult ride.” Then Dakota came along telling Chris she was finished filling his toilets with spring water. Then Chris had an idea, he eliminated Dakota and welcomed her to swim back.
- This contestant was originally on the Mutant Maggots, but was switched over to the Toxic Rats.
- Anne Maria uncovered a diamond in the mines during the challenge and after Brick was voted out, decided she no longer needed the competition to be rich. However, Chris revealed the diamond was a fake, and eliminated her anyway, before she could change her mind.
- Scott had the most votes, but found the immunity idol, making him automatically safe. Dakota had the second most votes, thus eliminating her instead.
- Scott won immunity, and his reward was to vote off a contestant of his choice. In the end, he chose Mike.
- This contestant was originally on the Toxic Rats, but was switched over to the Mutant Maggots.
- Lightning won immunity, and his reward was to vote off a contestant of his choice. In the end, he chose Zoey.
- Read Question #4
- "Can't Miss Thursdays" Season 2012 Lineup
- Breaking News! TDRI Characters Revealed! March 27, 2011
- Promo that says premiere date and time.
- First Cartoon Network Promo for TDRI
- Biographies from Total Drama Online Archived 2008-10-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Skip to 7:54 to see the "original" B.
- Read Question #5
- Scroll Down to January 9th
- This video shows that Brian Froud is returning. Skip to 3:45
- Total Drama Live Action Panel (Part 1) (Part 2)
- Skip to 5:00 for the first line.
- http://worldscreen.com/worldscreenings/screening/325 Scroll down and click TDRI Trailer
- Total Drama has 3.3 Million Viewers
- Interview with Christian Potenza and Tom McGillis
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Total Drama: Revenge of the Island|