|Serves||Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
Is the closest airport to the Pitcairn Islands
|Elevation AMSL||7 ft / 2 m|
Sources: French AIP
The airport is found on Totegegie, which is one of Mangareva island's reefs approximately 9 km (5.6 mi) from Rikitea, the island's administrative settlement. It has the only building on the reef. The airport is 1,652 km (1,027 mi) from Tahiti and is classified as a territorial aerodrome. Its only commercial service is to Tahiti's Faaa International Airport on Tuesdays.
Totegegie Airport is crucial in its role as the outside world's link to the more famous Pitcairn Island. One of the only ways a traveler can reach Pitcairn is to fly to Tahiti, then to Totegegie. From there, a 32-hour boat ride will take one to Pitcairn.
- Construction of a runway of 3,500 m by the 115th running of the Society of the Pacific Experimentation Centre Pacific (CEP).
- Landing of the first aircraft at Totegegie, a Piper Aztec, followed by a Breguet Deux-Ponts. The same year, a DC-6 performed weekly service between Totegegie, Mururoa and Papeete.
- First commercial air link Totegegie-Papeete.
- Decommissioning of the French army, including the shed and wharf metal. At the end of operations 50 tons of scrap metal had been collected.
- Expansion and modernization of existing terminal.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Tahiti||Hao, Papeete, Tureia|
||This article needs to be updated. (November 2015)|
The increase in passenger numbers is shown below.
- NTGJ – TOTEGEGIE. AIP from French Service d'information aéronautique, effective 20 July 2017.