St. Mary's church, Towyn
|Population||7,864 (including Kinmel Bay) (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Senedd Cymru – Welsh Parliament|
According to the 2001 Census, together with neighbouring Kinmel Bay (to the east), it had a population 7,864, of which 10.7% could speak Welsh. Only a third of the population were born in Wales. Towyn itself had a population of 2,380 in the 2011 census.
A combination of gale-force winds, a high tide and rough seas caused Towyn's flood defences to be breached at about 11.00am on 26 February 1990. 4 square miles (10 km2) of land was flooded, affecting 2,800 properties and causing areas of the resort to be evacuated. The coastal defences have since been reconstructed and significantly enhanced.
St. Mary's Church was designed by the renowned architect George Edmund Street, and was consecrated on 17 June 1873. It is known for the distinctive tiling on the roof. The same architect also designed the building which now houses the youth club in nearby Abergele.
The principal economic activity in Towyn is tourism, concentrated in the summer season. A mix of static caravans and touring caravan pitches provides accommodation.
Towyn is also the name of an electoral ward which comprises the western half of the community of Kinmel Bay and Towyn. It elects a county councillor to Conwy County Borough Council. It was represented by the Labour Party until June 2004, when the Conservative Party won the seat. At the May 2017 election the ward was won by an Independent councillor.
Towyn is also a community ward, electing town councillors to represent it on Towyn and Kinmel Bay Town Council.
- Towyn & Kinmel Bay Key Statistics (PDF), Conwy County Borough Council, archived from the original (PDF) on 15 May 2011, retrieved 4 December 2007
- Towyn and Kinmel Bay Coastline, Conwy County Borough Council, archived from the original on 27 September 2006, retrieved 18 March 2009
- Election Maps, Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Conwy County Borough Council Election Results 1995–2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- Welcome to our website, Towyn and Kinmel Bay Town Council. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towyn.|
|This Conwy County Borough location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|