Trace Lysette is an American actress. She plays Shea on the Amazon Video web television series Transparent (2014–present). Lysette is a transgender woman, and one of the first trans people to appear as a non-transgender person on prime time television in a speaking role.
In her late teens, Lysette was a track athlete and performed as a showgirl in bars around her native Dayton and Columbus, Ohio. She worked as a hairstylist and makeup artist before beginning her acting career. Her television debut was a guest appearance in an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit as one of the first trans people to appear in a non trans speaking role on primetime television.
After working in non-transgender roles, Lysette chose to come out during her audition for the Amazon series Transparent. On the show, she plays Shea, a transgender yoga teacher and friend of Maura Pfefferman (Jeffrey Tambor). After Lysette originally auditioned for the role of Davina, Transparent creator Jill Soloway wrote the role of Shea for her. The third season of Transparent contains a storyline in which Shea has a romantic relationship with a cisgender heterosexual man, which has been called "a groundbreaking TV moment for a trans character."
In 2017, transgender actors and actresses including Lysette (with the help of GLAAD and ScreenCrush) were part of a filmed letter to Hollywood written by Jen Richards, asking for more and improved roles for transgender people.
|2013||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Lila||Episode: "Internal Affairs"|
|2014||Coffee House Chronicles||Rachel||Episode: "Tran-sitions"|
|2015||The Curse of the Fuentes Women||Gloria||Television film|
|2015||I Am Cait||Herself||3 episodes|
|2016 - 2019||Drunk History||Sylvia Rivera, Elizabeth Eden||2 episodes|
|2015–2016||Blunt Talk||Gisele||3 episodes|
|2018||Pose||Clothing Store Saleswoman||Episode: "Love is the Message"|
|2018||Midnight, Texas||Celeste||Episode: "Drown the Sadness in Chardonnay"|
|2017||"Name for You" (Flipped)||The Shins|
|2018||"Girls Like You" (Original, Volume 2 and Vertical Video versions)||Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B|||
- "GLAAD chats with Trace Lysette, star of Transparent and Blunt Talk". GLAAD. 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Transparent's Trace Lysette on her personal connection to Shea's journey this season". 2016-09-29. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "'Transparent' Star on Josh and Shea's Groundbreaking Romance: "It's Just Boy Meets Girl"". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Kellaway, Mitch (2015-04-15). "After Years of Hiding in Hollywood, Trans Actress Trace Lysette Is Finally 'Living Out Loud'". Advocate.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "New Video Breaks Down Why Hollywood Needs Transgender Actors | HuffPost". Huffingtonpost.com. 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- Reynolds, Daniel. "Trans Actors Ask Hollywood for Roles With Dignity and Depth in Open Letter". Advocate.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- Amatulli, Jenna. "Maroon 5, Cardi B's 'Girls Like You' Video Is A Star-Studded Dance Party". HuffPost. Archived from the original on May 31, 2018. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- Glicksman, Josh. "Maroon 5 Releases New Version of 'Girls Like You' Music Video: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Maroon 5 – Girls Like You (feat. Cardi B)". Spotify.
- "Teyana Taylor Is a Voguing Cinderella in 'WTP'". PAPER. 2019-01-24. Retrieved 2019-01-24.