Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi
|Founded||October 10, 2011|
|Sean Suggs (president)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Toyota Motor North America|
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc. (TMMMS) is a Toyota manufacturing facility located in Blue Springs, Mississippi that opened in October 2011. The facility currently produces the Toyota Corolla for the North American market. The plant has the capacity to produce 170,000 vehicles per year and employs over 1,700 workers.
Toyota announced on February 27, 2007, that it would build its fourteenth North American plant in Blue Springs, Mississippi. The plan was to employ about 2,000 people to build the Highlander SUV beginning in 2010 at an annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles per year. A groundbreaking ceremony for the facility was held on April 18, 2007.
Construction of the plant was put on hold on December 15, 2008, due to the Great Recession in the United States. Construction resumed on June 17, 2010, and at that time, Toyota announced that the plant would now produce the Toyota Corolla, replacing the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California which closed on April 1, 2010.
The plant began production of the Corolla on October 10, 2011 and the first vehicle rolled off the production line on November 17, 2011. A second shift was added to the plant on February 6, 2012.
The plant built nearly 1.2 million 11th generation Corollas, with the last rolling off the production line on February 22, 2019. The plant spent a few weeks preparing to produce the all-new 12th-generation Corolla, which is built on the new Toyota New Global Architecture B platform and now includes a hybrid electric powertrain. The first 12th generation Corolla was completed on March 18, 2019.
- Toyota Corolla (2011–present)
|Milestones: 500k units: Feb. 12, 2015; 1M units: Dec. 12, 2017|
Source: "Toyota USA Newsroom".
- McCausland, Evan (July 10, 2008). "Mississippi Plant to Build Toyota Prius Hybrids". Automobile.
- "Second Shift Added to Toyota's Mississippi, U.S. Plant". Toyota Motor Corporation. February 7, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Donahoe, Jane (November 17, 2011). "Toyota begins Corolla production in Mississippi". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Seid, Dennis (February 22, 2019). "End of an era: Toyota Mississippi prepares for next-generation Corolla". Daily Journal. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Seid, Dennis (March 18, 2019). "New Toyota Corolla makes official debut today". Daily Journal. Retrieved August 18, 2020.