Totem (Zazie album)
|Studio album by Zazie|
|Released||5 February 2007|
|Label||Mercury Records, Universal Music|
|Singles from Totem|
Totem is a 2007 album recorded by French pop singer Zazie. It was her sixth studio album, and her ninth album overall. It was released first digitally on 5 February 2007, then as a CD one week later. The album achieved success in francophone countries.
Background and release
As for her previous album Rodéo, Zazie participated in the writing and the composing, alongside her friends Jean-Pierre Pilot and Philippe Paradis. A duet with Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini appears in the track listing.
Unlike for her previous album, Zazie released "Totem" under various formats, including a collector edition composed of a set box and a 68-page booklet (illustrating the lyrics with photos of the singer in Iceland produced by Laurent Seroussi), a mini-CD with the models of the songs "Je suis un homme" and "Jet lag" and a new song in English-language, "I Fall". The 2007 Christmas edition contains two other unpublished songs, including "Haut les mains", a song performed for the first time on stage at the Zénith in Nantes on 1 June 2007. This Christmas edition is also composed of a DVD with the music videos of "Des rails" and "Je suis un homme" as well as of their making-of, the making-of the album and the videos of preview for the Internet.
The album provided five singles, but four of them were only released under promotional formats ; "Je suis un homme" was a hit in France and Belgium where it peaked at number seven.
Chart performances and awards
The album went straight to number-one in France and stayed for 101 weeks in the top 200. It also reached number-one, the second week of its release, in Belgium (Wallonia) and totalled 84 weeks in the top 100. It was ranked for 18 weeks in Switzerland but reached number ten.
The album was also nominated in the category 'Album of varieties' at the 2008 Victoires de la Musique, but didn't win.
All lyrics by Zazie, all music by Zazie, Philippe Paradis and Jean-Pierre Pilot.
|"Je suis un homme"||4:11|
|"Duo" (avec Paolo Nutini)||3:06|
|"Vue du ciel"||3:49|
- DVD - Additional tracks for the 2007 Christmas edition
|"Frère Jacques" (digitally only)||3:40|
|"Haut les mains"||3:23|
Credits and personnel
- Acoustic guitar and bass : Nicolas Fiszma
- Percussion and drums : David Salkin
- Piano, programming and keyboards : Jean-Pierre Pilot
- Sound assistant : Marc Guéroult
- Mixing : Yves Jaget and Jean-Pierre Pilot
- Executive producer : Sandrine Le Bars
- Mastering : Mike Marsh
- Photo and design : Laurent Seroussi
|5 February 2007||Mercury||Belgium, France, Switzerland||Digital||—|
|12 February 2007||CD||0602498451182|
|CD Digipack ‡||0602498008393|
|10 December 2007||Universal||CD + DVD||0600753049181|
|27 February 2008||CD||0600753059739|
- ‡ Includes a mini CD and a booklet.
Certifications and sales
|Country||Certification||Date||Sales certified||Physical sales|
|Belgium||Gold||17 March 2007||25,000|
À fleur de toi by Vitaa
|French SNEP number-one album
17 February 2007 (1 week)
Hanoi by Indochine
Not Too Late by Norah Jones
|Belgian (Wallonia) number-one album
3 March 2007 (1 week)
- "2007 certifications in France". Ultratop. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "2007 albums sales in France". Infodisc. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "2008 albums & downloads sales in France". Infodisc. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Totem, in various albums charts". Lescharts. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "French Digital Chart, 3 February 2007". Disqueenfrance. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "2007 Belgian (Wallonia) Albums Chart". Ultratop. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "2007 French Albums Chart". Disqueenfrance. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "2007 French Digital Chart". Disqueenfrance. Retrieved 2009-07-25.