|Also called||Toyota Kijang Innova (Indonesia)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door wagon|
The Toyota Innova (Japanese: トヨタイノーバ Toyota Inōba) is a compact MPV manufactured by Toyota. It is produced in Indonesia under supervision by Toyota Astra Motor since 2004. As with Kijang, which it replaced, the Innova is produced and first marketed in 2004 in Indonesia. The Innova is part of Toyota's IMV program together with the Hilux pickup truck and the Fortuner SUV. Its official name in Indonesia is Toyota Kijang Innova, while for other countries it is Innova.
The Innova is also sold in India (replacing the Qualis), Malaysia (replacing the Unser), the Philippines (replacing the Revo), Taiwan (replacing the Zace Surf), Vietnam (replacing Zace), Jamaica and Thailand. Unlike some of its competitors, such as the TATA Sumo Grande, Chevrolet Tavera, or the Mahindra Xylo, but like the newly launched Tata Aria, the Innova looks more like a minivan. The Innova is also available in Brunei, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Oman, Kuwait and the UAE. The name "Innova" comes from the English word innovation.
First generation (AN40; 2004–2015)
|First generation (AN40)|
Pre-facelift Toyota Innova (Taiwan)
|Production||September 2004–October 2015|
|Designer||Kaoru Hosokawa (2003; 2008 facelift: 2006; 2011 facelift: 2009; 2013 facelift: 2012)|
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||Toyota IMV platform|
|Wheelbase||2,750 mm (108.3 in)|
|Length||4,555 mm (179.3 in)|
|Width||1,770 mm (69.7 in)|
|Height||1,750 mm (68.9 in)|
|Curb weight||1,665 kg (3,671 lb)|
On 2 September 2004, Toyota launched the AN40 series Innova, badged Kijang Innova in Indonesia. This came after the 2003 introduction of the new Avanza—the replacement for low-spec versions of the Kijang. Thus, Innova is more luxurious and expensive than the Kijang. The Kijang Innova has a body-on-frame chassis constructed from the Toyota IMV platform, as shared with the Hilux pickup truck and Fortuner SUV.
The Innova MPV sold in large numbers in India (where it's known as an MUV)- primarily serving the tourist taxi market and fleet operations of large technology business process outsourcing companies. It also enjoyed large markets in Malaysia, East Timor and Philippines. In the Philippines, it replaced the Revo, the name of Kijang in that market.
The Innova is powered by either a gasoline 2.0-liter 136 PS (100 kW) 1TR-FE VVT-i, a 2.7-liter (2TR-FE) version of the same, or a 2.5-liter 102 PS (75 kW) 2KD-FTV D-4D common rail turbocharged diesel engine. Trim levels are J, E, G, and V. The 2.7-liter unit is only for the V, with automatic transmission.
The 2.7-liter gasoline engine was dropped from the Indonesian market due to low demand. The diesel variants use turbocharged 2KD-FTV engine which produces 102 hp (76 kW) and 260 N·m (190 lb·ft) of torque when mated to the four-speed automatic transmission and 200 N·m (150 lb·ft) when mated to the five-speed manual. Gasoline versions are also available in five-speed manual or four-speed automatic versions. All variants utilise the rear-wheel drive configuration. It is available in five variants : GX, VX and ZX for 2.4- and GX and ZX for the 2.8-liter.
The 2008 facelifted Innova was first spotted in Indonesia, and launched in August 2008. It featured a redesigned front and rear bumper, front grille, and rear tail lamps. The V variants use updated wheels. This model also features automatic climate control, side door impact beams, as well as new extras such as parking sensors and an in-dash CD changer. It is on sale in Far East Asian and Middle East markets. The Innova was launched in November 2008 in the Philippines and on 28 January 2009 in India. In Indonesia, the facelifted versions include the E variant, which now features the parts from the first-generation G variant.
On 22 July 2011, PT Toyota Astra Motor launched the second facelift of the Innova, which is also known as the Grand New Kijang Innova. It featured redesigned headlights, grille, bonnet, bumpers & tail lights. The interior is updated with a new steering wheel, new air-conditioning knobs (for non V variants), and a revised center dashboard.
On 19 August 2013, PT Toyota Astra Motor launched the third facelift of the Innova, which is known as the New Kijang Innova. Changes consist of a larger grille, redesigned bumpers and a new trunk garnish exclusive to the E, G and V variants. A four-spoke steering wheel and dual airbags are also standard features on this model.
Sold as the Kijang Innova, the models available were J Business, J, E, G, G Luxury, V and V Luxury.
This generation, has been facelifted three times:
- 2008: Changed front bumper and grille design, rear lamps and bumpers, and redesigned the wheels (V only, G use the wheels from old V). Two-tone interior color (grey and beige) is now a standard.
- 2011: Changed front and rear fascia (such as lamps, bumpers & grille) and redesigned the wheels (V only, G use the wheels from old V). E grade now received alloy wheels (shared the same design with G, J grade received center caps) and double blower AC. The steering wheel design is now changed. Center dashboard fascia is now have freshened design and add more features such as sat-nav, cameras, etc. A rear wiper was now a standard.
- 2013: Redesigned the front bumper, rear bumper and grille (is now larger, similar to Toyota Alphard) and added rear ornaments (not available for J). G, V and Luxury variants got two-tone wheel color and new aerokit. Interior color changed to black and grey. ABS, four-spoke steering wheel, rear blower and dual SRS airbags is now a standard.
In India, the Innova is available with twelve variants. Three variants of the Innova come with a petrol engine option which is powered by a 1,998 cc, 1TR-FE, gasoline, inline four-cylinder petrol engine with electronic fuel injection. The diesel variants of the Innova are powered by 2,494 cc, 2KD-FTV diesel with intercooler and turbocharger four-cylinder engine. In 2012, Toyota Bharat introduced a new grade "Z" in India which is placed above the VX grade—making it the most expensive trim in the entire line up. The available grades are E, G, GX, VX and Z.
The first generation Innova received an update for the Indian market in 2015. With this update, all variants gained dual airbags and there were cosmetic changes such as the inclusion of dark grey two-tone alloy wheels, wood finished steering wheel, redesigned leather seats, and a new oak interior colour. Rear HVAC outlets were also specified as standard as part of this update.
The Innova was launched on 27 May 2005 replacing the Toyota Unser. The Innova is currently offered in two variants, which are both powered by Toyota's 1TR-FE 2.0-liter engine featuring VVT-i. The powertrains available are either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic with ECT.
The Innova was introduced in 2005 to replace the Toyota Revo and bring it to international level. Variants include the J, the E (mid-level model with power features, airbags, and only available with a Diesel engine, but a gasoline engine variant was added for MY 2008), the G (middle model with carry over features from the E Variant but with leather seats and interiors), and V, (high end model, which was introduced in the last quarter of 2006 and only available with an automatic transmission, captains chairs on the middle row, and high end audio system). It is used as a taxicab by the Ninoy Aquino International Airport's coupon taxi companies, as a metered taxicab in Metro Manila and as a patrol vehicle by the Philippine National Police. An upgrade vision of the Innova E trim was called the Sport Runner. It is only available with a 2.5-liter 2KD-FTV turbocharged diesel engine and was offered with an automatic or manual transmission. It was offered until early 2012 and in that same year, a facelift version of the Innova was launched, featuring a redesigned front bumper, headlights, and taillights. The only difference is that the E variant offers Twilight blue color and in early 2014 another facelift version of the Innova was launched redesigned front bumper and tailgate were featured and an additional color was add Dark brown metallic was available in E,G and V variants and the V variant receives GPS navigation. In June 2015, TMP offered a limited edition 1 million Innova with GPS navigation, rear spoiler and 1 million badge and it has an additional emerald green exterior color.
The Innova was the first product of Toyota Motor Vietnam (TMV) and was introduced in January 2006.
Second generation (AN140; 2015–present)
|Second generation (AN140)|
|Designer||Hiroki Nakajima (2013)|
|Body and chassis|
|Wheelbase||2,750 mm (108.3 in)|
|Length||4,735 mm (186.4 in)|
|Width||1,830 mm (72.0 in)|
|Height||1,795 mm (70.7 in)|
The second generation Innova, the AN140 series, was launched on 23 November 2015 in Jakarta, Indonesia. The new series is a completely new vehicle with a new platform and new diesel engines. 2.0- and 2.7-liter petrol engines are carried over from the previous model, while 2.4- and 2.8-liter diesel engines are completely new. The available transmission options are five-speed manual and six-speed automatic.
Models range from the base Grande (G type) to the Victory (V type) to the top level Quantum (Q type). J and E variants were stopped because of low demand.
The G and V variants were equipped with standard halogen headlamps with reflector, while the Q variant has LED projector headlamps and LED daytime running lights. All models were equipped with 16-inch alloy wheels as standard. Only the 2.4 Q has 17-inch alloy wheels. Outer mirror with turning signals was available as standard feature. Optional body kit is available for all variants.
All models have multi information display (monochrome for G and TFT screen for V and Q), parking camera, driving mode selector (Eco & Power mode), triple blower AC, steering-mounted audio control, 6 speakers, chilled glove box and a tilt-telescopic steering system as standard. G variant has a 2 DIN audio system with 7-inch touchscreen monitor, while the V and Q were equipped with 8-inch monitor. All models were capable to play MP3, MP4, DVD and WMA. SD card reader, USB port, AUX in, Bluetooth and voice command were available as standard. V and Q audio systems were enhanced with Miracast, DLNA, WiFi, internet browser, Toyota Move application and GPS navigation system. Automatic dual zone climate control AC was available as standard for V and Q variants. G and V has copper brown interior color with faux aluminium panel, while Q variant has full black interior color, wood panel and captain seats as standard. The start-stop engine button and follow me home function are only available in Q variant. The Q diesel variant exclusively provides emergency brake signal, vehicle stability control, and hill-start assist. These features are not present in the Q gasoline.
The 2.4-liter 2GD-FTV diesel engine generates 149 PS (110 kW) and 36.7 kg·m (360 N·m) of torque when mated to the six-speed automatic transmission and 34.9 kg·m (342 N·m) of torque when mated to the five-speed manual.
For the Indian market, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) showcased the second generation Innova at Auto Expo in February 2016. Called the Innova Crysta, the all-new model of the MPV was launched in May 2016. Exclusive for this model is a 2.8-liter 1GD-FTV inline-four turbo diesel engine producing 132 kW (177 hp) and 266 lb·ft (360 N·m). Features include cruise control, leather seats, powered seats and a powered boot lid. The MPV launched in May 2016 as with two diesel engine options: the 2.8-liter 1GD-FTV diesel and the 2.4-liter 2GD-FTV diesel. The 2.8-liter "1GD-FTV" gets the six-speed automatic transmission with sequential shift while the 2.4-liter "2GD-FTV" gets the five-speed manual transmission. In August 2016 Toyota Bharat launched the petrol powered Innova Crysta with a 2.7 Litre 2TR-FE gasoline I4 engine producing 160 hp (120kW) and 181 lbf·ft (246 N·m). The petrol engine is mated with either a 5-speed or a 6-speed automatic transmission with sequential shift according to different trim levels.
The Indian specification AN140 employs a double wishbone suspension with coil springs and stabilizer up front and a four-link with coil spring and lateral road suspension at the rear. The low end variants ride on 16-inch wheels, while the top-end variant receives 17-inch wheels.
The all new second generation Innova (AN140) debuted in the Philippine market on 26 February 2016. The Innova variants includes the base J, the mid-level E, the higher spec G and the top of the line V.
The 2.8-liter turbodiesel engine power is rated at 171 PS (126 kW) and 360 N·m (270 lb·ft) of torque. Gasoline powered Innovas retain the familiar 2.0-liter TR engine with 136 PS (100 kW) and 183 N·m (135 lb·ft) of torque. Automatic transmission models inherit the six-speed automatic from its IMV cousins and also gets power and economy modes. A five-speed manual is also available. The J, E, and G variants received a standard halogen headlamps, while top-end V variant features LED projector headlamps and LED daytime running lights. The Philippine specification Innova (G/V) is equipped with a touchscreen as standard. On the side, the 2016 Innova continued to be manufactured at Toyota's assembly plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna, rolled out on 14 April 2016 and went on sale across Toyota's Philippine dealerships later.
Al Futtaim Motors, the distributor of Toyota in UAE, launched the AN140 on 6 April 2016. The UAE-specification is available with the 2.7-liter 2TR-FE producing 122 kW (164 hp) and 180 lb·ft (250 N·m) of torque, combined with the six-speed automatic transmission.
The AN140 is already patented and scheduled for launch in China later.
On 18 July 2016, the AN140 series launched in Vietnam with three different trim levels: Innova V, Innova E, and Innova G.
The AN140 is marketed in Thailand as the Innova Crysta. The trim levels are E, G, and V.
- "Toyota and Daihatsu to Increase Production Capacity in Indonesia" (Press release). Daihatsu. 2005-04-26. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- Chowdhury, Mashfique Hussain (2008-11-25). "2009 Toyota Innova hits Dubai roads". Drive Arabia. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- "Toyota Indonesia website shows 360-degree view of revised Innova". Top Gear Philippines. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Toyota Kijang Innova". Toyota Astra Motor. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Chatterjee, Aditya (2015-01-06). "Updated Toyota Innova launched". CarTrade. India. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Toyota Innova and Fortuner refresh priced at Rs 10.38 lakh and Rs 24.17 lakh". Overdrive. India. 2015-01-08. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "All Toyotas to get airbags". Autocar India. 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- Satrio, Hillarius (2016-10-25). "Finally All New Toyota Kijang Innova 2015 Brochure Version Leaked, Here Are The Features and Specifications!". AutonetMagz. Indonesia. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Toyota Kijang Innova brochure" (in Indonesian). Toyota Astra Motor. 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- Satrio, Hillarius (2015-12-03). "First Impression Review All New Toyota Kijang Innova 2016". AutonetMagz. Indonesia. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- Yogi, Vikas (2016-04-27). "Toyota Innova Crysta". IndiaCarNews. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "Toyota Innova Crysta showcased with 2.8-liter diesel engine – Auto Expo 2016". Indian Autos Blog. 2016-02-04. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- Kumar, Ram (2016-05-03). "Innova facelift – Toyota Innova Crysta Launched at INR 13.84 lakh". Cars&Mobiles. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Chauhan, Yatharth (2016-03-17). "2016 Toyota Innova Crysta India Launch Details". Car Blog India. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Andres, Anton (2016-02-26). "2016 Toyota Innova debuts in the Philippines". AutoIndustriya. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- Ang, Ulysses (2016-02-28). "First Drive: 2016 Toyota Innova 2.8 G". CarGuide.ph. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "2016 Toyota Innova rolls off Philippine production line" (Press release). Toyota Philippines. 2016-04-15. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Al-Futtaim Motors launches all-new Toyota Innova". Trade Arabia. 2016-04-07. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- "Toyota Innova Crysta patented in China". Indian Autos Blog. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Mua Toyota Innova 2016 chỉ 160 triệu – Giá xe Innova 2016" (in Vietnamese). Toyota Ly Thuong Kiet. 2016-07-19. Archived from the original on 2016-08-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toyota Innova.|