Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Eeshwar Nivas|
|Produced by||Neeraj Pandey|
|Written by||Neeraj Pandey|
AKA Pictures Company
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
|Box office||est. ₹131 million|
Total Siyapaa (transl. Total chaos) is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Eeshwar Nivas and written by Neeraj Pandey. The screenplay is based on that of the Spanish-Argentine film Only Human, written and directed by Dominic Harari and Teresa Pelegri. The main characters in the original film are Israeli and Palestinian while in Total Siyapaa, they are Indian and Pakistani.
It was distributed by Reliance Big Entertainment across 850 theatres in India with two other films: Gulaab Gang and Queen. The film opened on a similar note with Queen in multiplexes, offering stiff competition to each other owing to a similar release count.
The film stars Ali Zafar and Yami Gautam in lead roles with Anupam Kher and Kirron Kher in supporting roles, who appeared for the first time as an on-screen couple. The first look of the film along with that of Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty was launched on the Zee Cine Awards.
Gada-owned Pen India acquired the film rights from Reliance Entertainment while & Pictures acquired 50 per cent equity of the satellite rights. Reliance and Zee Network own the film's overseas and promotional rights respectively. Consequently, Reliance and Gada decided to postpone the release date to 7 March 2014 from 30 January 2014 to promote it. Upon release, Total Siyapaa received generally negative reviews from critics and did not perform well financially.
Settled in London, Aman, a Pakistani musician, hopes to marry Asha, an Indian woman also living in London with her family. He visits her parents' house to seek their permission to marry her. However, his plans to impress the Punjabi family start failing when they discover that he is Pakistani. During the course of events "total chaos" happens.
- Ali Zafar as Aman
- Yami Gautam as Asha
- Anupam Kher as Rajinder Singh, Asha's father
- Kirron Kher as Asha's mother
- Sara Khan as Jia, Asha's sister
- Vishwa Badola as Daddu, Asha's grandfather
- Anuj Pandit Sharma as Manav, Asha's brother
- Barrie Martin
- Sandeep Londhe as friend of Anuj
Total Siyapaa received mostly negative reviews, with critics suggesting skipping it. Reviews of the performances were mixed, with the Hindustan Times lauding it; the Deccan Chronicle and Bollywood Life criticized Ali Zafar's and Yami Gautam's performances, respectively. Kirron Kher's performance was seen as one of the strong points. The lack of a solid plot, the lack of attention to detail and poor comic timing were seen as major drawbacks. The film was largely seen as unfunny and not living up to the trailer.
Box office reception
Total Siyapaa received a low opening with poor box office reception in India due to negative reviews from critics. However, the film did better overseas, being positively received in Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||14 February 2014|
|Language||Urdu / Hindi, Punjabi|
|Ali Zafar chronology|
The album is sung and composed by Ali Zafar; the main lead of the movie. Music was released on 14 February 2014 and was well received by Critics. Karthik writes "The title song Total Siyapaa along with the quirky lyrics, dialogues and sounds, is good fun. Ali Zafar fares really well in Palat Meri jaan, singing, writing and composing the lovely ballad. Palat Meri Jaan is a Chart buster. Nahi maloom has a captivating Middle-Eastern + Latino blend sound and is sung particularly well by Ali and Fariha Parvaiz. The composer-singer uses a reggae template in Asha and delivers a nice, winsome song. Chal Buleya is sufi song with a message. Barring that minor misstep, charming soundtrack overall, with Ali offering a good demonstration of his multi-facetedness."
All music composed by Ali Zafar.
|1.||"Total Siyapaa"||Kumaar||Ali Zafar||3:05|
|2.||"Palat Meri Jaan"||Ali Zafar||Ali Zafar||3:44|
|3.||"Nahin Maloom"||Aqeel Rubi||Ali Zafar, Fariha Pervez||3:41|
|4.||"Asha"||Ali Zafar||Ali Zafar||3:24|
|5.||"Chal Buleya"||Bulleh Shah||Ali Zafar||3:23|
- "TOTAL SIYAPAA (2014)". BBFC. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Ankita R Kanabar (13 March 2014). "An unimpressive start". The Indian Express. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Total Siyaapa - Movie - Box Office India". Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Neeraj Pandey: Movies, Photos, Videos, News & Biography - eTimes". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Gulaab Gang Queen And Total Siyaapa Depend On Word Of Mouth". Box Office India. 7 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "'Aman Ki Asha' goes on floors March 2013". dawn.com. 17 November 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20131203054059/http://www.boxofficecapsule.com/news-specific.aspx%3Fnews_id%3D4837. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Missing or empty
- "Ali Zafar, Yami Gautam shine in the first look of 'Total Siyapaa' at Zee Cine Awards". 20 February 2014.
- "Ali Zafar launches the first look of his film 'Total Siyapaa'". 20 February 2014.
- India, Box Office Capsule. "Pen India Buys Rights Of ITS ENTERTAINMENT And TOTAL SIYAPAA". www.boxofficecapsule.com.
- Mehta, Ankita (7 March 2014). "'Total Siyapaa' Review Roundup: Avoid it!". International Business Times.
- Kaushal, Sweta (8 March 2014). "Movie review: Despite good actors, Total Siyapaa is a waste of time". Hindustan Times.
- "Movie review Total Siyappa: Loud, no punch". Deccan Chronicle. 8 March 2014.
- Thakker, Namrata (6 March 2014). "Total Siyapaa movie review: Ali Zafar and Yami Gautam's romedy lacks both romance and comedy!". bollywoodlife.com.
- Kamath, Sudhish (8 March 2014). "Total Siyappa: Lamest Indo-Pak match". The Hindu.
- Chute, David (8 March 2014). "Film Review: 'Total Siyapaa'". Variety.
- Joshi, Tushar (7 March 2014). "Film review: 'Total Siyapaa' is a wasted opportunity". DNA.
- Saltz, Rachel (9 March 2014). "A Pakistani Fiancé Meets the Indian Parents". The New York Times.
- "Total Siyapaa (2014) Movie Review".
- "Gulaab Gang, Queen, Total Siyapaa Have Poor Opening At Box Office". 7 March 2014.
- "Total Siyapaa Lags Behind Gulaab Gang, Queen". Koimoi. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Total Siyapaa Has A Low Opening Weekend Collections At The Box Office". 10 March 2014.
- "Total Siyapaa Continues To Perform Poorly - 1st Tuesday Box Office Collections - Koimoi". 12 March 2014.
- "Queen races ahead of Gulaab Gang and Total Siyappa at the box office". India Today.
- Mehta, Ankita (11 March 2014). "Box Office Collection: 'Queen' Dominates Over 'Gulaab Gang', 'Total Siyapaa' Worldwide".
- Mehta, Ankita (18 March 2014). "Box Office Collection: 'Queen', 'Bewakoofiyaan', 'Total Siyapaa', 'Gulaab Gang' and Others".
- ""Total Siyapaa" Full Songs (Jukebox) | Ali Zafar, Yaami Gautam". T-Series. 13 February 2014 – via YouTube.
- "Total Siyapaa (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP". Ali Zafar. iTunes India. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "Total Siyapa (Music review), Hindi – Ali Zafar by Milliblog!". itwofs.com.
- "Music Review; Total Siyapaa (2014) *Ali Zafar - Yami Gautam*". www.bollywoodcinetalk.com.
- "Total Siyapaa - Music Review (Bollywood Soundtrack)-Ali Zafar-Yami Gautam - Music Aloud". www.musicaloud.com. 15 February 2014.