This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Toyonaka City Hall
Location of Toyonaka in Osaka Prefecture
|First official recorded||684 AD|
|City Established||October 15, 1936|
|• Mayor||Keiichirō Asari|
|• Total||36.38 km2 (14.05 sq mi)|
(October 1, 2016)
|• Density||11,000/km2 (28,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+09:00 (JST)|
|City hall address||3-1-1 Nakasakurazuka, Toyonaka-shi, Osaka-fu|
As of 2016[update], the city has an estimated population of 396,014 and a population density of 11,000 persons per km². The total area is 36.38 km². Its peak population was over 420,000.
Toyonaka is a residential area of Osaka Prefecture, and includes Senri New Town.
The city is easy to reach through various modes of transportation, and many of its residents commute daily into Osaka City to work. Osaka University and Osaka Music College have their campuses in Toyonaka.
The Harada Shinto shrine is located in Toyonaka, adjacent to the Hankyu Okamachi station. Founded during the reign of the Emperor Tenmu (672-686), the wooden shrine was rebuilt in 1652 and again in 1781. An important cultural property, it is known for its copse of camphor trees and it is the site of the popular Lion Festival each October.
The city is served by the Osaka Monorail (Senri-Chūō Station, Shōji Station, Shibahara Station, Hotarugaike Station and Osaka Airport Station), the Kita-Osaka Kyūkō Railway (Senri-Chūō Station and Ryokuchi-kōen Station) and the Hankyu Takarazuka Line (Shōnai Station, Hattori-tenjin Station, Sone Station, Okamachi Station, Toyonaka Station and Hotarugaike Station).
Points of interest
- Hattori Ryokuchi Arboretum
- Hattori Ryokuchi Park
- Osaka University
- Open-Air Museum of Old Japanese Farm Houses
- San Mateo, California, United States
- Takashi Fujii - television performer
- Mai Hosho - actress 
- Tak Matsumoto - musician and guitarist (B'z)
- Yoshihiro Murai - governor of Miyagi prefecture (2005–present)
- Masashi Oguro - soccer player
- Kaoru Shintani - manga artist
- Shōzō Endō - comedian
- Naoki Tanaka - comedian
- Osamu Tezuka - manga artist and animator
- Hitomi Yaida - singer and songwriter
- Yukie Nishimura - pianist and composer
- Naoki Tanizaki - professional wrestler
- Sanshiro Takagi - professional wrestler
- "List of Consulates in Kansai Area Archived 2008-09-23 at the Wayback Machine." Creation Core Higashi Osaka. Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- 株式会社スポーツニッポン新聞社マルチメディア事業本部. 宝生舞 ～タレント名鑑～ ― スポニチ Sponichi Annex 芸能. www.sponichi.co.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 2016-02-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toyonaka, Osaka.|
- Official website (in Japanese)