Toyota Kirloskar Motor
|Founded||6 October 1997|
|Mr. Akito Tachibana |
Mr. V. S. Kirloskar
Number of employees
|Parent||Toyota Motor Corporation, Kirloskar Group|
|Subsidiaries||Toyota Kirloskar Auto Parts Private Limited|
Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt Ltd is a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation of Japan (with Kirloskar Group as a minority owner), for the manufacture and sales of Toyota cars in India. It is currently the 4th largest car maker in India after Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, and Mahindra.
On 7 June 2012, Vice Chairman of the company revealed that the company is planning to enter the healthcare sector and its first hospital would open in Karnataka in May 2013.
TKMPL's current plant at Bidadi, Karnataka is spread across 850 acres and has a capacity of 110,000 vehicles per annum. TKMPL's second manufacturing plant on the outskirts of Bangalore, Karnataka has a capacity of 210,000 vehicles per annum. Both plants have a combined capacity of 320,000 vehicles per annum. On 16 March 2011, it announced that it was increasing production to 210,000 vehicles per annum due to increase in demand for its models especially the Etios and Fortuner.
With effect from 1 June 2012, Toyota Kirloskar Motor will be increasing the prices of Etios diesel and Innova by 1 per cent and Fortuner and Etios Liva diesel by 0.5 per cent. The price hike is on account of the weakening of Rupee. Toyota announced that Etios sedan and the Liva hatchback has posted sales of over 100,000 units, hence Toyota is all set for giving its production a big boost.Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) plans to hike the production capacity of its Etios series models by 75% by early 2013. Toyota Kirloskar Motors would launch its motor racing series in 3 cities in India next year.
On 16 March 2014, Toyota Kirloskar Motor temporarily suspended the production at two of its assembly plants in Bidadi, Karnataka whose production capacity was 310,000 units annually and has employee strength of 6,400. Cause for the shutdown was failure to reach an agreement with the union over the issue of wages, deliberate stoppages of the production line by certain sections of the employees and abusing & threatening of supervisors thereby disrupting the production for the past 25 days. Toyota Kirloskar Motor announced on 21 March 2014 to lift the lockout at the plants effective from 24 March 2014 with subject to an acceptance of a service condition which requires all the employees signing an undertaking on good conduct. On 22 April 2014, employees called off the strike after 36 days of standoff and resumed full operations.
Etios motor racing
Toyota India started a One make racing series in India with the Etios car called the 'Etios Motor Racing Series'. The series started in 2012, it witnessed an overwhelming response from the Indian youngsters, with 3300 applicants. They held 2 rounds of exhibition races in 2012, one at a purpose built race track in Chennai called the Sriperumbudur race track and other in the form of ROC (Race of champions) in Gurgaon. The 25 selected drivers then competed in the main championship held in the later half of 2013. The cars were prepared by Red Rooster Performance (based in Bangalore), and designed by TRD (Toyota Racing Development). With stock engines producing almost 100 bhp, the cars were a good platform for youngsters to step from karting to touring cars.Also the relatively cheaper budget of just $3216 for the entire series which includes an entire OMP racing kit makes it one of the best one-make series to compete in.
- Toyota Corolla Altis (Launched 2003)
- Toyota Etios (Launched 2010)
- Toyota Etios Cross (Launched 2014)
- Toyota Etios Liva (Launched 2011)
- Toyota Fortuner (Launched 2009)
- Toyota Innova Crysta (Launched 2016)
- Toyota Innova Touring Sport (Launched 2017)
- Toyota Camry (Launched 2008)
- Toyota Yaris (Launched 2018)
- Toyota Land Cruiser (Launched 2009)
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (Launched 2004)
- Toyota Prius (Launched 2010-2015; 2017–present)
Sales and service network
TKMPL sold 74,759 vehicles in India in the year 2010 registering a growth rate of 38% compared to 2009 sales.
- "Toyota Kirloskar Motor steps up for the challenge to curtail carbon footprint in the city" (Press release). India: Toyota. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Careers". Toyota Kirloskar. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Toyota in India". Toyota Kirloskar. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Toyota Kirloskar plans to enter healthcare sector". 7 June 2012.
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor Ltd., Toyota Kirloskar Motors, Toyota Qualis, Toyota Innova, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Toyota Plado
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 March 2011. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 April 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Toyota to hike product prices". 1 June 2012.
- "Toyota Etios and Liva production to be hiked by 75%". 31 May 2012.
- "Toyota to launch motor racing series next year in India". 2 June 2012.
- "Toyota shuts 2 India plants in lockout over wages". Hindustan Times. 17 March 2014.
- "Toyota Kirloskar declares lock-out". The Hindu. 16 March 2014.
- "Toyota Kirloskar Motor declares lockout at Bidadi over labour woes". The Economic Times. 16 March 2014.
- "Toyota declares lockout at its Bidadi facility". Times of India. 16 March 2014.
- "Toyota agrees to lift lockout at its Bangalore units". Times of India. 21 March 2014.
- "Toyota crisis resolved, company lifts lockout". The Hindu. 21 March 2014.
- "Toyota plant in Bangalore resumes operations as workers return". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 January 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor’s records 38% growth in sales in the year 2010 Archived 12 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine.