Torra di Negru
|Tower of Negru|
Corsican: Torra di Negru
|Designated||27 October 1992|
The Tower of Negru (Corsican: Torra di Negru) is a Genoese tower located in the commune of Olmeta-di-Capocorso (Haute-Corse) on the coast of the Corsica. The tower sits on the shore on the west coast of Capicorsu.
The tower was one of a series of coastal defences built by the Republic of Genoa between 1530 and 1620 to stem the attacks by Barbary pirates. The tower was built in around 1560. It is included in a list compiled by the Genoese authorities in 1617 where it is recorded as being guarded by two men but only at night.
Notes and references
- Graziani, Antoine-Marie (2000). "Les ouvrages de défense en Corse contre les Turcs (1530-1650)". In Vergé-Franceschi, Michel; Graziani, Antoine-Marie. La guerre de course en Méditerranée (1515-1830) (in French). Paris: Presses de l'Université Paris IV-Sorbonne. pp. 73–144. ISBN 2-84050-167-8.
- "Monuments historiques: Tour de Negro" (in French). Ministère de la culture. Retrieved 4 May 2014..
- Graziani, Antoine-Marie (1992). Les Tours Littorales (in French and Italian). Ajaccio, France: Alain Piazzola. p. 136, no. 66. ISBN 2-907161-06-7.
- "Negru : Présentation" (in French). I Torregiani. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Nivaggioni, Mathieu; Verges, Jean-Marie. "Les Tours Génoises Corses" (in French). Includes information on how to reach 90 towers and many photographs.
|This article about a Corsica building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|