Townsend Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|Townsend Township, Sandusky County, Ohio|
Across the broad fields of rural Townsend Township
Location of Townsend Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|• Total||33.8 sq mi (87.6 km2)|
|• Land||32.5 sq mi (84.1 km2)|
|• Water||1.3 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|Elevation||604 ft (184 m)|
|• Density||51.4/sq mi (19.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086918|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Margaretta Township, Erie County - northeast
- Groton Township, Erie County - southeast
- York Township - south
- Green Creek Township - southwest corner
- Riley Township - west
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Townsend Township is located in Huron County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sandusky County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 13 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.