Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi
|Subsidiaries||Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America|
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc. (TMMMS) is a Toyota manufacturing facility located in Blue Springs, Mississippi, is Toyota’s fourteenth North American plant, further advancing the company’s efforts to design, develop and build vehicles where they are sold. The plant has the annual capacity to produce 170,000 vehicles and employs nearly 2,000. Toyota has invested $1.3 billion in the Blue Springs facility since 2010.
When Toyota announced the Blue Springs project, they also announced a partnership with the CREATE Foundation and a donation of $50 million - $5 million a year for 10 years - was also announced toward an innovative addition to the public school system in the Pontotoc, Union, and Lee counties.
- Feb. 27, 2007: Toyota announces it will build a plant in Blue Springs, Miss. to build the Highlander SUV. Production was expected to being in 2010 at an annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles per year. Projected employment was 2,000.
- April 18, 2007: Groundbreaking on Blue Springs facility.
- July 10, 2008: Production adjustment. Toyota moves the Highlander SUV to its Indiana plant and names Toyota Mississippi as new home of the Prius.
- Dec. 15, 2008: Plant construction put on hold indefinitely due to market conditions.
- June 17, 2010: TMMMS announces it will produce the Toyota Corolla in late 2011.
- November 17, 2011: Toyota celebrates production of first Corolla made in Mississippi.
- February 06, 2012: Toyota Mississippi adds second shift.
- April 17, 2014: Toyota Mississippi begins producing Corollas for export to customers in Central and South America and the Caribbean.
- Feb. 12, 2015: 500,000 Corolla rolls off the line at Toyota Mississippi.
- April 13, 2017: Toyota Mississippi announces it will build a 15,000 square foot visitor and interactive training center. Construction is expected to begin in late 2018 with a targeted completion date in mid-2019.
- November 4, 2017: Toyota Mississippi celebrates its 10 year anniversary in Mississippi.
- Dec. 12, 2017: 1 millionth Mississippi-built Toyota Corolla rolls off the line.
Toyota Corolla (2011–Present)
The plant produced almost 1.2 million 11th generation Corollas and began making 12th generation Corollas on March 18, 2019.
|Annual Corolla Production at TMMMS, 2011–present|
|0.5M Feb. 12, 2015; 1M Dec. 12, 2017|
Source: "Toyota USA Newsroom".
- McCausland, Evan (July 10, 2008). "Mississippi Plant to Build Toyota Prius Hybrids". Automobile.
- Seid, Dennis (22 February 2019). "End of an era: Toyota Mississippi prepares for next-generation Corolla". Daily Journal. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to an automotive factory or manufacturer facility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|