Townscaper is an indie city builder video game. It was released for PC and Mac on the Steam platform in June 2020 by developer Oskar Stålberg. A port to the Nintendo Switch was released in August 2021, alongside which the Steam version left early access. The mobile version was released in October 2021. It features low poly graphics and a simple, minimalistic user interface.
Townscaper has no inherent objective or story, and has been described by developer Stålberg as "more of a toy" than a game. Users construct an island town by placing and removing colored blocks on an ocean. Various "rules" dictate these blocks' appearances, with some appearing as spires and others as balconies. This method of rule-based decoration allows arches, gardens, and stairways to be created without specific user instruction.
Townscaper takes place on a large distorted grid set in an infinite sea. This allows for towns that feel more organic and unstructured when compared to similar games that are based on regular grids.
Townscaper was developed by Swedish developer Oskar Stålberg, who previously worked on Bad North. Stålberg gave a talk at the event IndieCade Europe 2019 during development, that showcased some of the game's features, including terrain generation and procedural building design.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2020)
- "Lovely town-building toy Townscaper is out in early access". Rock Paper Shotgun. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Townscaper — the chill city-design game — is out now on Switch". VentureBeat. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "Townscaper is now available on mobile!". Twitter. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Cute town building toy Townscaper has left early access". Rock Paper Shotgun. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "A game for our times: Townscaper". cnet. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Oskar Stålberg". Twitter. Retrieved 21 July 2020.
- "Organic Towns from Square Tiles". YouTube. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- "Townscaper for Switch Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved 25 October 2021.
- "Townscaper for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved 25 October 2021.
- Madnani, Mikhail (20 October 2021). "'Townscaper' iOS Review – Relaxing Brilliance". TouchArcade. Retrieved 25 October 2021.
- >"Make adorable, instant towns in Townscaper, out now in Steam Early Access". PC Gamer. Retrieved 20 July 2020.