Trần Văn Khiêm
Trần Văn Khiêm is the younger brother of Madame Ngô Đình Nhu, the former First Lady of South Vietnam, and a South Vietnamese politician, lawyer and public servant. He was a press officer for South Vietnamese President Ngô Đình Diệm.
In 1963, during the Buddhist crisis, with relations between the United States and South Vietnam deteriorating, Khiêm drew up a hit list of American officials. In the September 1963 legislative elections, Khiêm stood for the National Assembly for a seat in Vĩnh Long, which he subsequently won. At the same time, he was estranged from his sister and her husband, who suspected him of handing over sensitive information about the government.
In Paris, France he had a child named Pierre with Mireille Sautereau.
In 1986, Khiêm was charged with killing his parents, Trần Văn Chuơng and Madame Chuơng, in their Washington, D.C. home. Chuơng had been South Vietnam's ambassador to the United States and observer at the United Nations during the reign of his sister's brother-in-law, Ngô Đình Diệm. Khiêm was ruled unfit for trial on grounds of mental incompetence.
In 1993, he was released from St. Elizabeths Hospital, when D.C. Superior Court Judge Curtis E. von Kann ruled that he will never be competent to assist in his defense. Immigration Judge John Milo Bryant ordered that Khiem be deported, and Immigration and Naturalization Service officials took him to Dulles International Airport, where he boarded a flight to France.
- Warner, Denis (1963). The Last Confucian. Macmillan., p. 105; ASIN: B0000CM9RN.
- Rust, William J. (1985). Kennedy in Vietnam: American Vietnam Policy, 1960-1963. Scribner. ISBN 0-684-18370-6.
- Warner, p. 231.
- Warner, pp. 223, 235.
- A Journey From Glory to the Grave : Prominent Vietnamese Family's Saga Began in Palace, May End in Court in the Wake of a Double Death - Page 3 - Los Angeles Times
- The Washington Post A Journey From Glory to the Grave - Prominent Vietnamese Family's Saga Began in Palace, May End in Court in the Wake of a Double Death November 05, 1987
- Tucker, Spencer C. (2000). Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War. ABC-CLIO. pp. 288–293. ISBN 1-57607-040-9.
- Judge Frees Son Held in Parents' Deaths; Man Ruled Unfit For Trial in 86 Case