Totally Crushed Out!
|Totally Crushed Out!|
|Studio album by That Dog|
|Released||July 18, 1995|
|Recorded||May 1994, December 1994 at Poop Alley Studios, Los Angeles, CA
October 1994, November 1994 at Toad Hall in Pasadena, CA and Westbeach Recorders in Hollywood, CA
January 1995 at Soundcastle in Silverlake, CA
|Genre||Alternative rock, post-grunge, punk rock|
|Producer||Tom Grimley, Paul du Gré, Rob Cavallo, That Dog|
|That Dog chronology|
Totally Crushed Out! is the second studio album from That Dog (stylized as that dog.), released in 1995 on DGC Records. The recording is a loosely based concept album about love and crushes, featuring an album cover that resembles artwork from the Sweet Valley High young adult book series. This theme is further demonstrated within the rest of the albums' layout. The tracks are listed as a table of contents with song lyrics broken up into chapters, while photos of the band appear under a "About the Authors" section, with a short biography on each member. The albums' back cover features a brief synopsis of a fictitious story, that includes the song titles in their playing order within the text:
She's feeling like a Ms. Wrong again. Silently she pursues him even though something doesn't feel right. Telling herself, "in the back of my mind, I have a crush again." Either he's kissing Christian or he's being shy. Anymore of this will put her over the edge. She wants to say, "to keep me, things are going to have to change because I keep putting on lip gloss and you won't kiss me," but she's too crushed out to talk to him. It seems like everyone is saying "she doesn't know how to handle another crush."
The holidays are coming and she's getting depressed. But she knows that babe with the side part will show up one summer night and be her Mr. Right. It's time for her to say no to the boys who give up like Michael Jordan, so she can find her very own rockstar... or is it?
The album would spawn the single "He's Kissing Christian," with a music video by Frank Sacramento, who also directed videos for The Breeders and Redd Kross. Totally Crushed Out also includes the bands' longest song, "Rockstar," clocking it at well over seven minutes.
The webzine Totally Crushed Out was inspired by this record.
All songs written by Anna Waronker except where noted.
- "Ms. Wrong" (Waronker/Jennifer Konner) – 2:26
- "Silently" – 2:29
- "In the Back of My Mind" – 2:04
- "He's Kissing Christian" – 3:31
- "Anymore" – 2:42
- "To Keep Me" – 2:21
- "Lip Gloss" – 2:58
- "She Doesn't Know How" – 2:26
- "Holidays" – 2:30
- "Side Part" – 2:01
- "One Summer Night" – 2:10
- "Michael Jordan" – 3:27
- "Rockstar" – 7:37
- Anna Waronker – vocals, guitar
- Petra Haden – vocals, violin
- Rachel Haden – vocals, bass, percussion
- Tony Maxwell – drums, piano, acoustic guitar, percussion
- Tanya Haden – cello
- Joey Waronker – additional percussion
- Crib – additional noise on "To Keep Me"
- Speculum Fight – additional noise on "To Keep Me"
- Tom Grimley – producer, mixer
- Paul du Gré – producer, mixer
- Rob Cavallo – producer, mixer
- Jerry Finn – mixer
- Greg Calbi – mastering engineer (Masterdisk)
- Robin Sloane – creative direction
- Jason Dowd – album cover painting
- Robert Fisher – art direction, design
- That Dog – producer, mixer, art direction, design