|Editor-in-Chief||Jonathan Collin, MD|
|Frequency||Ten times per year|
|Founder||Jonathan Collin, MD|
|Based in||Port Townsend, Washington|
Townsend Letter, formerly Townsend Letter for Doctors, then Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients, is a periodical focusing on alternative medicine which has been in circulation since 1983. Townsend Letter's website notes in a disclaimer: "While articles, letters and editorials seek to be scientific and show pros and cons, some information will be biased from the viewpoint of the author, be it physician or patient. We encourage reports which frequently are not data-based but are anecdotal. Hence, information presented may not be proven or factually correct. All authors are required to submit their reports to other professionals for review, but this process does not ensure the validity of medical advice. The editors of the Townsend Letter recommend that all patients (and physicians) review further reports provided in the article's references and investigate the practitioner's techniques before undertaking an alternative diagnosis, examination or treatment. Please discuss such treatments and examinations with a reputable health practitioner in your community. If you do use an alternative treatment discussed in the Townsend Letter, we would appreciate your report of the outcome, any side effects and costs. Townsend Letter does not give medical advice or doctor referrals. "
The website Quackwatch has listed theTownsend Letter on its list of magazines as nonrecommended and fundamentally flawed, however Dr. Stephen Barrett who is behind Quackwatch, has not been a licensed physician since the early 1990s and has lost at least 40 defamation suits he launched against those who attacked his statements.
Abstracting and indexing
- Feuerman, Francine; Handel, Marsha J. (1997). Alternative Medicine Resource Guide. Medical Library Association. p. 224. ISBN 978-0-8108-3284-8.
- "Townsend Letter". Ulrichsweb. ProQuest LLC. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Quick Search – Townsend letter for doctors & patients [electronic resource]". London South Bank University Library. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "About Townsend Letter". Townsend Letter. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Hoffman, EJ (12 December 2010). Cancer and the Search for Selective Biochemical Inhibitors, Second Edition. CRC Press. p. 55. ISBN 978-1-4200-4596-3.
|This article about alternative medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|