Total active reflection coefficient
In computation of radiation performance of multi-port antennas especially in multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna systems total active reflection coefficient, TARC, relates the total incident power to the radiated power. The total active reflection coefficient (TARC) is the square root of the sum of all incident powers at the ports minus radiated power, divided by the sum of all incident powers at the ports of an N-port antenna. The TARC is a function of frequency. With this definition we can characterize the multi-port antenna’s frequency bandwidth and radiation performance. TARC can be computed directly from the scattering matrix for different excitations.
where: is the antenna's scattering matrix, is the excitation vector, and represents the scattered vector. The TARC is a real number between zero and one. When the value of the TARC is equal to zero, all the delivered power is radiated and when it is equal to one, all the delivered power is either reflected back to sources or goes to the other ports.
- Majid Manteghi ; Yahya Rahmat-Samii (2003). "Broadband characterization of the total active reflection coefficient of multiport antennas". [Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2003. IEEE: vol.3, no., pp. 20–23 vol.3, 22–27 June 2003.
- Majid Manteghi ; Yahya Rahmat-Samii (2004). "Multiport characteristics of a wide-band cavity backed annular patch antenna for multipolarization operations". Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on: vol.53, no.1, pp. 466–474, Jan. 2005. External link in
- Daniel Valderas; Pedro Crespo; and Cong Ling (2010). "UWB portable printed monopole array design for MIMO communications". Microwave and Optical Technology Letters: Volume 52, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages: 889–895. doi:10.1002/mop.25047.
- Sung Ho Chae; Se-keun Oh; Seong-Ook Park (2007). "Analysis of Mutual Coupling, Correlations, and TARC in WiBro MIMO Array Antenna". Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE: , vol.6, no., pp.122–125, 2007.
- Po-Chuan Hsieh; Fu-Chiarng Chen (2008). "The relation of TARC-based radiation efficiency and port termination for multiple antenna systems". Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium: pp.1–4, 5–11 July 2008.
- Z. B. Zainal-Abidin; et al. (2011). "Design of 2 x 2 U-shape MIMO slot antennas with EBG material for mobile handset applications". PIERS Online: Vol. 7, No. 1, 81–84, 2011.
- A. R. Mallahzadeh, S. Es'haghi, and A. Alipour (2009). "DESIGN OF AN E-SHAPED MIMO ANTENNA USING IWO ALGORITHM FOR WIRELESS APPLICATION AT 5.8 GHz" (PDF). Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 90,: 187, 203, 2009.