Tour of the Mongoose
|Tour by Shakira|
Promotional poster for the tour.
|Associated album||Laundry Service|
|Start date||November 8, 2002|
|End date||May 11, 2003|
|No. of shows||34 in North America
17 in Europe
9 in South America
|Box office||US $72 million ($93.74 in 2017 dollars)|
|Shakira concert chronology|
Tour of the Mongoose (also known as El Tour de la Mangosta in hispanophone countries) is the third concert tour by Colombian singer and songwriter, Shakira, in support of her first English album, Laundry Service. It is also noted as the singer's first global tour, reaching North America, South America, Asia and Europe. The tour successfully grossed close to $72 million according to Sony Music.
Clear Channel Entertainment announced the "Tour of the Mongoose" in September 2002. The tour came shortly after Shakira reached international success with her third studio album. During a press conference in New York City, Shakira summarized her show as an "entertaining rock show", stating "I'm not saving any effort to make sure that this concert [tour] will be the best I can offer to my fans. And it's going to have a strong spirit of rock and roll, so you will see a rock-and-roll show, but it will have all of the nuances and the subtleties of a show that attempts to entertain."
At the same press conference, Shakira explained the tour's name as symbolizing the strength of the mongoose, stating "...I was really impressed by it because it is an animal that can defeat the snake with just a bite. It's like a living miracle, this animal, to me, because if there's an animal on earth that can defeat the snake—a venomous viper—with a bite, I think that there's got to be some way for us to defeat, or to bite the neck of hatred in this world, no? "It's called the Tour of the Mongoose, and the mongoose is basically one of the few animals who can defeat the most venomous snakes with just one bite and that's why I decided to name my tour that way, because I think that if we all have a little mongoose inside that can defeat the hatred and the resentment and the prejudice of everyday, we can probably win the battle." At the tour commencement, Corey Moss of MTV compared the singer to Britney Spears, Tommy Lee, Elvis Presley, Sheryl Crow and Rage Against the Machine. The show sparked some controversy due to a perceived anti-war message in a video played prior to the performance of "Octavo Día", displaying war footage and later revealing the Grim Reaper to be a puppeteer.
Shakira defended the video stating
|“||"I think that we see war as a virtual thing and we even get to believe that bombs fall on top of cardboard cutouts and stuff like that, they don't. They kill real people, real children, real mothers and millions of innocent people. I come from Colombia, which is a country that has been under the whip of violence for more than four decades, so I've seen the consequences of war and I've seen the psychological damage that it does in a society.
And I think that we're never ready for war. I just feel that there are always pacifist solutions, and I think that the leaders know the exit to the conflict, it's just that sometimes they don't want to use them, they just want to continue playing their little game of power. And I feel that us people have the responsibility and also the obligation to demand to our leaders to give us the pacifist solutions. To give us a world in peace. I might be sounding like an old fashioned hippie, but I believe in pacifist revolutions and I think that we have to look for those solutions, otherwise there's no way to survive in this world. In the First World War, 13 million people were killed. In the Second World War, 40 million people were killed. I think that if a third war takes place, nothing is going to be left on the face of earth. 'Octavo Dia' talks about God when he created the world, the eighth day he went for a walk to outer space and when he came back he found our world in an infernal mess and he found that we were being controlled and manipulated by just a few leaders and that we were like pieces of a chess game. Not always do the governments represent their people. Not always do the governments make the right decisions, because the governments are controlled by just a few, and those few do not always represent faithfully the ideals of the people."
Broadcast and recordings
The tour was shot in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on April 22, 2003. The tour was chronicled on Live & off the Record. The disc included selected songs from the concert, along with a documentary showing the performer preparing for the show, her song writing process and her ideas about social responsibility. It also includes a live CD that features ten songs that were performed during the show. The CD spun off two singles, "Poem to a Horse" and "Whenever, Wherever Live".
In a special edition of "Fijación Oral, Volume 1" the performances of "Fool" and "Donde Estan Los Ladrones?" were included.
Billboard Box office score data
|Venue||City||Tickets sold / available||Gross revenue|
|San Diego Sports Arena||San Diego||11,764 / 11,764 (100%)||$655,400|
|Compaq Center||San Jose||14,116 / 14,116 (100%)||$754,274|
|Arrowhead Pond at Anaheim||Anaheim||10,113 / 12,862 (79%)||$710,255|
|Staples Center||Los Angeles||15,102 / 15,102 (100%)||$1,066,743|
|Don Haskins Center||El Paso||16,392 / 16,392 (100%)||$1,035,105|
|Madison Square Garden||New York||14,249 / 14,249 (100%)||$1,024,460|
|First Union Center||Philadelphia||9,842 / 10,549 (93%)||$450,560|
|Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum||Uniondale||9,131 / 11,854 (77%)||$459,487|
|Bell Centre||Montreal||11,140 / 11,140 (100%)||$466,243|
|Air Canada Centre||Toronto||10,432 / 11,155 (94%)||$429,860|
|Fleet Center||Boston||12,555 / 12,555 (100%)||$678,540|
|American Airlines Arena||Miami||13,958 / 13,958 (100%)||$886,053|
|United Center||Chicago||14,770 / 14,770 (100%)||$934,719|
|American Airlines Center||Dallas||13,550 / 13,550 (100%)||$727,205|
|Compaq Center||Houston||12,735 / 12,735 (100%)||$702,205|
|SBC Center||San Antonio||12,695 / 12,695 (100%)||$709,575|
|Estadio Tres de Marzo||Guadalajara||23,926 / 23,926 (100%)||$1,112,680|
|Auditorio Coca-Cola||Monterrey||35,822 / 35,822 (100%)||$1,184,826|
|Foro Sol||Mexico City||88,163 / 88,163 (100%)||$4,050,889|
|TOTAL||350,455 / 357,357 (98%)||$18,039,079|
- Shakira – Producer, songwriter, vocals, guitar, harmonica
- Gonzalo Agulla – Executive producer
- José Arnal – Executive producer
- Tim Mitchell – Producer, arranger, guitar
- Dana Austin – Producer
- Bettina Abascal – Post producer
- Dominic Morley – Engineer
- Richard Robson – Engineer
- Neil Tucker – Engineer
- Matt Vaughan – Engineer
- Richard Wilkinson – Engineer
- Adrian Hall – Mixing engineer
- Chris Theis – Mixing engineer
- Mike Fisher – Audio post-production
- Mike Wilder – Mastering
- Ramiro Aguilar – Video director
- Pablo Arraya – Editing assistant
- Rita Quintero – Backing vocals, keyboards
- Adam Zimmon – Guitar
- Mario Inchaust – Backing vocals, Guitars
- Albert Sterling Menendez – Keyboards
- Pedro Alfonso – Violin
- Dan Rothchild – Bass guitar, photography
- Brendan Buckley – Drums
- Rafael Padilla – Percussion
- Jeff Bender – Photography, cover photo
- Frank Ockenfels – Photography
- Ian Cuttler – Art direction
- Frank Carbonari – Graphic design
- Rose Noone – A&R
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2017.
- "Shakira sony musicTour of the Mongoose To Visit 51 Cities in 31 Countries". Business Wire. 2002-09-25. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Armor, Jerry (2002-09-25). "Shakira To Embark Upon Tour Of The Mongoose In November". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Moss, Corey; Megan Hanley (2003-02-05). "Shakira Calls For Peace, Explains Mongoose Mystery". MTV News. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Moss, Corey (2002-11-11). "Shakira Shows She's The Colombian Britney, Colombian Tommy Lee At Tour Kickoff". MTV News. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- "Shakira: Live & Off The Record (2004)". Amazon. United States. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Tour of the Mongoose
- Gelman, Jason (2003-01-15). "Shakira Talks Fashion, Maps Out Second Tour Leg". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Shakira will be presented in Mexico
- Shakira: hurricane approaches
- Shakira delighted at "The Monumental"
- Shakira, a presentation without family memories
- Billboard Boxscore U.S.A 2002 Page 14
- Billboard Boxscore U.S.A 2002 Page 36
- Billboard Boxscore U.S.A 2003 Page 20
- Billboard Boxscore Mexico 2003 Page 19
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tour of the Mongoose.|