Toyota Corolla (E210)
|Toyota Corolla (E210)|
2018 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport hatchback (MZEA12R, Australia)
|Designer||Yoshiki Konishi (2016)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact car (C)|
- 1 Body styles
- 2 Markets
- 3 Safety
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The twelfth generation Corolla in hatchback body style was unveiled as a pre-production model in March 2018 at the Geneva Motor Show as the Auris. The Auris nameplate was discontinued across Europe in January 2019, but the nameplate has been used in Taiwan from September 2018. The Taiwanese Auris is propelled by the 2.0-litre petrol engine and CVT transmission. It is equipped with VSC, TRC, HAC, Head-Up-Display, Push Start and Smart Entry.
For the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM), the hatchback is marketed as Corolla Sport and was sold alongside the smaller and older Corolla Axio sedan and Corolla Fielder station wagon. In other regions, it just simply called Corolla hatchback.
Depending on the countries, power for the Corolla hatchback comes from the choice of the 1.2-litre 8NR-FTS turbo petrol, 1.8-litre 2XR-FXE Hybrid petrol, 2.0-litre petrol M20A-FKS or 2.0-litre M20A-FXS Hybrid petrol.
The station wagon or estate variation of the Corolla, called the Corolla Touring Sports, was unveiled at the 2018 Paris Motor Show. The official images of the Corolla Touring Sports were revealed on 4 September 2018.
Based on the Touring Sports, the Corolla Trek Hybrid was displayed at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show. This crossover-style concept comes with black plastic over fenders, front and rear lower bumpers' protectors, roof ornaments and slightly raised suspension.
The Corolla Touring Sports shares the same engine as the hatchback, but the 2.0-litre petrol engine is not offered. Manual transmission is only paired into the 1.2-litre engine, automatic CVT is for the Hybrid models. Model grades are vary across the countries.
The sedan variation of the Corolla was unveiled simultaneously between 15 and 16 November 2018 in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, United States and China at the 2018 Guangzhou International Motor Show. The model is sold in two versions: Prestige and Sporty.
The Prestige model is sold in China, Europe and other countries. The model uses a different front fascia, which is more similar to the XV70 Camry. The first Prestige model sedan rolled off the assembly line at Toyota's Sakarya plant in Turkey on 28 January 2019. The Prestige model sedan was launched in Turkey on 13 February 2019 and sales began on the following day.
It has been available in certain European countries since March 2019. While there are several engine choices for the Hatchback and Touring Sports, the sole powertrain for the European Corolla sedan or saloon is 1.8-litre Hybrid matched to the CVT.
In Taiwan and Southeast Asia (except Malaysia), it is sold as the Corolla Altis. It was launched in Taiwan on 27 March 2019, in Thailand on 3 September 2019, in the Philippines on 9 September 2019 and in Indonesia on 12 September 2019.
The Sporty model uses a similar front fascia to the hatchback and wagon versions. This version is sold in North America, Japan, China (as the Levin (Japanese: トヨタ・レビン Toyota Rebin)) and other countries. The Chinese-spec model will get an onboard Data Communication Module, one of the features under the Toyota Connected suite, as standard which is also available on the Corolla Sport hatchback and Crown in the Japanese market.
The Corolla Hatchback is sold in Japan as the Corolla Sport, which was launched on 27 June 2018. It is sold exclusively at Toyota Corolla Store dealerships equipped with T-Connect available with the 2018 Crown. Motive power for the Japanese Corolla Sport comes from the 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine, or 1.8-litre Hybrid engine. Trim levels are the base G"X", mid-level G and fully loaded G"Z". Intelligent manual transmission is only for the cars with smaller displacement engine. The 1.2-litre cars are also offered with Full-Time 4WD paired with CVT-i. The 2WD G"Z" can be ordered with Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system and Drive Mode Select with Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes. TRD or Modellista body kit is optional for all models.
The North American production version of the Corolla Hatchback was unveiled on 28 March 2018 at the New York International Auto Show for the 2019 model year. Model grades are SE and XSE. The North American Corolla Hatchback is powered by the 2.0-litre Dynamic Force engine mated to 6-speed intelligent manual transmission (SE) or CVT with physical first launch gear and 10-speed simulated gear (SE and XSE). The US market SE and XSE models are equipped with Entune 3.0[note 1] infotainment system and standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0.
For 2020 model year, the North American Corolla sedan went on sale on 26 February 2019. Model grades for the North American Corolla sedan are L, LE and XLE with 1.8-litre engine, as well as the SE and XSE with 2.0-litre engine. The only transmission for the smaller engine is CVT with physical first gear, while the bigger power source can be paired with either CVT (SE and XSE) or 6-speed manual (SE). The Hybrid model is only available in LE trim and with CVT.
The twelfth generation Corolla came to the Mexican market on 7 May 2019 in Base, LE, SE and Hybrid versions.
All trim levels come with a Toyota Entune 3.0 touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa integration, the Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 (TSS 2.0) suite of driver assistance technologies, power windows and door locks, LED front headlamps with Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) and LED rear tail lamps, eight airbags, the Toyota STAR Safety System and the ToyotaCare maintenance plan for 2 years or 25,000 miles (whichever comes first).
Available upscale features include steering wheel-mounted shift paddles for CVT transmission-equipped models, 18" alloy wheels, an eight-inch Toyota Entune 3.0 touchscreen infotainment system with Remote Connect and 4G LTE Wi-Fi capabilities, Toyota SofTex-trimmed seating surfaces with cloth inserts, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, full-speed radar cruise control, available Lane Tracing Assist, Road Sign Assist, Automatic High Beams, adaptive front lighting system and a seven-inch multi-information instrument cluster display.
A hybrid version of the Corolla is being offered for the first time in the United States. It was unveiled at the 2018 LA Auto Show. The hybrid Corolla drivetrain is mechanically almost identical to the Prius. The choice of adding a hybrid version of the Corolla in the US was to help Toyota meet CAFE standards by using a higher-volume car and that Hispanic customers prefer the Corolla to the Prius.
Engine choices for the North American Corolla are:
- 1.8 L, "2ZR-FAE" inline four-cylinder (I4) petrol engine, 104 kW (139 hp), 171 N⋅m (126 lb⋅ft), (L, LE and XLE models, CVT transmission only) (N/A on hatchback)
- 1.8 L, "2ZR-FXE" inline four-cylinder (I4) petrol engine with Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive System, 90 kW (121 hp), 142 N⋅m (105 lb⋅ft), (LE hybrid models only, CVT transmission only) (N/A on hatchback)
- 2.0 L, "M20A-FKS" dynamic force inline four-cylinder (I4) petrol engine, 126 kW (169 hp), 205 N⋅m (151 lb⋅ft), (SE and XSE models, 6-speed manual transmission or CVT transmission) (standard on hatchback)
For the mainland China market, excluding Hong Kong, the E210 Corolla sedan is available in two different styles. The Prestige Corolla is built by FAW, and the Sporty model called Levin is manufactured by GAC. Both the Corolla and the Levin are offered as regular petrol, Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid versions. Both were released in China on 8 August 2019.
In China, the hybrid version is called "ShuangQing", to differentiate from the petrol version. Some versions come with a 12.1-inch portrait touchscreen (like the technology version of Levin or Levin Hybrid) and other versions come with 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Carlife or Welink. The other specs are the same as the North America version.
Available powertrain options include:
- 1.2 L, "8NR-FTS" inline four-cylinder (I4) turbocharged petrol engine, 86 kW (115.5 hp), 185 N⋅m (136.5 lb⋅ft) (petrol version only, with CVT transmission)
- 1.8 L, "2ZR-FXE" inline four-cylinder (I4) petrol engine with Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive System, 90 kW (121 hp), 142 N⋅m (105 lb⋅ft), (hybrid models only, ECVT transmission only)
The twelfth generation Corolla Hatchback is built in the UK and features a 2-litre, 134 kW (180 bhp) Dynamic Force Hybrid drivetrain along with a less powerful 1.8-litre, 91 kW (122 hp) drivetrain. Standard petrol engines are also available, one of them would be a 1.2-litre turbocharged engine. However, diesel engines would not be used. Production of the European market Corolla Hatchback began on 14 January 2019. Sales began in the UK in February 2019 and across Europe in March 2019.
The Corolla Hybrid in the European market was unveiled as a pre-production model at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show as the Auris Hybrid, with the Auris name later discontinued. The production version of the European market Corolla Hybrid in hatchback and estate (Touring Sports) variants were later revealed at the 2018 Paris Motor Show.
Across Europe, the Corolla is sold in several trim levels. For example in Switzerland, the Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports are offered in Active, Comfort, Trend, Style and Premium model grades. Engine choice for the Active and Comfort, is either 1.2-litre turbo or 1.8-litre Hybrid. The mid-level Trend can be paired with 1.2-litre turbo, 1.8-litre Hybrid or 2.0-litre Hybrid. The only power source for the Style and Premium is 2.0-litre Hybrid. Manual transmission is only for the Active and Comfort with 1.2-litre turbo, the rests of the range come with E-CVT. Standard and optional equipment are varies across the countries. Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), ambient illumination lighting, LED lamps, sports front seats, smart entry system, upgraded sound system with navigation, 18-inch alloy wheels and panoramic roof are available for the higher grade models.
The E210 Corolla Sedan marks the return of conventional 4-door body shape Corolla after the E120 generation was replaced by hatchback and estate only Auris. While the 5-door Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports are sold across Europe, the 4-door Sedan/Limousine/Saloon is only offered in selected countries like the UK, Germany and Spain.
In the UK, the Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports are marketed as Icon, Icon Tech, Design and Excel. The top of the line Excel is only sold with 1.8- or 2.0-litre Hybrid engine.
Thailand was the first country in Southeast Asia to launch the E210 Corolla Altis. Based on the 1.6 J, the cheapest model of the Thai market Corolla Altis is called Limo, which is intended for taxi purpose. The other model grades are 1.6 G, 1.8 GR Sport, Hybrid Entry, Hybrid Mid and Hybrid High. All engines are paired to CVT.
In the Philippines, trim levels of the Corolla Altis are 1.6 E (with manual transmission only), 1.6 G (with either manual transmission or CVT), 1.6 V (with CVT only) and 1.8 V Hybrid (with CVT only).
The Corolla Hatchback was launched in Australia on 7 August 2018 and is available in three model grades: Ascent Sport, SX and ZR. All models are powered by a 2.0 L engine. The 6-speed manual transmission is only available as standard on the base model Ascent Sport, while automatic CVT is optional for the Ascent Sport and standard on the mid-level SX and top-of-the-line ZR. The 1.8 L engine with hybrid drivetrain is also available for all model grades.
All the Australian Corolla hatchbacks come with 7 SRS Airbags, Lane Departure Alert, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control, Hill-start Assist Control and Active Cornering Assist. The base model with manual transmission is equipped with High-speed Active Cruise Control, while all the CVT models have All-speed Active Cruise Control. The SX and ZR have dual zone air-conditioning and wireless phone charger. The ZR comes with standard heated front sports front bucket seats, intelligent ambient illumination, auto-dimming rear view mirror, 8-speakers JBL audio system and 18-inch alloy wheels.
The Corolla Hatchback has been available in South Africa since February 2019 in two trim levels: XS and XR. Both trims are powered by a 1.2 L turbocharged engine. Both the 6-speed manual transmission and CVT are available on the XS trim, while the XR trim is only offered with CVT.
- 2018 Toyota Corolla (ANCAP):
On October 2, 2018, the Corolla Hatchback received a "Top Safety Pick Award" but not a "Plus" award because of its lack of good-rated headlamps. The same ratings were also received in 2019 for the 2020 model year Corolla sedan.
- Small Overlap (Driver) - Good
- Small Overlap (Passenger) - Good
- Moderate Overlap Front - Good
- Side - Good
- Roof - Good
- Head Restraints and Seats - Good
- Front Crash Prevention - Superior
- Headlamps - Acceptable
- Child Seat Anchors (LATCH) ease of use - Good
- Entune 3.0 incorporates Apple CarPlay, Verizon Wi-Fi, and Amazon Alexa voice commands.
- Tan, Danny (2018-11-16). "2019 Toyota Corolla sedan – US vs global spec design". paultan.org. Malaysia. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- Karkafiris, Michael (2019-01-16). "Toyota Starts Production Of 2019 Corolla Hatch And Estate In The UK". Carscoops. US. Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- "Turkey's economic development builds on vibrant private sector". Daily Sabah. Istanbul. 2019-01-28. Retrieved 2019-02-13.
- "Yoshiki Konishi, Current Chief Engineer for Corolla" (Press release). Japan: Toyota. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "New Auris" (Press release). Geneva: Toyota Europe. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "【スクープ】トヨタ・カローラセダン＆ワゴンの詳細判明！ 3ナンバー化も国内専用ボディサイズを採用 – WEB CARTOP" [[Scoop] The details of Toyota Corolla sedan & wagon become clear! adopts domestic dedicated body size 3]. WEB CARTOP (in Japanese). Japan. 2019-06-18. Retrieved 2019-07-02.
- "【2019年9月発売の新型カローラの価格判明！】初の3ナンバー 約50万円値上げ! もう日本のカローラじゃない?" [[The price of the new Corolla released in September 2019 is known!] First 3-number cars raised by about 500,000 yen! Not a Japanese Corolla?]. Best Car Web (in Japanese). Japan. 2019-08-06. Retrieved 2019-08-07.
- Szymkowski, Sean (2018-02-26). "Toyota to debut 2019 Corolla hatchback at Geneva motor show". Motor Authority. Australia. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Toyota Corolla enters an exciting new era" (Press release). UK: The official blog of Toyota GB. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "An exciting new era for Corolla" (Press release). Toyota Europe. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Toyota Auris 將於 9 月初台灣上市，頂規售價不會超過 93 萬元！" [Toyota Auris will be launched in Taiwan in early September, and the top price will not exceed RMB 930,000!]. Liberty Times Net (in Chinese). Taiwan. 2018-06-26. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- Allan, Lawrence (2018-10-02). "Toyota Corolla Touring Sports revealed at Paris motor show". Autocar. UK. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Toyota Unveils New Corolla Sedans at China's Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition" (Press release). Japan: Toyota. 2018-11-16. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- "All-New 2020 Toyota Corolla Ready to Rock the Sedan World" (Press release). US: Toyota. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- "New 2019 Toyota Corolla Saloon joins hatch and estate". Auto Express. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- "New 2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan Is Here, All Sharpened Up | Carscoops". Carscoops. 2018-11-15. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- Newton, Bruce (2018-11-16). "New Toyota Corolla sedan revealed – motoring.com.au". motoring.com.au. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- "Introducing the all-new Toyota Corolla sedan". Top Gear. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- Lye, Gerard (2019-09-12). "2019 Toyota Corolla now open for booking in Malaysia - Toyota Safety Sense offered; est price from RM129k". paultan.org. Malaysia. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Candra, Cornelius (2019-03-30). "All-New Toyota Corolla Altis Dirilis di Taiwan, Berikutnya Indonesia?". Otosia (in Indonesian). Indonesia. Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- Leu, Richard (2019-09-03). "2019 Toyota Corolla Altis: Thai prices and specs". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- De Guzman, Marcus (2019-09-09). "2020 Toyota Corolla Altis rolls out, starts Php 999K". AutoIndustriya.com. Philippines. Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- Grecia, Leandre (2019-09-09). "The all-new Toyota Corolla Altis has finally arrived; prices start at P999K". Top Gear Philippines. Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- Arifin, Ridwan (2019-09-12). "Toyota Corolla Altis Meluncur, Dibanderol Mulai dari Rp 468,2 Juta". detikOto (in Indonesian). Indonesia. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Katana, Satria (2019-09-12). "All New Toyota Corolla Altis : Dapat Varian Hybrid & Toyota Safety Sense!". Autonetmagz.com (in Indonesian). Indonesia. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Toyota to Unveil New Corolla and New Levin Sedans at China's Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition" (Press release). Japan: Toyota. 2018-11-09. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- Karkafiris, Michael (2018-06-26). "JDM-spec Toyota Corolla Sport Launched In Hybrid and Turbo Guises". Carscoops. US. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Tajitsu, Naomi (2018-06-26). "Toyota gives Corolla a sporty makeover to draw young drivers in..." Reuters. US. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Braga, Beverly (2018-04-30). "First Drive: The all-new 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback has a penchant for play and practicality". New York Daily News. United States. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Corolla Hatchback: In-Depth Review / Toyota". Toyota USA. 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2018-09-05 – via Youtube.
- "Toyota to Roll Out 2nd Generation Toyota Safety Sense Active Safety Packages from 2018" (Press release). Japan: Toyota. 2017-11-29. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- Garcia, Gerardo (2019-05-09). "Toyota Corolla 2020: Precios, versiones y equipamiento en México" (in Spanish). Mexico. Retrieved September 13, 2019.
- "Electrifying Design Meets Electrified Power in First-Ever Corolla Hybrid" (Press release). Los Angeles: Toyota. 2018-11-28. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Anantharaman, Krishnan (2018-12-03). "As cars slide, Toyota leans in". Automotive News. Crain Communications, Inc. Archived from the original on 2018-12-15. Retrieved 2018-12-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Marinov, Boyan (7 December 2018). "2019 Toyota Corolla price, specs and release date". Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "2018 Toyota Geneva MS Speech" (Press release). Europe: Toyota. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "An exciting new era for Corolla" (Press release). Europe: Toyota. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- Campbell, Matt (2018-08-09). "Toyota Corolla 2018 review". CarsGuide. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- Bubear, Ryan (2019-02-15). "New Toyota Corolla Hatch in SA! Check out local pricing…". CAR magazine. South Africa. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Woosey, Jason (2019-02-15). "Toyota's bold new Corolla hatch is here: SA prices & specs". IOL Motoring. South Africa. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Toyota Corolla (Aug 2018 – onwards) Crash Test Results / ANCAP". ANCAP.
- "Redesigned Toyota Corolla earns Top Safety Pick". IIHS. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "2019 Toyota Corolla (IIHS)". Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
- "Redesigned Toyota Corolla sedan earns Top Safety Pick". IIHS. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toyota Corolla (E210).|
|Subcompact||Yaris Sedan||Yaris Sedán(M)||Yaris Sedán(M)|
|Yaris Liftback||Yaris Liftback||Yaris Liftback(C)||Yaris Hatchback(C+US)|
|Matrix||Corolla iM||Corolla Hatch|
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid||Prius Prime|