Location of Toyosato in Shiga Prefecture
|• Mayor||Sadamu Itō|
|• Total||7.78 km2 (3.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||940/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Quercus phillyraeoides|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|City hall address||375, Ishibatake, Toyosato-chō, Inukami-gun, Shiga-ken
As of 2003, Toyosato's estimated population was 7,292 and had a density of 937.28 persons per km². The total area is 7.78 km², which makes it the smallest town in Shiga prefecture. It is said to be the home of Goshu Ondo.
From Feudal to modern times, Toyosato has been the home of many merchants because of economic encouragement from daimyo and because traffic can flow smoothly(Nakasendō), although it was not an area that had good irrigation for agriculture. Successful merchants such as the founder of Itochu contributed to the modernization of the city. Tetsujirō Furukawa donated ferroconcrete school buildings designed by William Merrell Vories for the Toyosato Elementary School in 1937. The Toyosato Elementary School moved to a new building in 2004, but the residents of Toyosato moved to preserve the historic school. In 2009, the anime K-On! featured a school modeled on Toyosato Elementary, which drew the attention of otaku.
- The compilation committee of Kadokawa Nihon Chimei Daijiten (1979). Kadokawa Nihon Chimei Daijiten 25 Shiga-ken. Tokyo: Kadokawa Shoten.
- Anime Pilgrimage: Visiting the model of K-ON!! Highschool. GIGAZINE. July 28, 2010. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- Media related to Toyosato, Shiga at Wikimedia Commons
- Toyosato official website (Japanese)
- Toyosato Tourism Association (Japanese)
|This Shiga Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|