Touch Me in the Morning (album)
|Touch Me in the Morning|
|Studio album by Diana Ross|
|Released||June 22, 1973
January 2010 (Expanded Edition)
|Genre||R&B, soul, pop, disco|
|Producer||Gil Askey, Michael Masser, Deke Richards, Michael Randall, Diana Ross
Berry Gordy, Jr. (executive producer)
|Diana Ross chronology|
|Singles from Touch Me in the Morning|
Touch Me in the Morning is a 1973 album released by American singer Diana Ross on the Motown Records. It reached #5 in the USA (#1 R&B). The arrangements were by Gene Page, Tom Baird, Michael Randall, James Anthony Carmichael, Deke Richards, Gil Askey and Diana Ross.
|Robert Christgau||C |
In the UK the title track and "All of My Life" were both Top Ten singles, and the album reached #7 and was certified Gold for sales in excess of 100,000 copies.
It includes the first tracks Diana would personally produce on one of her albums, "Imagine" and "Medley: Brown Baby/Save the Children". Several cuts here, including the closing Medley and "My Baby (My Baby, My Own)" were originally intended for the abandoned To the Baby album Diana also worked on in this period. The production was clean and uncluttered, if slightly, unadventurous and straight forward. Diana would also begin working with her brother/songwriter, Arthur "T-Boy" Ross during these sessions as he co-wrote songs she would eventually record and release.
- "Touch Me in the Morning" (Michael Masser, Ron Miller) – 3:26
- "All of My Life" (Michael Randall) – 3:31
- "We Need You" (Deke Richards) – 3:44
- "Leave a Little Room" (Michael Randall) – 3:37
- "I Won't Last a Day Without You" (Roger Nichols, Paul Williams) – 3:49
- "Little Girl Blue" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) – 3:58
- "My Baby (My Baby, My Own)" (Tom Baird) – 2:45
- "Imagine" (John Lennon) – 3:01
- "Medley: Brown Baby/Save the Children" (Tom Baird/Renaldo Benson, Oscar Brown, Jr., Al Cleveland, Marvin Gaye) – 8:17
2010 Expanded Edition
Touch Me in the Morning: Expanded Edition, released in January 2010, includes a newly remastered version of the original album plus previously unreleased mixes, and a pair of alternate versions of "Touch Me in the Morning". Disc two of the expanded edition contains the entire To the Baby album, which includes previously unreleased covers of Michael Jackson's "Got to Be There" and Roberta Flack's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", as well as the original title tune, written by Diana's brother Arthur "T-Boy" Ross. The original medley, "Imagine/Save the Children", two songs that were split for the original album, plus alternate original mixes of songs intended for "To the Baby" that ended up on "Touch Me in the Morning", and an alternate mix of "Young Mothers", which previously had been issued in 1983. Also included are two songs recorded during the same timeline: "Kewpie Doll", written and co-produced by Smokey Robinson, and "When We Grow Up", from Marlo Thomas' 1972 album Free to Be...You and Me.
- Disc 1 (Touch Me in the Morning) [bonus tracks]
- 11. "Touch Me in the Morning" (alternate version #1)
- 12. "All of My Life" (alternate mix)
- 13. "We Need You" (alternate mix)
- 14. "Leave a Little Room" (alternate mix)
- 15. "Touch Me in the Morning" (alternate version #2)
- Disc 2 (To the Baby)
- "Part of You"
- "A Wonderful Guest"
- "Young Mothers" (alternate version)
- "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
- "Got to Be There"
- "To the Baby"
- "Brown Baby" (alternate version)
- "My Baby (My Baby, My Own)" (alternate version)
- "Turn Around" (alternate version)
- "Imagine/Save the Children" (original edit/alternate version)
- "Kewpie Doll"
- "When We Grow Up" (from Free to Be... You and Me)
|1973||Touch Me in the Morning||5||1|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|1973||"Touch Me In The Morning"||1||5||1|
- Christgau, Robert. "Touch Me in the Morning > review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "UK Certified Awards Search > Diana Ross". British Phonographic Industry. Archived from the original on 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Diana Ross US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "British album certifications – Diana Ross – Touch Me in the Morning". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Enter Touch Me in the Morning in the search field and then press Enter.
- "Diana Ross US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-16.