|An open mature wave dominated barrier estuary; or Perennial river|
|State||New South Wales|
|Regions||South Eastern Highlands (IBRA), South Coast|
|- left||Back Creek (Bega Valley, New South Wales), New Station Creek, Mataganah Creek, Stony Creek (Towamba River), Jingo Creek|
|- right||Basin Creek, Reedy Creek (Bega Valley, New South Wales), Wog Wog River, Pericoe Creek, Camping Ground Creek, Stanleys Creek, Shelleys Creek|
|Source||South Coast Range, Great Dividing Range|
|- location||near Coolangubra Mountain|
|- elevation||533 m (1,749 ft)|
|Mouth||Tasman Sea, South Pacific Ocean|
|- location||Nullica Bay, Twofold Bay|
|Length||86 km (53 mi)|
|Depth||1.1 m (4 ft)|
|Basin||1,026 km2 (396 sq mi)|
|Area||2.0 km2 (1 sq mi)|
|National parks||South East Forest NP, Mount Imlay NP|
|Website: NSW Environment & Heritage|
Course and features
The Towamba River rises near Coolangubra Mountain, below Mount Marshall on the eastern slopes of the South Coast Range, part of the Great Dividing Range, approximately 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) north of Coolangubra Mountain. The river flows generally southeast and then northeast, joined by twelve tributaries including the Mataganah Creek and Wog Wog River, before reaching its mouth, emptying into Nullica Bay, within Twofold Bay, and spilling into the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean, east of Boydtown. The river descends 533 metres (1,749 ft) over its 86 kilometres (53 mi) course.
The catchment area of the river is 1,026 square kilometres (396 sq mi) with a volume of 2,050 megalitres (72×106 cu ft) over a surface area of 2.0 square kilometres (0.77 sq mi), at an average depth of 1.1 metres (3 ft 7 in).
At the locality of Kiah, the Princes Highway crosses the Towamba River.
- "Towamba River". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Roy, P. S; Williams, R. J; Jones, A. R; Yassini, I; et al. (2001). "Structure and Function of South-east Australian Estuaries". Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 53: 351–384. doi:10.1006/ecss.2001.0796.
- "Map of Towamba River, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Towamba River". Coastal and floodplain management: Coastal zone management: Estuaries of NSW. NSW Environment and Heritage. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Towamba & Genoa catchment" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.